Catalyst NOT required for MOT - Page 3 - Exhausts / Induction (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Catalyst NOT required for MOT

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 philwalker

philwalker

Diesel Head

• Members
  • 1929 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:.Golf GTTDI

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:22 PM

hi just read this thread and sounds like you can get a pass on a MOT with out having a CAT on a TDCI. mmm i was thinking of De Catting mine but worried about CO2 ect.

I might just get a sports Cat.

Cats do not reduce CO2. A diesel's cat dramatically reduces carbon monoxide and unburned hydrocarbon emissions. Decatting is, IMO, selfish and irresponsible - makes your car emit ten times as much CO and HC for what? A couple of horsepower? :annoyed:

Calm down dear!!

just look at what comes out of buses and trains and compare that to a decated car and there is no comparison. :shocked:

After 11 years in MK 3 Mondeos...My company have moved me on to a Vauxhall Insignia Sport Tourer

#22 sye01

sye01

Little Megger

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

Good point well made!

Just Joined TF!

• Validating
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:00 PM

Had MOT test a couple of days ago on my Mondeo TDCI 130 and passed with Graham's decat pipe without a mention.

As to the emissions debate I get a best of 58 mpg tank to tank rather than 52 mpg with the cat which is surely better for the environment...

#24 graemewelch

graemewelch

MEG Captain

• Members
  • 5283 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:14 PM

sounds like your well happy with it.

#25 Tharkz

Tharkz

Little Megger

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:'15 Focus ECOnetic

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

I'm so torn in this matter.
I'm really really tempted to order one of Graeme's decats. It's going to get me a bit more power and a bit less fuel consumption. On the other hand it filters out 90-95% of those particles that are actually poisonus for humans to inhale (CO2 is not!). But it sounds so nice :D

Compared to decating the car I find it better to start by bypassing the EGR valve. After all it's only recycling a small part of that small part of particles that doesen't get properly combusted.

Candy Red '15 Focus ECOnetic Estate

No leather - No pensionist parking assist - No BLISS - No Teenager Trim - No tow hook

EVERYTHING ELSE!

#26 thelongmile

thelongmile

It was 49.95

• Members
  • 10123 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

Can I just clarify an issue here please

LEGALLY any car built after 1994 is required to have a catalytic converter fitted

HOWEVER Many cars do not require one to be fitted to pass emissions tests

BUT Most garages only care that you pass an emissions test, and thats the way it tends to stand

BUT STILL remember, it's a grey area, Technically you are breaking the law if you don't have one fitted, but you are complying with the law in the sense that you are passing emissions regulations. So it falls into that disgusting little grey area that noone can ever agree on.

Just be careful if you get an overzealous cop!

And you MUST declare it to insurance
Outlaw - BMW 120d Sport - FINALLY GONE!

2.2 2007 (56) Titanium X TDCi - Gone! But not forgotten!

Ford Fair 2008 Slideshow | thelongmile.net | follow me on twitter

New to the forum? For the love of god use the bloody search button! Click HERE!

#27 ronnieg

ronnieg

Little Megger

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:43 PM

just a point in Northern Ireland our test is alot stricter than the one on the mainland. all cars made after 1998 have to have a cat in place or it is an automatic fail. well aslong as a cat shaped box is present at least.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:07 PM

Isn't it the case that Cats produce more CO2 but less of the stuff that's bad for humans?

My Silvia returns better MPG cat-less, gets on boost so much faster and is much more enjoyable to drive :)

Just Joined TF!

• Validating
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

As far as i know the mondeo isnt fitted with a catalytic converter as standard its just a smog catcher of sorts so it doesnt actually catalyse anything,it collects smog until hot/revving hard and then burns it off,im sure i read somewhere the newer euro 4 engines had a catalytic converter optional,im sure il be corrected?

Clever cloggs

• Validating
  • 1614 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

I think what you're thinking of is a DPF (diesel particulate filter) which when revved harder does burn diesel exhaust soot off. Thats not the job of the catalytic convertor. And yes a DPF was an optional extra on the TDCi from 06 onwards

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users