Catalyst NOT required for MOT - Page 2 - Exhausts / Induction (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Catalyst NOT required for MOT

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#11 bip78

bip78

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:39 PM

It's very simple. There is no legal requirement to have a catalytic converter.

Just spoke to a garage 5 doors up from me, The owner said YES it is Illegal to REMOVE them, but he doubts many Police will get underneath the car and check if you have one or not, if any of them even know what one one looks like :flipoff: lol

So ill levae mine on & get a sports cat instead...think its a safer option.

#12 52graphite

52graphite

Still tinkering

• Members
  • 4620 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:41 PM

...but it's only illegal because there's no way the car will meet the required emissions levels without it. The law that's being broken is not the non-possession of a catalytic converter, but the resultant pollution being emitted from the vehicle.

my name is Mark.
2004 C-MAX Ghia 1.6 TDCi || A JLR vehicle of some description
Gone but not forgotten: 2002 Mk3 1.8 Graphite in Magnum Grey on LPG ¦ Garage entry
Haynes manuals at Amazon: Mondeo Mk1 diesel ¦ Mk1/2 petrol ¦ Mk3 pre-face/facelift | C-MAX

#13 rainbowcar

rainbowcar

Glen

• Members
  • 4110 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Ghia X TDDI
  • Name:Glen

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

bip78, your diesel car is measured on the amount of smoke it emits. Catalytic converters are fitted because the emissions of the vehicle are how they arer tax banded, that is to say that diesels have cats so that their road tax is cheaper. removing the cat does no harm to the car and will not even increase the amount of smoke produced. you car is 100% legal without a CAT.
Panther Black Mk3 TDDi Ghia X - Cream Leather!

Metropolis Blue Mk3 TDDi LX. - Gone but not forgotten.

#14 52graphite

52graphite

Still tinkering

• Members
  • 4620 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

I disagree. Your car is legally required to meet its homologated emissions for NOx, particulates (smoke), CO and hydrocarbons: usually Stage III for a Mk3 Mondeo. Without the cat, you're unlikely to remain within the CO and HC requirements. If the earlier post about them not being tested is correct, you may get away with it.

This is nothing to do with VED ("road tax"), which is based on CO2 emissions. The cat, as you infer, does nothing to affect CO2 emissions (except slightly degrade it due to increased fuel consumption).

When you take a de-catted diesel car in for its MoT test, you'll almost certainly fail for excessive CO+HC. rainbowcar - I'm open to corrections if you can tell me you've taken a de-catted diesel through a non-hooky MoT test.

bip78 - why would you want to do this, anyway? The cat sorts out 90% of the carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons coming out of your tailpipe. Do you think it's appropriate to subject everyone else to increased emissions just to gain a negligible amount of power?

my name is Mark.
Gone but not forgotten: 2002 Mk3 1.8 Graphite in Magnum Grey on LPG ¦ Garage entry
Haynes manuals at Amazon: Mondeo Mk1 diesel ¦ Mk1/2 petrol ¦ Mk3 pre-face/facelift | C-MAX

#15 rainbowcar

rainbowcar

Glen

• Members
  • 4110 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Ghia X TDDI
  • Name:Glen

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

re: ethics... ever thought about blocking your egr?

diesels are not tested for carbon monoxide or hydrocarbons, just smoke. as regarding meeting homologated emissions i would like to bet that a 100,000mile plus diesel with a tuning box/remap will produce 154g/km of co2 as advertised. also with a diesel, all you have to do is put in some bio diesel and bobs your uncle, instant emissions reduction! there is a very good reason why my diesel is £145 pa to tax and such as your 1.8 petrol is £270 under the new 'greener' rules.
Panther Black Mk3 TDDi Ghia X - Cream Leather!

Metropolis Blue Mk3 TDDi LX. - Gone but not forgotten.

#16 bip78

bip78

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:32 PM

bip78 - Do you think it's appropriate to subject everyone else to increased emissions just to gain a negligible amount of power?

In a simple answer = Yes.

#17 bip78

bip78

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:35 PM

No i cant joke lol, im into low emissions. But for a piece of hardware not being used....well to me is a waste. I will leave it on when i have my new exhaust done, prob switch it to a sports cat mind you.

At the end of the day im in no rush to get pulled over for not havin one, but on the flip side! you fing me a pig that will pull me over and give me a ruddy good telling off for not having one!

#18 Mr mondao

Mr mondao

Little Megger

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:54 PM

hi just read this thread and sounds like you can get a pass on a MOT with out having a CAT on a TDCI. mmm i was thinking of De Catting mine but worried about CO2 ect.

I might just get a sports Cat.

#19 graemewelch

graemewelch

MEG Captain

• Members
  • 5283 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:01 PM

will pass no problem, mine has passed the last 2 tests with a decat. diesels only get a smoke test

#20 52graphite

52graphite

Still tinkering

• Members
  • 4620 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:21 PM

hi just read this thread and sounds like you can get a pass on a MOT with out having a CAT on a TDCI. mmm i was thinking of De Catting mine but worried about CO2 ect.

I might just get a sports Cat.

Cats do not reduce CO2. A diesel's cat dramatically reduces carbon monoxide and unburned hydrocarbon emissions. Decatting is, IMO, selfish and irresponsible - makes your car emit ten times as much CO and HC for what? A couple of horsepower? :annoyed:

my name is Mark.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users