Catalyst NOT required for MOT - Exhausts / Induction (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Catalyst NOT required for MOT

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 totalguy

totalguy

TDDI Buff

• Members
  • 37060 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo tddi

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:48 PM

Had a browse on the net couldnt find much on vosa about this and i even tried ringing them but couldnt get through but i found the following information:

EMISSIONS TEST WITHOUT CAT
Is it a reqirement for a car to be fitted with a catalytic converter if is was original equipment. I have a 1994 Saab turbo which is currently running with a 3" front exhaust ipe(non-cat). Provided my car can meet the emisions levels required for the age of the vehicle am I correct in assuming that the presence of the 'cat' is not a necessity? - Mike Stevens

There is no necessity to have a catalytic converter on any vehicle. However, your vehicle will be MOT Tested as if it had one and it is unlikely that it will pass the emissions part of the MOT without the cat. The reason being that the engine and the catalytic converter were all part of the same integral design to meet the emission requirements when the vehicle was manufactured - MOT.

As proof i got this information here: http://www.motester....mot-qanda3.html

Seems a reputable enough source to me, might want to make this a sticky seen as this question is asked often.

51 plate ghia x tddi with extra oomph

Boost Pressure = ((MAP x 10) - BARO)/6.895 (use with F-Super readings)

My Blog http://abitoveverything.blogspot.co.uk

#2 steveo

steveo

MEG Sergeant

• Members
  • 2146 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:57 PM

it you get there geographical number which there hq is in bristol i think they will pick up right away. then they will give you your local office number, thats what i did and got through on both accounts right away.
i would use this website for it http://www.saynoto0870.com/ if im allowed to post this site i dont know so if i aint im sorrrryyy.
but yeh could be done with being a sticky though imho. but im no mod, only got the scooter lol.

2005 black 1.8 lx and glad to be back.

#3 rainbowcar

rainbowcar

Glen

• Members
  • 4110 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Ghia X TDDI
  • Name:Glen

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:36 PM

as a rule of thumb i think that a petrol neds a cat, and a diesel does not, to pass MOT emissions test.
Panther Black Mk3 TDDi Ghia X - Cream Leather!

Metropolis Blue Mk3 TDDi LX. - Gone but not forgotten.

#4 totalguy

totalguy

TDDI Buff

• Members
  • 37060 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo tddi

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:13 PM

a diesel does not get an emmissions test, it gets a smoke test according to vosa documentation, check their site for more info :L this message is for everyone.

51 plate ghia x tddi with extra oomph

Boost Pressure = ((MAP x 10) - BARO)/6.895 (use with F-Super readings)

My Blog http://abitoveverything.blogspot.co.uk

Likes to chat

• Validating
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

I can't remember who said it, or find it again but someone said that diesels don't have to pass emmissions tests, just smoke tests... is this true?

Benny

TF regular

• Validating
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:19 PM

look at the post above

Likes to chat

• Validating
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:55 AM

i feel really stupid now fdor not being able to see that! :sad:

#8 bip78

bip78

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:05 PM

a diesel does not get an emmissions test, it gets a smoke test according to vosa documentation, check their site for more info :L this message is for everyone.

Fair point, but this quote used "There is no necessity to have a catalytic converter on any vehicle. However, your vehicle will be MOT Tested as if it had one and it is unlikely that it will pass the emissions part of the MOT without the cat. The reason being that the engine and the catalytic converter were all part of the same integral design to meet the emission requirements when the vehicle was manufactured"

Then there is the argument about the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). Suely if you remove the DFP then the smoke level will rise, and if a CAT is NOT required on diesel's then why they fit them?!!! :kaffeetrinker_2:

Another quote "Not necessarily. Simply removing the particle filter does not mean you automatically fail the smoke test. If the smoke emissions are still measurably good (which they will be on a healthy DTurbo) then you should have no problem passing an MOT after this mod. I am yet to hear of someone who has failed their MOT as a direct result of removing the particle filter.

This is not to be confused with 'decat'ing a petrol vehicle where you almost certainly will fail the emissions test".

So having both will slow you down, removing both will speed things up. But by removing them you run the risk of a fail. Not on emissions but on the smoke test.

:tonofbricks: Im still confused as fick! I would love to get a new exhaust CAT free! or at least a sports CAT. What the hell is the difference between the 2 above? smaller? :susel:

SOMEONE CLEAR THIS UP PLEASE

#9 f33nix

f33nix

Big Megger

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:19 AM

A mate who is a lorry driver said that lorries don't have CAT boxes so we don't need 'em.

Perhaps there is another lorry driver that can confirm?
[color:blue]* Time is the best teacher, unfortunately it kills all of its students. *[/color]

#10 52graphite

52graphite

Still tinkering

• Members
  • 4620 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:29 AM

It's very simple. There is no legal requirement to have a catalytic converter. However, it's extremely hard to pass the gaseous emissions levels without them, as the original regulations in the early 1990s were written with the benefits of cats in mind.

There was some controversy at the time, as Honda had developed a very clean lean-burn system that gave roughly equivalent "overall pollution" performance without needing a cat, but one of the parameters (probably one of the NOx figures) was much higher than the cat equivalent.

In effect, the way the limits were set practically mandated cars having cats.

It's the same situation with DPFs. Some manufacturers are finding they can reach Stage IV without DPF, but those with older technology engines need them. These manufacturers trumpet themselves as more green by standardizing DPF early - but are taking the cost hit, of course.

As a cyclist, I think DPFs are great. A DPF'd diesel can overtake me on full throttle with no smoke at all - lovely!

my name is Mark.
2004 C-MAX Ghia 1.6 TDCi || A JLR vehicle of some description
Gone but not forgotten: 2002 Mk3 1.8 Graphite in Magnum Grey on LPG ¦ Garage entry
Haynes manuals at Amazon: Mondeo Mk1 diesel ¦ Mk1/2 petrol ¦ Mk3 pre-face/facelift | C-MAX

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users