Honda engine - Off-Topic - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

Photo

Honda engine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2163 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo, TDCI

Posted 29 April 2021 - 05:42 PM

What ho one and all,

Yes, it is a Honda engine, but a small garden, 4 stroke engine.  In particular, the popular GX25 sitting on a rotavator/tiller.

It is a couple of year old and does not get excessive use.  It has gradually, become more difficult to start until recently, it will not start at all.  So a Google search reveals the most probable cause is the carb and a  refurb kit is not expensive.  Bought a Chinese number, complete with new spark plug and ignition coil.

Cleaned the carb, fitted the other bits and still, it will not start.  Almost does, but not quite.

Went the next stage and bought a new carb which I fitted today.  Again, tries to start but generally, zilch.  On a couple of occasions, it has run fro around 5 seconds,then dies.  All the fuel lines have been blown through and are clear but it almost feels like fuel starvation.

I have checked the spark plug and it sparks.  Finger over the spark port and there is compression, but not as much as I would have expected.  Removed the exhaust to check and that is clear.  Again, finger over the port and 'kinda' back-fired as I guess I was blocking the exit!  But certainly compression.

Removed the valve cover to check that the timing belt is in place and all looks good with valves doing what they should.

Tried again, and this time, some kind of back compression almost broke my wrist!!!  There is now a lot of compression that is preventing any sort of turn-over.  Since I did not fiddle with anything mechanical (valves or timing belt) don't know what has happened.

But given that it is a pretty simple single cylinder engine, I don't know what else could be out of wack that it will not start.  I can only think the timing belt has slipped, but that does seem unlikely.

So I hope the greater mechanical minds on this forum will be able to offer some advice.

Thanks and toodle pip

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

#2 stonekeeper

stonekeeper

TF regular

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo titanium x
  • Name:Mark

Posted 29 April 2021 - 07:47 PM

https://engines.hond...leshooting-tips

#3 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2163 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the link.   Have not seen that page before but similar and all roads lead to the 'Take it to a Honda rip-u-off dealer.  had a chat with one and they want to chat a mere £40 (plus VAT) just to have a look and diagnose the problem.  Of course, they would not strip it to see why it will not start so I imagine they would tell me what I already know.

I can only see one other reason that I am putting off checking and that is the timing belt has slipped a notch.  But that does imply stripping the engine to check and most likely, find the timing is fine.

#4 stonekeeper

stonekeeper

TF regular

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 29 April 2021 - 09:14 PM

https://arbtalk.co.u...913-honda-gx25/

#5 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2163 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 06:40 AM

Thanks for the link.  One I had not previously found.

I did wonder about the tank vent and have dismantled the cap, but cannot see any vents to the outside world.  My other small motors (strimmer, mower, leaf blower) all have small holes in the cap but not the Honda.

There is plenty of oil, there is no oil level switch in the crankcase, plenty of spark.  I blew through the various fuel lines and they are all clear.  Not too many options left.

The card / head gasket is a possibility but strangely, none of the carb repair kits supply this.

#6 stonekeeper

stonekeeper

TF regular

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:40 AM

POPULAR

Have you tried "Easy start" or similar through the air intake to see if it's fuel related?

The only other consistant thing i keep seeing in my searches on it are "Stale fuel"?

Edited by stonekeeper, 30 April 2021 - 09:44 AM.

• TreborB likes this

#7 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 29213 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 30 April 2021 - 10:09 AM

Had a strimmer where someone managed to fill it with diesel.

Must have been some fuel in it already because it still had a strong

petrol smell.

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users