MK4.5 2.0 tdci PCM/DPF adaptation after changes - Diesel Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

MK4.5 2.0 tdci PCM/DPF adaptation after changes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 radulescu21

radulescu21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4.5
  • Name:Alex

Posted 21 April 2021 - 06:47 AM

Hi guys,

I was wondering how long would it take for the PCM and DPF regens to adapt/calibrate to any changes.

My history is that some weeks back it started doing regens very often, like every 90-100km.

Garage could not find anything wrong so we changed the exhaust pressure sensor and reset calibration for it. Still no change, still doing regens every 100km, if driven hard on the open road could even make it regen after 70km.

Then shortly after the car started acting up with lower power at times and turbo lag. And almost no power during regens. Tracked that down to the turbo actuator solenoid.

Replaced that and my god what a difference. Even at startup the car is smoother, very smooth acceleration, and the low down torque...I don't think it ever had it, as I have the car for little over 1 year, but I never remember it being so smooth in the lower rev range.

So everything is running great again, couldn't be happier with it.

But the damn regens still happen every 100km. It looks like they start climbing up at times, but then still get them every 100km, and that's on steady open road runs.

Thought ok, pressure sensor was changed, the solenoid was not working well for god knows how long, there is also the transition from winter to summer fuel, engine got back to running well again after the solenoid change....maybe it takes time to adapt....

But I think I've already gone trough 2 full tanks of fuel and regens are the same.

I'm very confident there are no issues with the engine or DPF. Would it take even longer than this to adjust? Maybe removing the negative battery terminal for 30 min could help?

Thanks

#2 Mart1001

Mart1001

TF regular

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2011 Mondeo econetic
  • Name:Martin

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:46 PM

POPULAR

I know nothing about diesels but, whenever I did any sort of engine work on my petrol Mondeo's, I always reset the ECU as a matter of job completion. The ECU learns to adapt to problems especially sensors, and to compensate...much like you would learn to walk on a broken toe. But what happens when your toe is suddenly fixed, do you still walk with a stick ?

I would certainly try disconnecting the battery as long as you have your radio code. Though I'm new to the Mk4 and not 100% sure this is enough to reset the ECU as I know the Mk4 remembers a lot of things after a battery disconnect...someone else may be able to advise ?

• radulescu21 likes this

#3 getsome

getsome

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4.5 TDCi
  • Name:Raffe

Posted 22 April 2021 - 05:47 AM

POPULAR

Do a full :  Reset all adaptations (you will get an errorcode for the EGR and Turbo after this as this is a part of adaptation process , just delete those codes after a couple of driving cycles) also if you do a full adaptation reset your injectors might be a bit noisy for 500-1000 km until the correct pilot injection quantity has been figured out by the ECU.

Also reset the DPF values if they are not on 0 after this.

• Mart1001 and radulescu21 like this

#4 radulescu21

radulescu21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 06:44 AM

Has anyone done the reset all adaptations using Forscan lite?

I'm a bit scared it might not work or get into more trouble.
Garage says to just leave it alone, since everything looks good, it's just the dpf getting loaded fast. But why on earth would it load up so quick without any issue?

#5 daktona

daktona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk4,5 140 bhp

Posted 25 April 2021 - 07:02 AM

POPULAR

I have done 3 days ago wit Forscan lite and Samsung A8 phone. Got some errors from turbo limits or something like that and another ones that I don't remember. Erased them without problems.

The idle was weird for around 300km with more vibrations like it was almost stalling at some point and engine a little noisier but now everything is fine.

• radulescu21 likes this

#6 radulescu21

radulescu21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 07:08 AM

Or is it possible to reset just dpf values?
Can't remember if forscan lite had this option...

As the engine runs great, I'm thinking air/fuel is already optimised. And my only concerne are the frequent regens.

#7 daktona

daktona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk4,5 140 bhp

Posted 25 April 2021 - 07:46 AM

I have reset the dpf values also but only the dpf load was reset to 0 and the other dpf soot remained the same at 84%.

#8 radulescu21

radulescu21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 10:41 AM

It didn't work for me. It just said interrupted after 1%.
But maybe for the better.
With no other ideas left and being a nice sunny day. I decided to give it a long run, and drove it like crazy about 170km. With high speeds of 160-170km/h, and in the lower speed roads, overtook everything in my way.

It regened after 150km, which I haven't seen in weeks, and 60km now from that regen load is 52% and soot 30. Which looks alot like it used to when it was running normal.

I think it's my driving that ended up with the frequent regens. I live outside town and do a daily of 40-50km on main road with one stop halfway (Before pandemic I was commuting 90km a day) But the trips are very short in time, like 15-20 min each way, as the speed limits are 80-100km/h, and there is barley any load on the engine just maintaining that speed.
And haven't have a proper long run in months.

I think distance is just not enough, if the trips are short in time.

Edited by radulescu21, 25 April 2021 - 10:42 AM.

#9 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 29202 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 25 April 2021 - 11:53 AM

The engine does need to get upto temperature before it will start a regen.

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#10 radulescu21

radulescu21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 01:47 PM

It's not about regen itself. As those are fine.
But I'm thinking the exhaust/engine is not getting up to enough temp on my usual runs. As it's steady 80-100km/h driving for 30 min, and a pause in between, so 15 mins of engine on. With the engine on for such short time it might be the same thing as city driving, even if it's open road. And in my theory this could cause the frequent regens...
It's probably on optimum temp on the way back, but in 10 minutes I'm already home.

Otherwise I can't explain why on a long high speed ride the regens interval is fine. If there were to be a problem with the engine or dpf I imagine it would regen even sooner from the heavier load. But it's the other way around.

As I said it's been months since a decent log drive.

Edited by radulescu21, 25 April 2021 - 01:49 PM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users