Whining noise when at full temp and other issues - 2010 mondeo 2.0tdci - Diesel Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

Photo

Whining noise when at full temp and other issues - 2010 mondeo 2.0tdci

noise whining

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bobalong

bobalong

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo
  • Name:Richard

Posted 17 April 2021 - 10:01 PM

Hey everyone 👋

So our Mondeo has developed some strange issues! 

Bit of history on the car first; 2010 titanium x sport 2.0tdci, powershift. Owned just over a year, we picked it up just before the first big covid lockdown. 203k on the clock, regularly serviced and never any problems other than usual MOT stuff. The car usually only does the work/shopping run so maximum running time has been 20 mins if that since lockdowns started.

Now first time doing a longer journey to our caravan (around 2 hours for us) and this "whining" noise starts as we were stuck crawling in traffic on the A1, it was pretty loud and continued for the rest of the journey, it seems consistent with gear changes too (the sound seems to change with the gears and rpm) We also had a moment where it felt like the car was in limp mode on one hill, wouldn't go past 40.

The noise returned on the way home yesterday once the engine was up to temp exactly like the journey there, but this time there was another weird noise that I can only describe as a phone set to vibrate ringing from the left side of the car, like in the glovebox area or something? This noise was consistent with accelerating and once you let off the gas it stopped? Apparently it was making a similar noise on the drive to the caravan too, but I never heard it. Car seemed to be restricted too on the way home, like the adaptive cruise control was activated but it wasn't as we never use it.

No warning lights or anything showing up at any point to suggest any faults. Noise is not present when turning the steering, power steering is topped up so don't suspect any issues there. Also not sure on the turbo as I'd suspect the whine would be constant regardless of engine temp?

The wife used it this morning and said it was driving fine, but again it was only a short trip so I'm totally stumped at what it could be and don't really want it packing in on us on the way to the caravan one week!

If anyone can offer any advice I would be very grateful, not had much luck with garages in the past so thought I'd ask here before admitting defat haha.

Rich

#2 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 29213 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 18 April 2021 - 12:31 AM

POPULAR

Is the noise related to road speed or engine speed though?

Any noises whilst parked?  Wheel brearing or driveshaft play? If road speed.

Alternator or tensioner pulleys if noise is the same when parked?

Other noises, clutch bearing?

• bobalong likes this

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#3 bobalong

bobalong

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:54 PM

Hi Purple. Apologies for the delay!

I have filmed some footage of the noises in the hopes it will aid people in being able to help with these noises.

https://youtu.be/P7GVbhPYN7I

It's definitely related to engine speed, the whining noise is present when the car is stationary and being revved.

Still no clue on the second noise!

Rich

#4 Mart1001

Mart1001

TF regular

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2011 Mondeo econetic
  • Name:Martin

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:28 PM

POPULAR

Well from the engine bay video, the sound didn't appear to cut in until about the time the turbo would cut in, so I would be listening arounf that area more...it obviously isn't related to road speed as the car was stationary.

I also heard what sounds like a cam belt tensioner or guide squeak....that high pitched chirp sound.

• bobalong likes this

#5 bobalong

bobalong

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 04:40 PM

Thanks Mart.

Booking it in at a garage next week, had a few people say it's possibly turbo hose leak from listening to the video, probably only present once the rubber hose heats up allowing the air through.

Got everything crossed that it is just a hose  :L

#6 SteveyG

SteveyG

Clever cloggs

• Members
  • 1584 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk4.5 TXS 2.2
  • Name:Steve

Posted 24 April 2021 - 07:00 PM

POPULAR

Yes definitely sounds like an induction leak. Also fits with your loss of power

Edited by SteveyG, 24 April 2021 - 07:00 PM.

• bobalong likes this

#7 bobalong

bobalong

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 04:50 PM

Update time!

Gave in and let a garage check the noises out.

Foolish of me not to take the car to them when it was already up to temp and the noise was actually occurring but long story short, they couldn't replicate the noise!  :darn:  Said they drove it for a few miles but heard nothing, they did however find faults relating to the dpf but never told me what the codes were! They said they cleared them anyway and charged me £40 for their trouble (they also found i need rear trailing arm bushes on both sides)

When we got the car back that evening the fan was going like mad and it smelt awful, REGEN time! I honestly never noticed it doing this before and actually assumed the dpf was mapped out (having owned a Vauxhall with a dpf previously i was scarred for life with regen disasters!)

ANYWAY, took the car back out on a drive to let it perform a regen, was a bit lumpy but other than that ran okay.

After 26 miles, I pulled into the petrol station and the whine started again, really loud this time!

Drove to the local industrial estate and gave if a few blasts thinking it's still boost related at this point. Went to turn the car around at the end of the road and the noise was horrendous!

Pulled up and got the wife to rev the engine while i popped the bonnet, noise is now a LOT more obvious and when turning the steering, hey presto! A very poorly sounding power steering system  :BEEP:  Funny how it never made a noise when turning the steering until today, and also strange that the noise only happens on longer journeys?

So back in the garage the next day, this time i waited until it was whining away. Guy said it probably wont be the power steering pump as it looks practically new ( i do have a receipt for a pump replacement in the stuff i received when i bought the car) He wants to change the steering rack, reservoir and do a fluid flush, he quoted nearly 2k and i was nearly on my arse  :tonofbricks:

After reading around i saw a lot about dodgy steering racks, but on cars with only 20/30k miles on them, this car is on 200+k miles so it must be an old age thing! I also saw a lot about the reservoir filter becoming clogged and the noise is related to fluid starvation..

So the question is, do i go down the full rack replacement that's probably going to cost more than the car is worth on this mileage, or just change the reservoir and fluid? 

On another note, the car is now constantly trying to do a regen even when nipping to the shops which is very annoying as i don't realize until I've pulled back on the driveway and hear the fan and get the awful smell. It looks like when they cleared the fault codes they set the regen process off but for some reason it's not completing? I don't have any warning lights on to say so though  :unsure:

#8 Mart1001

Mart1001

TF regular

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2011 Mondeo econetic
  • Name:Martin

Posted 01 May 2021 - 08:38 PM

POPULAR

The rack doesn't do anything until you turn the wheel, so why would it make a noise when sat still. I would suspect the pump myself, it doesn't matter how shinny it is, what if it's a cheap aftermarket part ?

It could be the fluid of course and maybe a flush would help. It could even be air in the system....I take it you've tried removing the reservoir cap and locking steering left to right ?

I don't know this engine as mine is the 1.6 and is totally different and my power steering is electric,

As for the regeneration, I would take it on a good long drive down the motorway, keep it to a constant speed(try to avoid traffic)....alternatively, use FORScan to force a regen which will automatically hold your engine at the required revs to do the job while the car's sat on your drive.

• bobalong likes this

#9 bobalong

bobalong

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 09:16 PM

POPULAR

Cheers Mart

I'm going to hold off doing anything for now, i'm thinking it's a dodgy pump too because if it was replaced before we got the car it's not lasted five minutes!

I've kept an eye on the fluid and nothing out of the ordinary going on when steering.

I've ordered an adapter to run FORScan on it regarding the dpf too  :L

• Mart1001 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noise, whining

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users