Smoke on start - Diesel Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Smoke on start

injectors smoke

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hugginjp

Hugginjp

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3 2.0 TDCI
  • Name:Jacob Huggins

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:15 AM

Hi guys!!

I’ve recently removed all my injectors, had them ultrasonically cleaned, new seals and pipes refitted in a different order and reprogramed. when running normally this has had a wonderful effect, the engine is quieter and smoother, ignoring the problem I am having with the aux belt. However, on a cold start up (if the engine is warm already this doesn’t happen) the engine is rough idling at 1000 instead of 700-750 and it makes a huge amount of smoke (white) before settling down once it’s warm.

Is this just the engine still learning the new injectors and the problem will solve itself over time (I’ve only had 5 or so starts as I’ve gone back to uni and don’t drive too often) or is this something that’s wrong? if it is where do I start looking, I plan to clean the MAF this afternoon to see if that makes a difference?

Thanks to anyone in advance,

I'm an engineering student (which translates to me thinking I’m good at this but actually having no clue)

#2 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 29203 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 16 April 2021 - 03:57 PM

It should not have white smoke even when learning.

leakoff test?

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#3 DavieWeegie

DavieWeegie

Mondeo Lover

• Members
  • 737 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST TDCI 2005
  • Name:David

Posted 16 April 2021 - 04:51 PM

sounds like the problem I had when I decided to recode injectors that had been in for a long time.

injectors when new have c2i code thats programed for their fuel delivery at different operations and they are tested for spray patterns, this c2i code is then input into the ECU. Through wear and tear the injector drifts further and further away from this original code and most times the ECU can compensate for it on the fly but sometimes its drifted too far and it cant compensate anymore.

This is what happened with mine, I cleaned the injectors put them back in and input the codes again, but had loads of white smoke and rough idle when cold that got better when it had warmed up, I ended up buying 4 reconditioned injectors from PF Jones and sending my old ones back for discount.

My moral of the story is sometimes its better just leaving what you've got than try clean things yourself, especially something as temperamental as Mondeo injectors.

Edited by DavieWeegie, 16 April 2021 - 04:51 PM.

Performance Blue Mondeo ST TDCI 2005

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: injectors, smoke

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users