MK4.5 2.0 tdci frequent DPF regens - Page 2 - Diesel Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

Photo

MK4.5 2.0 tdci frequent DPF regens

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 radulescu21

radulescu21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4.5
  • Name:Alex

Posted 19 April 2021 - 12:36 PM

Does anyone know if this values are normal or not ? The values are 50km after regen. The car is doing regens every 150km or even less.

I had an P042A - Catalyst Temperature Sensor(Bank 1, Circuit 2 ) stored but after clearing it didn't reappear and the sensors are reading the temperatures.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg

The solenoid was 200 ron for us :) made by Pierburg, the same as the OEM one.

It's strange because if you search for OEM it's more expensive, but they are both made by Pierburg.

The pressure and LOAD look fine, the SOOT should drop to 25% after a regen. That's strange.

The SOOT load is calculated in open loop from my understanding from various sensors. The LOAD closed loop and it's the live estimation based on pressure sensor.

After more than 1 year with this engine I have yet to figure out the regen strategies.

Maybe the temp sensor is on it's way out and not reading right, causing the SOOT to read high, as it shouldn't read so much. But I'm just guessing...

It should be around 25% after a regen and climb gradually, and it's generally lower or around the same % as the LOAD. 

Edited by radulescu21, 19 April 2021 - 12:49 PM.

#12 daktona

daktona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk4,5 140 bhp

Posted 19 April 2021 - 01:08 PM

That is why I asked as the Pierburg is 200RON and FORD one that is made by Pierburg aswel is 900. Quite a difference.

#13 daktona

daktona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 04:56 PM

I think that I found my problem.

Don't know how to solve it or where to look but I think it's electrical.

EGT 2 is acting up apparently and it's 3 years old only.

EGT sensor 2 was changing from 100C to 400 then 300 in a couple of seconds while sensor 1 was all the time over 400C

Screenshot_20210422-182102_FORScan Lite.jpg

Screenshot_20210422-182129_FORScan Lite.jpg

Screenshot_20210422-182211_FORScan Lite.jpg

Screenshot_20210422-182325_FORScan Lite.jpg

#14 getsome

getsome

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4.5 TDCi
  • Name:Raffe

Posted 23 April 2021 - 12:30 PM

Yes your tempsensor after the dpf is broken or wires to it.

#15 radulescu21

radulescu21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 06:05 AM

Yes, your exhaust temp2 sensor is not right.
I think you're lucky, cause you found something.
Mine is running perfect after the actuator solenoid fix, but regens are not fixed.
Thought it might just take some time for pcm to calibrate to the fix, but I ran 3 full tanks of fuel already and it's still the same.

I initially thought it's fixed, but it's actually still doing them every 100km.
It drives me crazy, as it runs so nice now, and since I drive about 70km a day ore more...I'm having a regen almost daily and it's very annoying.

I've been monitoring absolutely everything, and can't find any abnormal readings, garage can't find anything either. It's very frustrating.

I could say at this point that maybe it's just the DPF with to much ash...but really, the car is being serviced every 10.000km and it's been running outside town most of it's life...

I'm out of ideas here, think I'll just drive it like this until something fails. But it's disappointing.

#16 daktona

daktona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 06:26 AM

Well I don't know how lucky I am cause that sensor was changed 3 years ago with a genuine Ford one and a new one is 200E.

I suspect the wiring but I'm not sure at this point.

I have also changed the solenoid and can't believe what a difference. It's like another car.

Before the car struggled to get to 200km/h although no fault codes, now it got to 215km/h pretty fast and I had to back off the accelerator as it was too fast and the motorway was full of bends.

Even the consumption is lower. Before I had a medium of 6,7L/100km now it's 5,9 on the same roads.

#17 radulescu21

radulescu21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 06:37 AM

Yes, the solenoid made a big difference for me to.

Well I'd rather have your issue :)) it's expensive indeed but you at least have an indication of the issue.

#18 radulescu21

radulescu21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 06:40 AM

I'm tempted to do a reset all adaptations job.
But I'm not so sure about that, don't even know if it will work with forscan lite.

Asked garage to do it but they say it's safer to just leave it alone. But in the end, what go wrong?

#19 radulescu21

radulescu21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 04:25 PM

POPULAR

An update,
I think it just needed to be driven.
The car hasn't had a proper long drive for months, because of the pandemic. I drive it daily and on open road, no city driving. But being main road with no restrictive traffic I just get to my destination very quick. So I can drive 20km one way, and 20 back, but each drive is 15 minutes. And on this part of the road it's very soft driving, 80-100km/h, barely any load, and also 2 lanes, so not even the need to overtake.
And I think this was the problem, exhaust maybe was just not getting hot enough, maybe the CAT was not working efficient either at low exhaust temps, passing more soot in the DPF...I don't know, I'm just guessing.

Fact is I took it on a 2 hour run today, and a very sprinted one, some constant high speeds, a couple of full power overtakes, and I was thinking it's going to regen even faster now. But instead... behold the DPF working as normal again. I hate these cars :))

From now one at least once every 2 weeks or so I'll plan a long run, until covid leaves us the f*** alone to return to my usual 90km commute, the reason I got a diesel in the first place.
  • daktona likes this

#20 daktona

daktona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 04:44 PM

POPULAR

Mine is also fixed. At least I hope so as I couldn't drive it now because of covid restrictions. Found an almost broken wire some cm apart from the connector. Only 5 strands intact on from from 19.

Screenshot_20210425-193747_Video Player.jpg

• radulescu21 likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users