Faulty Injectors - Page 4 - Diesel Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

Photo

Faulty Injectors

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2163 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo, TDCI

Posted 19 April 2021 - 05:47 PM

I do have a selection of magnets but almost no black spray can tops.

I recently had a 'major' issue and replaced the filter.  don't know what the story was, but it was resolved by recoding with TunnelRat and Fordscan.

However, this was the contents of the filter:

Filter Residue (Large).jpg

The black bits are worryingly, metallic and nicely centred by my magnet.  The only source is likely to be the HP pump, which was a recon around 80k ago.

But when I  first had the major, major issue of glow plug lamp, whatever the error code, Fraud changing an injector for a small fortunate, blah, blah,blah and I changed, cleaned everything myself, and this is the result of the first tank sweep with a magnet:

DSCF3040 (Medium).JPG

and this is the contents of the swirl pot before cleaning:

DSCF3041 (Medium).JPG

All of it is dust, no small obvious bits.  I did not shine a touch on it so don't know if all that glitters is .....!  But it sure as hell was metal.

As an aside, I fitted magnets everywhere, including one in the swirl pot.  Difficult to reclaim it, but if it is catching any particles, so much the better.  Also have some sloshing around in the fuel tank, a couple on the filter itself and some sandwiching the fuel line to the pump, whcih I recently checked and they were clean.

DSCF3059 (Medium).JPG

DSCF3060 (Medium).JPG

Edited by Rekusu, 19 April 2021 - 05:55 PM.

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

#32 glx

glx

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 11:24 AM

Hi,all, changed the fuel filter and the last problems have gone . No cut outs going round corners ,over speed bumps or sitting in traffic . Thanks for all the ideas

#33 Thomastom80

Thomastom80

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Tom

Posted 02 May 2021 - 06:23 PM

Ahh my mondeo is still poorly i took one of the pipes off one of the injectors and the picture shows the fuel the fuel that came out with the bits in it, I did put a magnet underneath but only clinged to it too it a little, some bits did seem silvery, i guess its the pump then???? thanks for the other replies with pictures too ;-) 

Cheers Tom 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3504.jpeg

#34 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2163 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo, TDCI

Posted 02 May 2021 - 09:17 PM

Since the filter should hopefully pick up anything before the fuel gets to the pump and injectors, any bits after the pump can only come form the pump itself.

Now the decision is, is the car worth fixing?  Not only based upon the cost and time, but as a Mk3, it is elderly.

In my case, the body was and still is) in good condition, as is the engine and virtually everything.  One way and another, a recon pump, injectors and other bits and bobs, probably spent around £900 on a car that WeBuyAnyCar.com rates as around £300.  But selling as a non-runner or dumping did not seem right and a replacement was probably going to cost a few grand.

So I went for it.  Replaced the pump and flushed out everything else; not particularly difficult with the special tool and certainly a better job that Frauds would have done for a quoted price of £3500.

If you are considering replacing the pump, I have a couple of detailed pdf files with photos of what I did.  PM me with your e-mail address and I will send them.

Have done around 80k since replacing the pump and pretty much, no problems, although following a recent 'issue', there was a bit of 'crap' in the filter.  But there are no error codes and the fuel rail pressure seems good.  So will worry about it later!

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

#35 Thomastom80

Thomastom80

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Tom

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:30 PM

Hi rekusu, thank you for the reply, well from the point of view of is it worth it, probably not as i think it needs other bits doing steering rack, slave cylinder baring is noisy but i kind of like the car a lot, i had have already bought injectors as i initially thought that was all it needed lol i will try sending you a pm again with email address as it would be cool to have your pdf's to look at thanks for that :) i have been looking for something else just to get me to work and back for now tho, sounds like you have done a great job tho :) cheers tom 

Tried to send you a message but says can't receive or send for some reason ?? cheers tom

Edited by Thomastom80, 03 May 2021 - 08:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users