Faulty Injectors - Diesel Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

Photo

Faulty Injectors

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 glx

glx

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:04 PM

Hi, all I have just changed 2 injectors due to excess leak off, problem is it idles ok but cuts out while driving and seems to be missfiring on acceleration . They were programmed as per the replacement code on the injector .

#2 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 29213 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:30 PM

Leakoff test on the new ones. Some are not reconditioned very well and

maybe as bad as the originals.

When was the fuel filter last changed?

What faults codes are you getting with an OBD reader?

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#3 glx

glx

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 12:29 AM

Hi, no fault codes on the reader ,and the filter was changed about a year ago but only done a couple of hundred miles due to lockdown. Driving home tonight seemed smoother but had coil light pop up so will check leak off tomorrow if the weathers fine.

Thanks

#4 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4293 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:15 AM

Hi, diesels don't really miss fire, but if it is occuring around the 2krpm mark, then it could well be a split in a boost pipe is causing it.... well worth inspecting them.
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#5 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2163 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo, TDCI

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:11 AM

Depending upon the age of the car and mileage, based upon my experience, I would empty the contents of the fuel filter into a clean yogurt pot and run a magnet under it to check for any metallic particles (dust?)  If present, good chance the high pressure pump is nearing its sell-by date.

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

#6 glx

glx

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 01:42 PM

Hi, rechecked leak off with the new (refurbed injectors ) and both are under 25 ml, I found a couple of the leak of washers had tiny splits so changed them all and the clip holding the pipes from the injectors to the pump was undone so have relocked that. No splits in the turbo pipes and still no dtcs . After messing about with the leakoff pipes and changing the washers I found I had to top up the filter so thats the next thing to change as looking at the live reading the fuel pressure  seems fine in idle and goes up to 19k at about 2500 revs . No cut outs on the test drive just the flashing coil popped up climbing local hill

Thanks for all the info.

#7 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4293 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 02:32 PM

Hi, just be aware that if the flashing coil is due to low fuel rail pressure, then after a while the ecu cuts the engine out and you have to quickly push in the clutch and coast while turning ignition off then on and restarting the engine. This clears the error and lets you drive on. I did that for about a year. Funnily enough, it usually happened around 40mph, not at top speed, it would cruise quite happily at 70mph, but not at 40, which was bad news driving in roadworks on the motorways. It really spooked the wife especially at night when the headlights went off with the ignition momentarily.
Anyway, if you suspect the pump, and you can monitor live data, then a useful test is to disconnect the injector electrical connectors, and the electrical connector on the IMV, (on the back of the pump) then, monitoring the frp (fuel rail pressure) crank the engine and the pump should attain a minimum of 1000 bar if its good. My 2 tired s/h pumps only got 800 and 850 bar, so gave me the above grief.
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#8 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2163 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo, TDCI

Posted 11 April 2021 - 02:55 PM

"push in the clutch and coast while turning ignition off"

I have found that improves the mpg considerably!

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

#9 glx

glx

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 11:14 PM

Can you confirm the plug on the back of the pump, is it the blue or brown one?

#10 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4293 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:09 AM

The IMV is that lump sticking out of the back of the pump. The other plug is for the fuel temp sensor that screws into the pump, which I think is blue or green. So yes, I think the IMV plug is the brown one. (not been out to check, just from memory)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users