Aftermarket DAB in Android head unit - In-Car Entertainment (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Aftermarket DAB in Android head unit

dab aerial android

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SoundsDigital

SoundsDigital

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo TDCi
  • Name:Mark

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:02 PM

I fitted an Android head unit to mt 2008 Mk4 Zetec a few years ago and have just bought the USB DAB+ adaptor for it. It comes with an aerial that sticks to the windscreen, but I have a heated windscreen.

I understand that the heated windscreen isn't ideal for a windscreen aerial, but would be interested to know if other people are useing them. I understand the trim needs to be removed on the passenger side A pillar to fit it. Will this trigger the airbag? Do I need to remove the paint before sticking to the body? (the kit came with no instructions at all)

If the aerial isn't suitable, what kind of aerial do I need, or woudl it be feasable to mount it in the rear quarterlight window instead?

#2 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1341 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4 Mondeo 2.5t
  • Name:Mark

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:21 PM

If you have a look at - https://talkford.com...-or-double-din/

Near the bottom is a picture of where I fitted my DAB antenna and it's been working just fine for me.

There isn't an airbag in the A pillar trim to worry about, pull off the weather seal from around the door (just where the A pillar trim is will do) then just pull the plastic trim towards the drivers seat carefully at the top first. You will see a plastic yellow strap that is holding the trim to the body, just unclip it and pull the trim up from the dashboard.

In my case I didn't need to remove any paint, the magnet stuck to the pillar and that apparently is enough for it to work.

RamAir Pod Filter   -   Elevate FST225 Top Pipe   -   Airtec FMIC   -   Scorpion Downpipe   -    Scorpion Cat Back Exhaust   -   ECV Valve   -   RS DMF + Clutch Kit   -   Bluefin Stage 2

Sports Rear Diffuser   -   Sports Top Front Grill   -   Sports Bottom Front Grill   -   Sports Fog Lights   -   Sport Pedal Covers   -   Dark Ice Designs Auto Lift Boot Struts   -   Dark Ice Designs Bonnet Rams   -   Dark Ice Designs Short Shift Kit   -   Auto Mirror Mod   -   Interior LED Conversion   -   Nextbase 402 and 512 Dashcams  -  Convers Mod

295bhp & 450nm of fun, but can still give 38mpg  :driving: 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users