HT Leads - V6 'Duratec' Petrol Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

HT Leads

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ancienttyres

ancienttyres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk3 v6 petrol

Posted 01 March 2021 - 05:54 PM

What HT Leads do you buy/have you bought for your v6?

Ive read a few topics from doom sayers claiming you should only buy the OEM Ford set for the mk3 v6 duratec because they last longer and the coil pack on these engines chews through cheap leads like there's no tomorrow. I can sort of believe that to be the case, but I just cannot warrant spending 180 quid on the ford set.

I actually thought I came across a decent price for the OEM set on ebay just now but I realised the price (78 quid with a pathetic discount) was only for THREE of the six leads. So it would be ~180 for the full set. Yea, f**k that. Especially seeing as I know full well they tend to overprice their oem stuff anyway. They didn't get the nickname fraud for nothing.

Now, I can get a set of NGK leads (all six of them) that are supposedly fit for this engine, and they're a tenner a lead. Comes from Poland but I'm not bothered too much about that. I figure NGK make nice spark plugs, I've never had an issue with them. Are their HT leads any good?

Odd thing is, these particular NGK leads (ngk rc-fd1211) seem to only be available in Poland or other Eastern European countries. I couldn't find them on the ngk parts finder website. I don't know if this is because NGK have discontinued them, and you can now only find old stock in far flung countries like Poland, or if they only sell them in Poland for whatever reason. I only wanted to look the part number up because I wanted to make absolutely sure they fit my car (the ebay seller says they do but I trust ebay's part finder thing about as far as I could throw it).

I know there's other brands like Magnecor which are supposedly pretty good, not that I've ever used them, and they're not quite as pricey as the oem part, but they're still a bit too pricey for me at 100-120 for the full set as far as I can tell. Alternatively I could just spend 40 quid on a set from carparts4less.co.uk. 6.6 quid a lead. It's cheap, but not as cheap as some sets can be.

I suppose the reality is here, I'm either going to buy the 40 quid set from carparts4less/europcarparts (same company if you didn't know), or 60 quid for the NGK set from Poland. It's a case of do I want to spend the extra 20 quid only to find out it was a waste of money.

#2 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 4211 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.5l v6 2002
  • Name:Harry

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:56 PM

Had the same dilemma wasn't going to spend silly money on Ford leads so went

for buy cheap buy twice Intermotor for now.

I get a blip on hard accelerating in 2nd and 3rd when cold.

Still havn't found out which brand makes original Ford leads.

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

#3 ancienttyres

ancienttyres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 07:30 PM

POPULAR

Thats a good saying, buy cheap buy twice. Last set I bought were real cheap ones, 18 quid off ebay, did them 7 months ago and they've already failed on me, though I suspect they weren't any good to begin with.

I may regret buying them off carparts4less at 40 quid for the full set but at least unlike some random seller on ebay I've got more chance of getting a replacement or a refund from them if they go tits up inside of a year.

I dunno what brand the oem ones are. They seem fairly unremarkable but could be bosch I suppose.

• mondy zetecs likes this

#4 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12936 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 March 2021 - 07:36 PM

POPULAR

Something to think about is moving the coil pack to somewhere cooler.

On the 220 there is just enough room to move it from above the engine to in between the screen wash and coolant reservoir.

You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#5 ancienttyres

ancienttyres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 03:48 PM

POPULAR

Might be an idea. If anything it'd be better off somewhere away from the back of the engine just so it's easier to get at.

Anyway the new leads arrived this morning from carparts4less. They're branded "prospark" but t says they're made in the UK for euro car parts so in other words just another ECP own brand unsurprisingly, also states on the box it "meets or exceeds the original equipment performance."

Seeing as the leads they're replacing aren't OEM anyway which are clearly crap I don't doubt for a second these new ones will be able to at least match their performance. I put some dielectric grease on the inside of the boots and plugged them in and took the car for a spin. I must say, seems to have more power in first and second now and I was able to put strain on it at low revs and no get any misfiring or hesitation.

I'm not convinced this has solved my issue with the high fuel consumption that I've had for the past year or so but I won't really know until I get the laptop on it and read the 02 sensors and maybe top it up with some fuel and see how long it lasts. If it has fixed that issue that means my skimping on new leads for 18 quid last year will have been the worst decision I made, that's for sure.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users