Yet another paint question! - Car Care / Restoration / Paint - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Yet another paint question!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2157 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo, TDCI

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:53 PM

The leading edge of my Mk3 bonnet has suffered over the years from stone, chips, etc.  I have filled, attempted to colour match and top-coated, and although the finish has been just about acceptable, now, all these blemishes are bleaching and it looks like (expletive deleted.)

In the past, I have done a lot of spraying but had the full Monty; trying to work with rattle cans is not good news.  But I guess I have little choice unless spending for a body shop to respray the entire bonnet.

I am aware that different paints do not always bond well with existing paint, so don't really know how to solve the issue.

If I rub down a section of the bonnet and apply the colour coat, it is a single pack paint onto  generally, the original 2k top-coat and adhesion, in theory should not be good.

Once dry, flatten, including a larger are of the original top-coat and apply the new top-coat.  But again, this will probably be from a rattle can, and not fully compatible with the original 2k.  So how does it bond together such that when dry, I can w&d back to get a nice polish that will not bleach in one year time?

Alternatively, is it possible to find a company that supplies 2k colour and top-coat and I can attempt a proper job?  My 2k searching generally  tells me that as a private individual, I cannot buy it.

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

#2 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12936 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:17 PM

First of all, do you have the correct respirator and PPE for spraying 2K?

The PPE fir 2K is entirely different than for single K.

Another option is to just buy a second hand bonnet in the correct colour, but in good condition.

If you buy from Facebook it may well be cheaper than buying rattle cans, plus should be a proper colour match.

You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#3 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2157 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 01:26 PM

I was forgetting about the PPE for 2k.  I do have a few redundant Covid paper masks!  Seriously, I do have a proper filtered respirator.  And now that you mention it, when I last sprayed 2k with all the proper facilities, used an air fed respirator as I found the 'dust' adhered really well to my glasses!

Have never investigated Facebook parts and generally, not too happy to have anything to do with Mark *uckerberg.  But I will have a look.  Do I have to register first or can I just browse.  If the later, do you have a link?

#4 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12936 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 February 2021 - 02:36 PM

I was forgetting about the PPE for 2k.  I do have a few redundant Covid paper masks!  Seriously, I do have a proper filtered respirator.  And now that you mention it, when I last sprayed 2k with all the proper facilities, used an air fed respirator as I found the 'dust' adhered really well to my glasses!

Have never investigated Facebook parts and generally, not too happy to have anything to do with Mark *uckerberg.  But I will have a look.  Do I have to register first or can I just browse.  If the later, do you have a link?

Air fed respirators are pretty much essential for 2K.

If you join facebook you might need to give them an email address, but you can have an email address just for facebook. I also didn’t give my real date of birth to them.

I resisted joining facebook for ages as I thought it was just full of chit chat, or people showing where there are are what they have eaten.................Snd, to be fair there is an awful lot of that. There are also dedicated groups, many of which only have content visible to those within the group.

I don’t do any of the chit chat, but am a member of:

Hyundai Ioniq groups.

Mondeo ST groups.

Mondeo mk3 groups.

Groups for various TV shows I like.

My old regimental group.

Local buying and selling groups.

A local neighbourhood group.

A crimewatch group.

In general, car parts are far cheaper on facebook than ebay, and many groups have trusted sellers.

Mk3 groups you could look at include:

MK3 Mondeo owners

Mondeo ST Owners (MSTO)

Ford Mondeo Parts, Sales, Swaps & Help/Advice

Mondeo Part Market Uk

[TRUSTED] Mondeo Breakers & Vendors

Ford ST (spares and trading)

Mondeo part market

Mk3 Mondeo St Group

MSTE spares & Trading.

With ref to ST sites, all mk3 cars had the same bonnets. :)

You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#5 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2157 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:33 PM

So is the rattle can 2k clear coat any good?  If so, is there a recommended brand?

#6 jack s

jack s

Mosquito

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.2 tdci
  • Name:Jack

Posted 05 March 2021 - 12:38 AM

I used my local dedicated paint suppliers.

They mixed the paint on site, using the ID number on the vehicle and supplied an aerosol with an exact colour match and with a decent nozzle.

With care and using the correct procedure - rubbing down, masking, priming etc. It worked well, ending with rubbing compound and a clear coat.

Off subject and perhaps the wrong forum area to ask - Raynkar, what Regiment was you in ?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users