DPF SOOT LOAD - Diesel Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

DPF SOOT LOAD

mot dpf

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kish4511

Kish4511

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 1.6 TDCI
  • Name:MOndeo

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:34 PM

ok, i now getting frustrated with the DPF and MOT.

My Forscan readings show 

Did 2 * 30 min runs now (mostly 70-80 mph)

DPF_DP         Varied between 0 and 9kPa  (between 800 and 2500rpm)

DPF_SOOT    Varieds between 19% and 25% - depending on distance travelled.

DPF_LOAD    0% constantly no change.

Had a friend do an emission test on the Mondeo (2014) MK 4.5 and it would have failed. Reading came in at 0.8 when max is 0.5. 

Any one know why the DPF LOAD has not changed and options to get emissions down (MOT not due for 4 months) ?

Edited by Kish4511, 26 February 2021 - 05:35 PM.

#2 Bandit51

Bandit51

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ford
  • Name:Steven

Posted 26 February 2021 - 07:25 PM

POPULAR

Hi the problem with most Diesel engines is that if they do a lot of short journeys the 02 sensor can get a bit sooted up and don't read quite right, I used to get this with my cabs so before going for my twice yearly mot test I used to get them warmed up and sling half a can of Lucas EGR and Turbo cleaner into the induction trunking where it joins the air cleaner housing, read the instructions, treat the engine, reconnect the trunking to the air box and go give it a good kicking for 20mins down the dual carriageway, works every time, it will come back well under.

Unfortunately our cars will eventually all become victims of driving style especially with the stay at home we have been doing for a year.

Steve.

• Kish4511 likes this

#3 getsome

getsome

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4.5 TDCi
  • Name:Raffe

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:41 PM

For how long have you had the car ? I´m still betting my money on a hollowed out dpf and dpf functions removed from the ECU firmware. I did this myself on a Volvo with the same engine and the soot load was always 0 % and smoke emitted 0.5-0.8 @ MOT

#4 Bandit51

Bandit51

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:44 PM

POPULAR

For how long have you had the car ? I´m still betting my money on a hollowed out dpf and dpf functions removed from the ECU firmware. I did this myself on a Volvo with the same engine and the soot load was always 0 % and smoke emitted 0.5-0.8 @ MOT

If you read the other post on DPF values I think the guy mentioned the car had regenerated and the levels were low which would suggest that the dpf is still operating as normal and had not been programmed out, have to admit I have never come across whats known as a filleted DPF in the cab trade that has ever shown any desire to regenerate naturally or otherwise, I thought that was the whole point.

• Kish4511 likes this

#5 getsome

getsome

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 01:28 PM

POPULAR

If the DPF delete job is done poorly the car will try to regen.

But If DPF_LOAD is 0 % I´m 99,99 % sure that the DPF has been tampered with.

Best test is to drive the car up to temp , have an assistent rev the engine quickly to 4000 rpm while watching the exhaust end with a white piece of paper under , if you see soot then the dpf is gutted.

• Kish4511 likes this

#6 Bandit51

Bandit51

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 08:39 PM

If the DPF delete job is done poorly the car will try to regen.

But If DPF_LOAD is 0 % I´m 99,99 % sure that the DPF has been tampered with.

Best test is to drive the car up to temp , have an assistent rev the engine quickly to 4000 rpm while watching the exhaust end with a white piece of paper under , if you see soot then the dpf is gutted.

Much as I hate to challenge that test could you please explain why my Mondeo 2.2 estate. could be cleaned before I went on shift and then have a thin film of black soot all over the rear of the car when i finished my shift this was noticeable when stowing my data head in the boot as the hand that pulled the boot down was always black.

The car had always passed the council test with flying colours on the emissions, believe me when I tell you that you get very little margin for error with these guys as they all worked for VOSA at some point.

My car was as factory from the day I owned it to the day I sold it

#7 getsome

getsome

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 07:01 AM

That I can´t explain because I don´t have experience from the 2.2 MK4 , My 2 2.0 Mondeos didnt have any signs of soot and neither do my friends , also when revved the exhaust gasses are free from visible soot and also my opacity values usually are 0.0 - 0.1. But the thing I react to is the 0 % DPF Load as this is a good giveaway that something has been done in the firmware , I have a tuned file with the DPF deleted that only works if you reset the soot load to 0 % and it never climbs again but since I don´t have any issues with my dpf system I flashed it back to stock and did an EGR delete instead.

#8 Kish4511

Kish4511

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 08:54 AM

Thanks Raffe, is there anyway to check the dpf using forscan or physically  - which you are aware of. Reason I am asking is that 2 years ago when car went into MOT it came back with value of 0.21. I did not have forscan back then

When my friend did the current test, engine temp was up to 88 degrees centigrade

1st 5000 rev = 2.5 opacity value

2nd 5000 rev = 1.5  opacity value

3rd 5000 rev = 0.8  opacity value

4th 5000 rev = 0.7  opacity value

5th 5000 rev = 0.7  opacity value

If it has been tampered with - personally i would like to set back to its default

just guessing but if dpf has failed - would the the paper test also lead to soot ?, although if had failed not sute why DPF_SOOT % changes.

Thank you again for your help guys

Edited by Kish4511, 03 March 2021 - 09:01 AM.

#9 getsome

getsome

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 11:25 AM

DPF SOOT is how much soot the enigine is producing by some magical calculation during a specified time interval see this as a current load on the filter , the other value is how much soot the filter has trapped in your case 0 %.

If you are 100 % sure that the DPF has not been messed with and the cars firmware also is original then you try to blank the EGR to see if the emissions go down. The only way is to check the dpf itself if the filtering material is still there , don´t know if the filter and cat is in one unit or if you have 1 cat and 1 dpf.

#10 Kish4511

Kish4511

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 10:56 PM

Thanks Raffe,

Your explanation of DPF load and DPF soot was THE most helpful I have read anywhere. Thank you. I understand now why your saying - has the DPF been tampered with.

I have had car for 2 years now - its only done 10k in that time- and its been through one MOT (the first and flew through - Smoke value 0.21), second one just about got through at 0.49. That is what is making me now go through the tests. I have definitely not tampered with DPF or firmware. I have put in moly liquid to bring down the soot burning temperate as in lock down - done virtually no driving.

I will try blanking the EGR and see what happens (presume this will trigger the MIL to come on for the EGR). Just found a blanking plate and gaskets on ebay.  

Will be back in a month (got to refit the kitchen before my wife kills me) to report how it goes.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users