Front drop links - Page 3 - Suspension / Wheels / Brakes / Steering (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Front drop links

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2157 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo, TDCI

Posted 15 March 2021 - 07:30 PM

Cut it off; didn't think of that but surely that is almost equally as difficult.

Your photo make it look 'easy' but with the hub and shock in the way, not so much room.

Will tackle it when the weather does not look so threatening.

Thanks

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

#22 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4278 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 15 March 2021 - 09:03 PM

In the centre of the threaded stud part is an Allen head, if you just try to rotate the nut, the stud turns with it. You're supposed to use an Allen key in the stud to hold it steady while you loosen the nut. That's why it's probably easier to cut it off!
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#23 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2157 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 10:17 PM

Yes, I know about the Allen key.  The top nut just turned with the impact driver without turning the hex.  But I was only loosening it, but could not move the lower.

Applied some PlusGas so may be next time; but there is insufficient clearance to get any leverage.  Just wondered what everyone does.

As for cutting it off, where to cut? 

#24 DavieWeegie

DavieWeegie

Mondeo Lover

• Members
  • 729 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST TDCI 2005
  • Name:David

Posted 15 March 2021 - 10:44 PM

I cut mine off with the grinder, always just undo the top nut then bend the drop link downwards until it pops off the balljoint, this is way easier than it sounds, so then youve just got the balljoint and threaded end with nut going through the arb, i then use the grinder to grind off the balljoint end and the threaded end just falls off, its way easier than it looks to manouver the grinder in there Ive done this for years now and dont even bother trying to take them off in one piece anymore.

Performance Blue Mondeo ST TDCI 2005

#25 hardy1812

hardy1812

TF regular

• Members
  • 663 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST TDCi
  • Name:Ian

Posted 16 March 2021 - 05:46 AM

Plus 1 for Dave’s way,,
I do exactly the same if needed sometimes when it’s just the ball end you can grip it mole grips then crack the nut,, but is far easier to just grind it off or hack saw done that before too

#26 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2157 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:53 AM

Thanks.  Seems like the way to go.

Had the car for 15 years and don't think i have even changed the fronts.  Certainly the rears a couple of times.  But it has always past the MOT

Edited by Rekusu, 16 March 2021 - 07:53 AM.

#27 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4278 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 16 March 2021 - 09:52 AM

I was wondering how you'd got away without changing them before. I have to remove the inner arch liner to give me enough clearance for tools.
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#28 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2157 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:10 AM

Grandmother driving!!!  Only ever hit 30mph and if I see bumps or pot-holes, I slow down.

Agreed, removing the liner would make things easier but given that the lugs holding it on are all plastic, I can guarantee that I will break a few and not be able to replace it.

#29 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 4211 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.5l v6 2002
  • Name:Harry

Posted 16 March 2021 - 12:46 PM

My above pic of link is original 18yrs i changed last year as a pair,

its a pain but quarter turn of the spanner at a time.

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users