Weak spark - V6 'Duratec' Petrol Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Weak spark

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jamast0

Jamast0

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.5 v6
  • Name:Jason Steer

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:34 PM

Modeo ghia x estate 2002 2.5 v6 tiptronic auto.
Parked my car for an hour the other day and got in it again an hour later only to find engine light on and running lumpy. Checked plugs, leads and changed coil pack for known good one. Very week spark next to nothing on cylinder four. All other cylinders fine. Have wiggled leads and sensor plugs and allsorts. Does anyone know what to look at next? Çode reader fault p0352 Ignition coil B Primary/Secondary circuit came up and fuel sys 1 OL-fault. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

#2 Jamast0

Jamast0

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 04:01 AM

Mondeo ghia x estate 2002 2.5 v6 tiptronic auto.
Parked my car for an hour the other day and got in it again an hour later only to find engine light on and running lumpy. Checked plugs, leads and changed coil pack for known good one. Very week spark next to nothing on cylinder 1 and 4. All other cylinders fine. Have wiggled leads and sensor plugs and allsorts. Also swapped wires into coilpack and got spark back. So defo not coilpack. Does anyone know what to look at next? Çode reader fault p0352 Ignition coil B Primary/Secondary circuit came up and fuel sys 1 OL-fault. Thanks in advance. I have an idea now that it is the pcm\ecu that has a fault.
Can anybody help me out with a video or diagrams etc on how to remove it so I can get it tested?
At my wits end after testing everything else that I can. No spark on cylinders 1 and 4 still.

Edited by Jamast0, 18 March 2021 - 04:20 AM.

#3 ancienttyres

ancienttyres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk3 v6 petrol

Posted 18 March 2021 - 02:46 PM

I don't really have any suggestions about those fault codes you got, I mean if you're absolutely sure it's not the coil pack, or the HT leads through testing (which it seems you are sure) then it might be a short or broken wire in a wiring harness somewhere rather than actually being the PCM/ECU at fault.

I can't offer any diagrams or steps to remove the PCM though (someone else might of course but I did a cursory google search and didn't come up with anything as I"m sure you have too). I've never done it myself but I do know it's a pain in the arse as it's hidden down behind the engine on the left side as you look at it and it's secured with security bolts if I remember correctly which you can't simply just unscrew.

If it is the wiring or something a bit less malignant then you may be better to just biting the bullet and taking it to an auto electrician and having them diagnose it for you.

#4 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 29158 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 18 March 2021 - 06:10 PM

What are you using to test the spark? 

I thought P0352 was a cylinder 2 fault?  Possibly more than 1 fault code? Does your reader

show all the fault codes or a limited number?

No spark on 1 and 4 is the coil getting a trigger?

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#5 Jamast0

Jamast0

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 08:02 PM

What are you using to test the spark?

I thought P0352 was a cylinder 2 fault? Possibly more than 1 fault code? Does your reader
show all the fault codes or a limited number?

No spark on 1 and 4 is the coil getting a trigger?

No trigger on cylinders 1 or 4 unless I swap trigger wires then I get the spark to 1 and 4 by removing ht leads to both and connecting plug testers and earthing the plugs. I am going to disconnect the ecu plug and see if I can find the wires going to the coil pack and probe them for any breaks.

#6 Jamast0

Jamast0

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 08:05 PM

Hoping it is a broken wire.

1 user(s) are reading this topic