Cylinder 3 misfire..Help - Petrol Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Cylinder 3 misfire..Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mondiest

mondiest

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:54 PM

Hi all, I own a 2010 X Sport with 59k on the clock. Last year the eml started flashing, then loads of white smoke and misfiring. Managed to get home just.

Plugged it in and came up misfire in cylinder 3. So I ordered 4 coil packs from Ford and changed them all.

Everything was fine till last week when the same thing happened. So I unplugged them one by one and came up misfire in cylinder 3.

Right. Reset the eml and code. Started the car again and it said multiple random misfire.

I ordered 4 connectors for the coil packs and rewired them. It's still the same. Now I'm thinking injectors.

Any help would be appreciated.

Number 3 plug is wet with petrol and the other 3 are sooty.

I've changed all the plugs and makes no difference.

I've also noticed when I press the start button but without starting the engine there's a clicking sound coming from under the passenger dashboard. It only lasts a few seconds then stops. Don't think it was there before but not sure really.

Ideas anyone..

#2 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1297 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4 Mondeo 2.5t
  • Name:Mark

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:01 PM

Persistent misfire, already changed plugs and packs..... I'd be getting the compression tester out I'm afraid :(

RamAir Pod Filter   -   Elevate FST225 Top Pipe   -   Airtec FMIC   -   Scorpion Downpipe   -    Scorpion Cat Back Exhaust   -   ECV Valve   -   RS DMF + Clutch Kit   -   Bluefin Stage 2

Sports Rear Diffuser   -   Sports Top Front Grill   -   Sports Bottom Front Grill   -   Sports Fog Lights   -   Sport Pedal Covers   -   Dark Ice Designs Auto Lift Boot Struts   -   Dark Ice Designs Bonnet Rams   -   Dark Ice Designs Short Shift Kit   -   Auto Mirror Mod   -   Interior LED Conversion   -   Nextbase 402 and 512 Dashcams  -  Convers Mod

295bhp & 450nm of fun, but can still give 38mpg  :driving: 

#3 mondiest

mondiest

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 10:45 PM

Update. Turns out injector 3 was stuck open flooding the cylinder.petrol actually sat on top of piston. Exhaust system full of petrol, in danger of going bang...
New exhaust from ford £1100.
Looking at £1800 altogether with injector labour and recovery.
Not Happy..
Bloody car not worth much more

#4 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1297 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4 Mondeo 2.5t
  • Name:Mark

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:29 AM

The exhaust shouldn't need replacing, removing and drained possibly and the cat may need some cataclean but the exhaust should still be usable.

When our Kuga engine destroyed itself you could see the fuel droplets shooting out the exhaust as well as plumes of smoke. Exhaust was kept and so was the cat and both sailed through an MOT.

RamAir Pod Filter   -   Elevate FST225 Top Pipe   -   Airtec FMIC   -   Scorpion Downpipe   -    Scorpion Cat Back Exhaust   -   ECV Valve   -   RS DMF + Clutch Kit   -   Bluefin Stage 2

Sports Rear Diffuser   -   Sports Top Front Grill   -   Sports Bottom Front Grill   -   Sports Fog Lights   -   Sport Pedal Covers   -   Dark Ice Designs Auto Lift Boot Struts   -   Dark Ice Designs Bonnet Rams   -   Dark Ice Designs Short Shift Kit   -   Auto Mirror Mod   -   Interior LED Conversion   -   Nextbase 402 and 512 Dashcams  -  Convers Mod

295bhp & 450nm of fun, but can still give 38mpg  :driving: 

#5 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5263 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:37 AM

Surely the fuel will dry out/evaporate if left for a while.
If there is a load of fuel in the bore crank it over with the spark plugs removed.

The repair method you have been quoted seems rather drastic

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

#6 mondiest

mondiest

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 10:50 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I did think it was rather drastic tbh. Turns out there's fuel in the oil, so oil change and filter on top of everything else. He's managed to source an exhaust other than ford for £300 cheaper than they wanted, so not quite as bad.
Lost faith in car now. Turning out to be a money pit. Shame really cos someone going to get a good car with loads of spec

Edited by mondiest, 03 February 2021 - 10:54 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users