Stiff gear selection (1st & 2nd) first thing. ST TDCI - Page 2 - Transmission / Drivetrain (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Stiff gear selection (1st & 2nd) first thing. ST TDCI

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12830 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 January 2021 - 06:05 PM

For clarity, when the engine has just started, have you found stiffness in every gear or just first and second.

I’m only asking as with normal driving the gearbox oil would already have been moved around a bit by the time you get to third.

You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#12 Krokogator

Krokogator

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MKIII TDCI

Posted 05 February 2021 - 09:58 AM

Same problem here, i went through the entire internet. Most discussions mentioned changing oil and or clutch with DMF.

My symptoms is mostly related to switching from first gear to second (difficult disengage on first and engage on second). Sometimes 2nd gear resists so much that it pushes the stick back. 

What i tried:

- i changed the oil to Castrol Syntrans FE 75W WSS-M2C200-D2 (Ford spec)

- i changed one engine and two gearbox mounts

So the oil did make an improvement, old oil was very dark and i had to pull into second gear for few seconds in very cold weather to engage it. In very cold weather it even popped out once, but probably it didn't fully engage and was my mistake. With new oil there is still notchiness but much more bearable.

Engine mount also made another improvement but mostly to all the other gears, they feel now more precise.

Not so long ago I went into discussion in Youtube comments section. One guy mentioned that he used a gearbox additive (ceramizer Xenum VRW Gear) and it cured the gearbox out of any problems with 2nd gear. I'm very tempted to try it out.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20210205_105633.png

Edited by Krokogator, 05 February 2021 - 10:01 AM.

#13 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4246 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 05 February 2021 - 11:15 AM

Well, if you do, let us know how you get on 👍
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users