Mondeo warning message - Diesel Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Mondeo warning message

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 islayhawk

islayhawk

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo
  • Name:peter

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:39 PM

My Mondeo mk4 ghia 2l tdci 08plate suddenly showed an engine malfunction message. Vehicle starts and runs fine. Garage computer showed oil and filter change required.So left it with them. Should the system not have given me a service warning instead of an engine malfunction.

#2 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 28995 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:55 AM

Maybe it had fault codes as well as being due a service?

Maybe with the cold spell the battery voltage dipped a little too much and

it threw a code which may never return?

Without reading the fault codes its anyones guess.

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#3 islayhawk

islayhawk

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:11 AM

If it had shown other codes I would have said. I said it showed it was due a service. Had it shown other codes I wouldnt have questioned the message.. My question was should the system have shown that the vehicle wss due an oil change which I believe is a spanner and not an engine malfunction

#4 Bandit51

Bandit51

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ford
  • Name:Steven

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:06 PM

Hi on all models there is an oil contamination strategy which manifests its self as an engine malfunction warning, this was particularly common on early vehicles as when they get older and have more engine wear they tend to let more diesel past the pistons during the regeneration of the Dpf, this is common problem with post injection regeneration strategy engines, Short journeys and town driving do not help as the vehicle gets older.

The sensor for picking up oil viscosity is incorporated in the oil level sensor thats why most level sensors have two wires and the Mondeo has three wires to accommodate the viscosity sensor, the service light spanner works on a fixed milage strategy.

#5 islayhawk

islayhawk

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:34 AM

That makes sense. So in time on a old engine engine oil would get contaminatd by diesel. Obviously tbis would give a false oil reading when engine oil level gets checked.

#6 Bandit51

Bandit51

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ford
  • Name:Steven

Posted 25 January 2021 - 05:28 PM

That makes sense. So in time on a old engine engine oil would get contaminatd by diesel. Obviously tbis would give a false oil reading when engine oil level gets checked.

Hi, unfortunately its a fact of life, over the years I have worked on cabs I have seen a lot of my fellow drivers who bought the early mk4 2.0 diesels have some pretty horrific problems as the milage soared above 150k, the worst case scenario was when the injectors were badly worn they used to drip diesel into the cylinders when it was not required this had the effect of over fuelling in so much as the larger droplets would not combust on the next combustion cycle and shoot past the rings and start to fill the sump.

One guy this happened to used to change the oil every four days but only half fill the sump so that by the end of the fourth day the sump was just over full, then he would change the oil again, anything rather than buy new injectors and if you worked out how much he spent on oil and filters over five months there probably was not a lot in it, anyway the issue was resolved for him when five months later he had been skimping on buying a new filter every time so the existing filter had started to break up and fed bits into the oil galleries and it seized up, then he had to buy a new car, not the cheaper option.

Having watched this circus for a couple of years when I had to buy mk4 I opted for a 2.2 as these were fitted with a Bosch injector rather than the Delphi equipped 2.0 my hunch panned out as I ran it from 9k - 300k without ever changing the injectors, I would not say that the 2.2 was bullet proof but there seems to be a marked difference in the rate of injector failure at higher milages, unless you use loads of supermarket fuel in which case it won't matter what you buy it will die prematurely anyway.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)