Swaying/Knocking/Front end - Ford Fiesta Mk7 Forum - (2008-2017) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Swaying/Knocking/Front end

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BlueMike2021

BlueMike2021

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:54 PM

OK...'58 plate bog standard Fiesta Mk.7...

For quite a while, when going over a hefty bump or pothole, I get a distinct single heavy knock from my front near side. Thoughts?

Also, and more worrying to me, sometimes at speed (say over 50, but usually 65 and upwards) the front end will start a slight but distinct and reasonably rapid side to side swaying feeling; it always remains under control but FEELS a little like the wheel and the car aren't quite together. Even my passenger can feel it when it happens. It does not do it every time- it did it for a bit going twenty mins up the road the other day, but not coming back, for example. One particular stretch of an A road I use occasionally seems to always upset it. Sometimes I've wondered if it corresponds to a crosswind, hard to be sure though.

Car feels fine at slower speeds, doesn't pull either way when the wheel is released, etc. Just passed the MoT last week. Whole thing is old and high mileage (110,000). Not had tracking done since I've had it (2017) but no uneven tyre wear. Thoughts?

#2 Mondygeek

Mondygeek

dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and no money

• Members
  • 3170 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3 (54) tdci
  • Name:Ben

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:17 PM

OK...'58 plate bog standard Fiesta Mk.7...

For quite a while, when going over a hefty bump or pothole, I get a distinct single heavy knock from my front near side. Thoughts?

Also, and more worrying to me, sometimes at speed (say over 50, but usually 65 and upwards) the front end will start a slight but distinct and reasonably rapid side to side swaying feeling; it always remains under control but FEELS a little like the wheel and the car aren't quite together. Even my passenger can feel it when it happens. It does not do it every time- it did it for a bit going twenty mins up the road the other day, but not coming back, for example. One particular stretch of an A road I use occasionally seems to always upset it. Sometimes I've wondered if it corresponds to a crosswind, hard to be sure though.

Car feels fine at slower speeds, doesn't pull either way when the wheel is released, etc. Just passed the MoT last week. Whole thing is old and high mileage (110,000). Not had tracking done since I've had it (2017) but no uneven tyre wear. Thoughts?

My 59 plate fiesta had a similar problem with the swaying which turned out to be the rear axle bushes, they was replaced and all is good. Wind is not brilliant in these cars but it's easy to tell if it's wind so if you're unsure then it's probably not wind

#3 BlueMike2021

BlueMike2021

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:23 PM

Interesting, as my rear bushes creak like absolute b'stards sometimes. How were yours diagnosed..?

Could be wind, seems to happen more on exposed A roads etc. You'd swear the swaying was coming from the front, though.

Edited by BlueMike2021, 21 January 2021 - 02:24 PM.

#4 Mondygeek

Mondygeek

• Members
  • 3170 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:43 PM

I understand fully what you mean, in wind mine does sway from the front.

The rear bushes was diagnosed by me with a pry bar, they had some play. I looked into it because sometimes on a bend you'd get a very prominent knock as if something was rolling in the boot or spare wheel well

#5 BlueMike2021

BlueMike2021

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:23 PM

Was it a reasonably rapid swaying, say a second or two side to side, feeling like the front was light and not quite in your control? Like it's been given a shove and is swinging back and forth until it stops again.

#6 Mondygeek

Mondygeek

• Members
  • 3170 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 01:46 AM

Before the bushes yes. Now just feels like a push from the wind and then straight again like any other car

#7 BlueMike2021

BlueMike2021

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:48 AM

Interesting, thank you.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users