PAS fluid Headache conundrum - Page 4 - Suspension / Wheels / Brakes / Steering (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

PAS fluid Headache conundrum

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Huckster522

Huckster522

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:06 mk3 Mondeo

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:24 PM

Huckster.

The idea of mk3 steering feeling lighter made me smile. :)

Every time I get in mine now (a rare thing) the steering feels so heavy it feels like there is no power steering. The same applies to the brakes, and feels like there is no servo in operation :)

I also drive a much newer Kia Rio and the steering is so light on it I almost wrench the wheel of when turning, the brakes do not feel any better than the Mondeo but the 1.4 auto Kia is way nippier.

But I still choose to drive the Mondy everyday as its just a far nicer, more comfortable car for short or long distances.

Will be a sad day when I have to say goodbye to it in the hopefully far away future.

#32 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12936 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:22 PM

Huckster.

The idea of mk3 steering feeling lighter made me smile. :)

Every time I get in mine now (a rare thing) the steering feels so heavy it feels like there is no power steering. The same applies to the brakes, and feels like there is no servo in operation :)

I also drive a much newer Kia Rio and the steering is so light on it I almost wrench the wheel of when turning, the brakes do not feel any better than the Mondeo but the 1.4 auto Kia is way nippier.

But I still choose to drive the Mondy everyday as its just a far nicer, more comfortable car for short or long distances.

Will be a sad day when I have to say goodbye to it in the hopefully far away future.

My previous two daily cars were a 2017 and 2020 Focus, but both had very harsh brakes that only needed a light touch. My current daily is a 2020 Ioniq, the brakes on that are much nicer and more progressive than harsh.

My Mondeo is Sorned at the moment,  getting into it to run the engine is like stepping back in time compared to the Ioniq, but the Mondy still has special appeal :)

You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#33 Huckster522

Huckster522

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:27 PM

Today on a phone call to the parts department at my local Hartwell dealers, I gave my car details to gentleman and he came back with the power steering fluid C-ML5, I asked him that shouldn't it be the 204 spec "DP-PS" He then went off for a short while and returned with "this is the one service use on your vehicle".

Which is probably why my car has red fluid in it as they serviced it twice for me in the past.

#34 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4278 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:33 AM

Well, if you go for red, then Asda sell the Carplan version quite cheaply, which I use in my 02 Mondy..... or will it be the green this time?
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#35 twincarbs

twincarbs

I Love Diesel

• Members
  • 2160 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo 2.2 TDCi

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:06 PM

I used this to top up my green fluid, cos it was the cheapest.

https://www.ebay.co....lcAAOSwJkNbcX5z

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Sometimes I let her sleep in.

#36 Huckster522

Huckster522

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:12 PM

Purchased 2 1Litre bottles of Carlube WSS-M2C-195-A spec from Ebay seller  for very good price, 4 quid each, it arrived today and job has been done.

1 ½ bottles to flush then topped up and checked with rest.

The fluid in the car was so black and burnt, it has stained the reservoir so badly the only way to see level was to shine LED torch through tank.

Has made the pump much quieter when on full lock, the squeal is much less now.

Future job when replacing fluid I may remove tank and clean or replace if necessary, and will not leave it so long next time.

I change oil and filter regularly as I do a lot of short distance journeys, so I might do a reservoir full of fluid swap at same time just to keep it fresh.

Edited by Huckster522, 21 January 2021 - 05:16 PM.

#37 Huckster522

Huckster522

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:14 PM

I used this to top up my green fluid, cos it was the cheapest.

https://www.ebay.co....lcAAOSwJkNbcX5z

That is a good price and maybe if I replace reservoir in future I may flush and try the green to see what actual differences it makes to the feel of steering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users