2.2 Tdci Starter Motor Removal - Diesel Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

2.2 Tdci Starter Motor Removal

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nevets

Nevets

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.2
  • Name:Steve

Posted 08 January 2021 - 02:58 PM

Hi,

My starter motor has packed up on my 2008 Mondeo 2.2Tdci Titanium X and I'm struggling to remove it.  I have unbolted it but it won't go far enough back to pull it out.

I've taken out the fuel filter and turbo boost pipe to improve access and I've been wiggling it all ways and can't work out how it comes out.  

I had to come in as my hands were going numb! Brrr! 

Any advice appreciated!  TIA!  :L

#2 riikomi

riikomi

TF regular

• Members
  • 715 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2009 2.2

Posted 08 January 2021 - 04:45 PM

According to FordEtis, you should only remove the oil dipstick.

#3 Nevets

Nevets

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 January 2021 - 08:01 PM

Thanks.  I had another look this afternoon and I think that's right. 

It looks as though when the dipstick tube is removed the starter can be moved back out of its housing and the back of the starter can be 'swung' out.  The dipstick tube gets in the way.

I'll have a go tomorrow and report back.  :L

#4 Nevets

Nevets

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 11:04 PM

So I undid the dipstick tube screw (which was very fiddly) and pulled the dipstick tube out of it's hole, this gave enough to move it away so I could wiggle the starter motor out.  :L

I put it all back together, but the starter motor isn't engaging with the flywheel.  When I press the start button all that happens is the starter motor spins. Bugger!  :angry:

#5 SteveyG

SteveyG

Clever cloggs

• Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk4.5 TXS 2.2

Posted 11 January 2021 - 09:05 AM

Check the connections onto the bendix. 

#6 Bandit51

Bandit51

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ford
  • Name:Steven

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:11 PM

So I undid the dipstick tube screw (which was very fiddly) and pulled the dipstick tube out of it's hole, this gave enough to move it away so I could wiggle the starter motor out.  :L

I put it all back together, but the starter motor isn't engaging with the flywheel.  When I press the start button all that happens is the starter motor spins. Bugger!  :angry:

Thats because the wassoc that sold you the starter has given you an eleven tooth geared starter which they all say that should fit your car as its the same as fitted to the 2.0 Dw engine, WRONG, the 2.2 uses a ten tooth starter gear, the only reason I know is I spent four hours with a torch one night trying to change the starter on my cab so I could do my airport return the following morning, shame of it was I succeeded, only to get the same result as you got due to the fact the elven tooth gear is bigger than the ten therefore it just hits the flywheel and spins and won't engage with the flywheel ring gear, just thought I would put that one out there.

#7 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5324 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:27 PM

POPULAR

Thats dam good info although on Euro Car Parts they list the same part number for 2008 2 litre diesel and 2.2 litre diesel (RTX's 402591219)

You can see the different part numbers depending on model on the CatCar Ford Parts List

http://www.catcar.in...m91cD09MzAzMDY=

Edited by TreborB, 14 January 2021 - 07:35 PM.

• Bandit51 likes this

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

#8 TheAntman

TheAntman

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Sport
  • Name:Tony Ford

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:47 PM

POPULAR

Thats dam good info although on Euro Car Parts they list the same part number for 2008 2 litre diesel and 2.2 litre diesel (RTX's 402591219)

You can see the different part numbers depending on model on the CatCar Ford Parts List

http://www.catcar.in...m91cD09MzAzMDY=

Well your first mistake is trusting anything on Useless Car Parts website.

I no longer even trust Haynes to get things right.

Once trusted workshop manual producer, my Mondeo manual is so full of mistakes and completely incorrect information I daren't trust it.

• Bandit51 likes this

#9 Bandit51

Bandit51

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ford
  • Name:Steven

Posted 15 January 2021 - 05:17 PM

POPULAR

Hi with regards to Haynes if you looked at some of the older manuals they are packed with accurate info and pictures, I think what they have suffered from is a progressive reticence from the manufacturers to hand over all the information they need therefore they have to fill in the gaps with statements like this repair can only be performed by a main dealer.

After all it must kill them to think of all that labour money they are losing to people who want to have a go themselves and most  probably succeed armed only with a book to get them in the right ball park, as for the  Car Parts websites the information is entered in parrot like fashion by their resident IT boy who has no idea about car parts and cares even less about the origin of the information supplied.

I now use an Audi as a cab and believe me when I tell you nearly all the forum members on any forum sites are terrified of what they have and merely post things about needing bulb/wheel size changes most replies are at best vague or suggest booking it in to the dealers even for fault codes, if they were half as adventurous as most of the guys on this forum Audi wouldn't be making half of what they are making out of their customers.

thats why I still hang around on this forum because if I can impart any solid information to help anyone I am a happy Chappy.

• TreborB likes this

#10 TheAntman

TheAntman

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Sport
  • Name:Tony Ford

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:23 PM

Haynes hardly need to check with Ford to know when the Mondeo was first introduced.

According to the Mk4 Workshop manual, Mondeo was first introduced in the year 2000 (which is the year the Mk3 came along), rather than 1993 as was actually the case.

When I was rebuilding my engine and checking over the turbo, when refitting, I used the Torque settings from the Haynes manual, and ended up snapping the bolt on the oil line and had to buy a replacement.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users