Ford Automobiles Forum banner

duratec 2.0 l engine problems

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  kamazoo 
#1 ·
hi ive got 57 reg 20l petrol. bought it cheap. it smokes like a chimney when start up. rattles when hard accelerate uses oil. i no engine had it. what other engine could i drop in to it thanks

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ideally, any 4cyl duratec he petrol from another MK4 Mondeo.

If you're really stuck finding one (since the vast majority of Mk4s are Diesel), you possibly could use the long block from a Mk3, or a similar age 2.0 Focus or Mazda, which are far easier to find, but you'd need to use all the Mk4 ancillary bits. Try and get something as close as possible to the original one. I don't know enough about what they changed with the Mk4 to know for sure if it'll be completely straightforward, but maybe someone else out there has tried it.

I suppose it's also possible to fit a Volvo 5 cylinder (since they did sell Mk4s with those), however you will likely want a donor car to swap all the ECU, wiring and other bits from. It's likely to be a mammoth of a job. If you can find one that's been smashed up you could possibly make a good car from the two without it being pointless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.