Noise Clutch Pedal - Transmission / Drivetrain (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Noise Clutch Pedal

clutch transmission cylinder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cantiflas

Cantiflas

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDdi
  • Name:João Miguel Gomes

Posted 24 November 2020 - 05:23 PM

Hello guys,

Hope everyone is doing okay during these times.

I'm having an issue with my old TDDI Mondeo; actually 2 different issues but I think they are related to each other.

Current mileage is 142.5k. More or less at 140k the clutch pedal stayed down when entering a roundabout at a little more speed than usual (fast acceleration and gear change from 1st to 2nd). But I could change between gears afterwards just fine, the pedal travel was very short. When I stopped the car I pulled the pedal back with my feet and stayed normal for a while.

Now this happened again today, but 2 times during a short drive.

The other issue is a noise, similar like a cricket, when I press the clutch pedal. The noise was present for a long time but now it is more noticeable. I have a video where it's possible to ear it. Here it follows: https://streamable.com/uaehea 

So my question is if the problem is somewhere related to the clutch itself or only limited to the pedal.

Another thing is that Ford now have competitive prices for clutch kits, but they say they are refurbished.. How's it possible to pay 715€ for a 3 pieces clutch kit that is not new is beyond my imagination, but it is Ford we are talking about..

Anyway, hope someone can provide me some insights about this. Thank you very much in advance, and stay safe!

#2 DavieWeegie

DavieWeegie

Mondeo Lover

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST TDCI 2005
  • Name:David

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:06 PM

with what you describe it sounds like a problem with the CSC (concentric slave cylinder), this would require the gearbox out and a new 3 piece clutch kit installed and its cost effective to replace the flywheel while the box is off, quite a big job, in the UK we would be paying £600-£900 at any independant garage to fit a full clutch kit with new flywheel, at Ford this would be well over £1000 for the same work, it may be worth asking around other garages (not Ford) to see what prices they could do the full job at.

Edited by DavieWeegie, 24 November 2020 - 07:07 PM.

Performance Blue Mondeo ST TDCI 2005

#3 Cantiflas

Cantiflas

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:10 AM

with what you describe it sounds like a problem with the CSC (concentric slave cylinder), this would require the gearbox out and a new 3 piece clutch kit installed and its cost effective to replace the flywheel while the box is off, quite a big job, in the UK we would be paying £600-£900 at any independant garage to fit a full clutch kit with new flywheel, at Ford this would be well over £1000 for the same work, it may be worth asking around other garages (not Ford) to see what prices they could do the full job at.

Thank you Davie.

So my worst fears are confirmed, new clutch. It was expected due to the mileage but it's always a bad time.

I will check first at Ford, because this car does not go very well when I fit non-original parts into it, but since these prices are very high, yeah it's worth a shot.

Is it worth it to replace the master cylinder too or it's not that necessary?

#4 DavieWeegie

DavieWeegie

Mondeo Lover

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST TDCI 2005
  • Name:David

Posted 25 November 2020 - 12:41 AM

POPULAR

its not necessary to replace the master cylinder, only the dual mass flywheel, and 3 piece clutch kit.

if you take it to Ford they will most likely replace it with an LUK flywheel and clutch kit, which is the same as an independant garage would put in if you ask them too, absolutly no reason to pay Fords stupid prices for their rubbish workmanship, always better to help out small businesses and even more so in these uncertain times.

• mondy zetecs and Cantiflas like this

Performance Blue Mondeo ST TDCI 2005

#5 Cantiflas

Cantiflas

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:47 AM

POPULAR

its not necessary to replace the master cylinder, only the dual mass flywheel, and 3 piece clutch kit.

if you take it to Ford they will most likely replace it with an LUK flywheel and clutch kit, which is the same as an independant garage would put in if you ask them too, absolutly no reason to pay Fords stupid prices for their rubbish workmanship, always better to help out small businesses and even more so in these uncertain times.

Yeah, you are right Davie. I was going to ask exactly that, which brand was the clutch material. I will check for prices but I think I can find everything for approximately £500~£600, half the price at Ford for sure.

Thank you for the helpful information!

• DavieWeegie likes this

#6 Cantiflas

Cantiflas

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:55 PM

Hello again everyone!

After searching here on the forums on which clutch brand I should fit to my Mondeo I can see LUK or Sachs are the best options.

From what I've understood, the LUK one is the OE part Ford uses, but Sachs produces a different type of clutch kit and DMF (planetary) that in theory are more robust than standard ones.

So I'm really in doubt on which one should I fit. I'm inclined for Sachs, but LUK is OE. Maybe someone can share their experiences with both kits.

Just as information sharing, I will put here the reference prices I can get in Portugal.

Price wise the difference is around ~£50 for the kit (including DMF)

- LUK is £336

- Sachs is £386

Ford in Portugal doesn't sell the 3 pieces kit with brand new pieces, only refurbished ones. If I want them brand new I need to get them separately. The prices are the following:

- 3 pieces kit (clutch + CSC, refurbished): £307

- Clutch discs (new): £374

- Hydraulic Cilinder (new): £247

- DMF: £643

Thank you guys, and stay safe!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clutch, transmission, cylinder

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users