mk4.5 DPF monitoring and values - Diesel Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

mk4.5 DPF monitoring and values

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 radulescu21

radulescu21

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4.5
  • Name:Alex

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:50 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been going trough some DPF topics, but it seems there are still many unknowns to this and I couldn't find any definite answers.

So I'm having my vaporizer give up slowly in the last few weeks, but since I can only make it to the garage for replacement in a few days, I've been monitoring the DPF with Forscan lite, to make sure I don't end up clogging it.

I've also been curious for some time in what state my DPF might be.

So my latest journeys have bee quite short. 40km/day, 20km one way, shut the car off, then 20km back (main roads, no city). With this type of drives I get a regen every 130-200km.

After a regen the DPF_LOAD would be around 50% and the DPF_SOOT_LD at 25%.

The DPF_SOOT rises at a constant rate while the DPF_LOAD sometimes drops, then climbs back...but always staying a bit higher than the DPF_SOOT. As the LOAD reaches 81% the SOOT is 75% and it triggers a regen, exhaust goes up from around 250 to 600 degrees and brings the SOOT back to 25% and the LOAD to around 50%. But as mentioned the LOAD will climb or drop while the SOOT goes only up.

Now DP_DPF is 0.0 at idle, 2.0 at 2000rpm wih no load. And during constant driving it's 3-4 kPa bellow 100km/h, 7-8 kPa at 140km/h in 6th gear and max I've seen on full throttle I think was something like 16-18 kPa. These don't change much at all even if it's near regen point, maybe 1kPa across the board as it get's full.

I will be changing the vaporizer as I got a P244C exhaust temp too low for regen one day. I have to monitor when it's doing the regen and keep in a lower gear with revs up to help it make the 600 degrees.

But my question is about the above data I've noticed during the monitoring. Does it look like the DPF is still in good shape?

My engine is 2.0/163ps

Edited by radulescu21, 17 November 2020 - 10:54 PM.

#2 SteveyG

SteveyG

Clever cloggs

• Members
  • 1576 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk4.5 TXS 2.2
  • Name:Steve

Posted 18 November 2020 - 09:56 AM

Sounds like normal behaviour but the DPF is partially clogged. DPF_SOOT_LD is normally at 6-8% on my 2.2 after a regen, so the PCM on yours looks like it detected the soot accumulation was no longer dropping so terminates at 25%.

DPF_LOAD is dynamic depending on driving so that often fluctuates.

#3 radulescu21

radulescu21

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 11:48 AM

I'll fit a new vaporizer this weekend, to get rid of the P244C.

The code is thrown if it's doing a regen and I just drive normally. It only cleans to about 40% SOOT and Engine Malfunction.

However It does not throw the code if I help it regen and stay for example in 4th gear over 2500rpm, during regeneration, to help keep the temps above 600. No codes but stops at 25%

Maybe it's still the vaporizer that can't get it bellow 25%. I don't know how it was before, to have a reference.

I'll keep monitoring after I replace it.

But the pressure readings are ok? As there are so many different opinions on them to.

#4 getsome

getsome

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 300 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4.5 TDCi
  • Name:Raffe

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:07 AM

POPULAR

On the 2.0 the soot load will not climb to lower than 23 % after regen so your filter is in good condition.

• radulescu21 likes this

#5 radulescu21

radulescu21

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:11 AM

Replaced the damn vaporizer this weekend.

It had like 1mm hole left, full of carbon junk. Everything back to normal now. Regens are back to about every 200km, for my current driving routines. Exhaust temp goes right up to ~630 without me having to keep the revs up.

I did think that 23-25% remaining SOOT after a regen should be normal. As it didn't seem like it's trying to clean and can't drop bellow that. As soon as it reaches 25% the glow plug goes off. So it looks like the ecu's decision to stop the regen at that point.

I'm guessing it's the best safe strategy, to keep the filter between 25-80% for minimal stress.

Anyway, all good now, and I'm happy with the state if my filter.

#6 getsome

getsome

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 02:12 PM

POPULAR

Just a tip.. if you "close" the EGR in PCM firmware you will have 70% less soot entering the DPF and regens every 800-1000 km instead and better fuel economy (my consumption dropped from 6.2-5.8 l/100 km to 5.2-5.4 l/100 km on average @ pump) there is a simple way of fooling the PCM to close the EGR by using a 5 K resistor (i have made a post about it here just search) if you don´t have someone who can help you reprogram the PCM. And also if you go down this route don´t forget to insert an EGR blanking plate without a hole just in case the EGR leaks a bit.

• radulescu21 likes this

#7 maidu.saat

maidu.saat

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 163ps

Posted 01 December 2020 - 12:57 PM

Just a tip.. if you "close" the EGR in PCM firmware you will have 70% less soot entering the DPF and regens every 800-1000 km instead and better fuel economy (my consumption dropped from 6.2-5.8 l/100 km to 5.2-5.4 l/100 km on average @ pump) there is a simple way of fooling the PCM to close the EGR by using a 5 K resistor (i have made a post about it here just search) if you don´t have someone who can help you reprogram the PCM. And also if you go down this route don´t forget to insert an EGR blanking plate without a hole just in case the EGR leaks a bit.

Can confirm as i've done that mod to my engine. But the main problem i think is the EGR itself. Either do the mod&blank or diagnose your EGR.

#8 getsome

getsome

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 06:58 AM

Main problem is Fords aggressive dutycycle on the EGR during normal driving. the EGR is no problem in itself , if it was you would get a faultcode and I have never had an PCM faultcode for the last 8 years I had my Mondeo

#9 riikomi

riikomi

TF regular

• Members
  • 714 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2009 2.2

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:51 AM

The soot is never burnt down to zero. Some soot is intentionally left left inside the filter to improve screening efficiency.

#10 maidu.saat

maidu.saat

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 163ps

Posted 03 December 2020 - 09:23 PM

I had my mondy about a year before it acted up similarly. After the mod it's back to "normal" . So it is a result of some sort of a fault. All I can think of is EGR because its in this department and this mod disables egr usage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users