Tailgate release switch not working / same with new one - Electrical (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Tailgate release switch not working / same with new one

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pilch76

pilch76

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo TitX Sport
  • Name:Rich

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:39 PM

So last week my hatchback tailgate release switch didn't work, but then when I next tried it did. Then it stopped for good so assumed the switch was a fault. So a new one arrived today but it makes no difference. So where shall I look, is there any simple testing procedure? Whether it's coincidental but my number plate bulbs have not been lasting long 🤔 I've checked the wiring through the boot grommets as they seem fine with no obvious breakages. Release the tailgate from the remote fob works fine so there's no issue getting in the boot

#2 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4213 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:46 AM

So, if the latch motor works, then I'd say the next thing to do is get a multimeter and test out the wiring for continuity
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#3 pilch76

pilch76

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 06:01 PM

So, if the latch motor works, then I'd say the next thing to do is get a multimeter and test out the wiring for continuity

The switched worked a couple of times since then stopped again. I gather the switch just completes the earth?

#4 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4213 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:09 PM

I believe so. Was your replacement switch brand new? Have you done any testing with a multimeter yet.
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#5 pilch76

pilch76

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:45 PM

Yes switch brand new. My multimeter probes don't fit into the plug so I need to find my old multimeter that has much thinner probes!

#6 pilch76

pilch76

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 02:54 PM

Multimeter reading on the plug....

3A0974CC-667C-4A53-9944-8826602E94EC.jpeg

Edited by pilch76, 23 November 2020 - 02:57 PM.

#7 pilch76

pilch76

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 05:08 PM

I found a break in the wiring by the loom multiplug behind the boot trim. Replaced a short length of wire and it working again 👍🏻👍🏻

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users