Poor mpg - Page 2 - Mondeo Mk3 General Discussion - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Poor mpg

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2148 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo, TDCI

Posted 11 November 2020 - 11:42 AM

When I think I have a binding, usually rear, although I initially do a DDC (Digital Disk Check) I next retrieve one of my most useful Chinese toys, the IR thermometer and take reading directly off the disk.

In the past, binding has happened too frequently due to the poor design of the handbrake mechanism where moisture gets into the shaft past the rubber seal.

Since renovating the mechanism by cleaning the shaft and bore, I have not had a problem for some time, but winter will be the next test.

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

#12 Jeremy67

Jeremy67

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2005 Mondeo Ghia X
  • Name:Jeremy Cogman

Posted 09 December 2020 - 09:16 PM

This thread has made me feel a bit better about 26.3 from the 3.0 in mine.  It would probably be even better if I didn't succumb to the temptation to make it sing a couple of times in every 10 mile commute.

#13 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12916 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 December 2020 - 11:10 PM

Due to short journeys, and nearly always having the lights, heater, heated seats and heated steering wheel on my Ioniq isn’t getting great mpg at the moment................I’m down to 53mpg hahahahahahaha. :)

You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#14 UseHerName

UseHerName

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST TDCI (56)

Posted 31 December 2020 - 07:59 PM

I'm going to go with a wild semi off topic suggestion/question here - how is your temperature gauge? Works perfectly? If not then i don't know if you're like me and get annoyed about it and want it doing or if you're like my brother and it's a case of car runs so it'll do.

From listening to him about his 2 Mondeos (one was a 130, the other a ST TDCI) and from reading online, this forum and elsewhere, i took my chances at mine being the oil cooler thermostat as to why it wouldn't get off rock bottom. I heard that people who had it sorted noted an improvement in MPG.

I was expecting maybe 1mpg, 2 tops.

Before i got it sorted i was getting about 38-39mpg on a drive to work that i was getting 36mpg in a 1.8 MK4 Astra. Got the thermostat sorted and for the past few days with a couple minutes idling first thing while the window demists and having the heated seat on (things that weren't being used before i got the stat sorted) i am seeing a return of 46mpg. I'm not driving any differently.

#15 stonekeeper

stonekeeper

TF regular

• Members
  • 780 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo titanium x
  • Name:Mark

Posted 31 December 2020 - 08:13 PM

Due to short journeys, and nearly always having the lights, heater, heated seats and heated steering wheel on my Ioniq isn’t getting great mpg at the moment................I’m down to 53mpg hahahahahahaha. :)

And here's me thinking you had gone electric :biggrin:

#16 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 29142 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 01 January 2021 - 03:01 AM

The increase in MPG doesn't surprise me, the diesels are cool running and

the ECU adding more fuel when cold makes sense.

Never actually tested it though, just assumed.  The revs may increase slightly under

certain loads like the heated screens and AC to prevent it stalling.

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#17 raynkar

raynkar

• Members
  • 12916 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 January 2021 - 10:25 AM

POPULAR

The fact my hybrid gives mpg figures when in electric mode is always a source of amusement :)

What gives a somewhat smug feeling is a long downhill stretch of motorway I often use. The car is in electric vehicle mode, and has MORE ‘fuel’ at the end of the downhill stretch than at the start.............that takes a bit of getting used to :)

I am driving the car very differently, and enjoy using self charging as much as possible. The car has paddle shifters behind the steering wheel. They act as normal gear change paddle shifters when in sport mode, but in eco mode change to become regeneration paddles, and give three different levels of regeneration braking.

This pic shows the mpg readout, but also that the car is in electric mode.

49EE5B78-D89A-4A47-AA28-1F34889B81EF.jpeg

Edited by raynkar, 01 January 2021 - 10:28 AM.

• stonekeeper likes this
You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#18 stonekeeper

stonekeeper

TF regular

• Members
  • 780 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo titanium x
  • Name:Mark

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:12 AM

The fact my hybrid gives mpg figures when in electric mode is always a source of amusement :)

What gives a somewhat smug feeling is a long downhill stretch of motorway I often use. The car is in electric vehicle mode, and has MORE ‘fuel’ at the end of the downhill stretch than at the start.............that takes a bit of getting used to :)

I am driving the car very differently, and enjoy using self charging as much as possible. The car has paddle shifters behind the steering wheel. They act as normal gear change paddle shifters when in sport mode, but in eco mode change to become regeneration paddles, and give three different levels of regeneration braking.

attachicon.gif49EE5B78-D89A-4A47-AA28-1F34889B81EF.jpeg

As soon as they make one that can tow a Caravan and have Charging points to accomodate whilst Towing

I am in if i can afford it.

As long as the cost makes sense financially

I assume the prices will drop with scale.

The difference in purchase price between Diesel and Electric buys a lot of diesel?

#19 raynkar

raynkar

• Members
  • 12916 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 January 2021 - 01:05 PM

attachicon.gif49EE5B78-D89A-4A47-AA28-1F34889B81EF.jpeg

As soon as they make one that can tow a Caravan and have Charging points to accomodate whilst Towing

I am in if i can afford it.

As long as the cost makes sense financially

I assume the prices will drop with scale.

The difference in purchase price between Diesel and Electric buys a lot of diesel?

Regarding your last sentence, that might only be true for a short while.

While both types might see 70mpg on the same journey it is only a matter of time before many cities start placing congestion taxes on any diesel car. I live lose to Bristol and Bath, both councils have already wanted to do this. The thought of adding a £50-55 charge for five days commuting on a 12 mile round trip would make a huge difference.

Bristol wanted to ban ALL diesel cars from entering during the day. 

I’m not saying a car with something like a Euro 6 diesel is an issue, but do see the near constant XR protests in Bristol, and know they aren’t always bothered by actual facts :)

We have a hybrid as pure electric wouldn’t be practical due to lack of charging facilities. At the moment, and only doing short winter journeys the car is doing 52-53mpg. That is a big improvement on 23-25 for the mk3.5 and mk4 Focus cars I had previously, or 17mpg for my 220.

Pulling a caravan should be easier with an electric or hybrid car (once larger ones come around) as they have 100% hp available from a standstill. Even my Ioniq with 140hp is surprising quick from the lights in sport mode.

Some people I talk with who have car industry connections say they are waiting for ‘solid state’ batteries to mature, as those would be a huge leap over the current batteries in electric cars. As it stands now I would get roughly 700 miles range on a full tank and charge.

Something that’s brilliant on my wallet is the fact that despite the Ioniq having a much smaller fuel tank than my mondeo it will do 450 miles more on one tank :)

Edited by raynkar, 01 January 2021 - 01:07 PM.

#20 TreborB

TreborB

8 gears or more please

• Members
  • 5321 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 01 January 2021 - 01:25 PM

POPULAR

Hi Ray, quick? Isn't your 0 to 60 time a long 10.8 secs?
Electric would have to be Tesla or similar for me so I am always £50k short of what I have, ha ha
Talking Tesla they are only electric Mondeo's anyway, but with far more inferior build quality compared to Ford!
  • stonekeeper likes this

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users