2.0 TDCi - Doesn't always start first time - Page 2 - Diesel Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

2.0 TDCi - Doesn't always start first time

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 jonny

jonny

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Galaxy
  • Name:Jonny

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:11 AM

Haha, it does look an unnecessarily complicated job, but being a tight fisted Yorkshireman I'd still rather dismantle half the engine to change £40-worth of glow plugs than shell out £250+ a pop for injectors! :D

#12 stephenbennett1979

stephenbennett1979

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo Mk 4
  • Name:Stephen Bennett

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:12 AM

Or does someone have spare ones that may need a refurb or may even work that they could send you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 stephenbennett1979

stephenbennett1979

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:14 AM

Wait I’d need to check which engine before lol.

#14 jsondergaard

jsondergaard

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4
  • Name:Jacob

Posted 30 October 2020 - 02:08 PM

As you mentioned, try looking at the resistance in the glow plugs. Even if they're bad, the engine should start without much hesitation. 

Here's Fords list for fault finding a non-start

- low fuel in the tank

- fuel filter element blocked
- fuel lines damaged or blocked
- air ingress into the fuel lines
- glow plugs
- incorrect valve timing
- low cylinder compression
- crankshaft position sensor
- camshaft position sensor
- pcm
- frp sensor
- fuel pump fuel pressure regulator
- fuel pump
- fuel injectors

I would recommend doing it chronologically. I've just been through it myself, which turned out to be the springs in the HPFP which were fatigued.

Mondeo MK4, Titanium X, 2.0 TDCi 106 kW, 2008

Mondeo MK3, Ghia, 2.0 TDCi 97 kW, 2004

Focus MK2, Trend, 1.6 TDCi 67 kW, 2008

#15 jonny

jonny

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Galaxy
  • Name:Jonny

Posted 01 November 2020 - 11:48 AM

Thanks again for the info gents.

I had half an hour of tinkering with the car just now. As well as monitoring fuel rail pressure and flow plug on/off via Forscan, I put a current clamp on the glow plug wiring.

Turns out that the current flow bears little relation to the glow plug lamp on the dash! 40 amps were drawn for a few seconds when the ignition is first turned on, whereas the dashboard glow plug lamp only lights for a fraction of a second. The current then drops to around 20A, where it remains for quite a bit longer. After which, despite it being quite cold and the car having stood unused for 4 or 5 days, it started perfectly with barely any cranking. Interestingly, the glow plugs then remain on for a minute or so once the engine is running, current draw has dropped to around 16A at this point.

So Lesson 1 is ignore the bloody light and give it 10 seconds or so before cranking!

Also checked the resistances of the plugs, from the 4-pin connector on top of the engine near the cambelt cover. 1 and 4 are fine (about 0.2 ohms each), however 2 and 3 appear open circuit. So although giving the surviving 2 time to heat up improves starting, it still wants a new set fitting. This also means, of course, that the current figures I measured above will all be around half what they should be.

(Incidentally, replacing the plugs looks like a royal bast**rd of a job, what with them being buried down the back of the engine beneath the EGR cooler etc. Anyone had them done at a garage and if so what did it cost? Thinking it may be worth £100 or so of garage labour charges rather than doing them myself - especially given the risk of breaking one off in the cylinder head...)

Fuel rail pressure was zero initially but rises very quickly as soon as the engine is cranked. I'm not sure how much pressure the common rail systems are supposed to hold once stopped, but the almost immediate rise to working pressure on cranking suggests that there's no issues in this area.

#16 stephenbennett1979

stephenbennett1979

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 12:00 PM

Where are you based? I’ve just replaced my egr valve once that is removed it’s easy access there are right behind them. It’s a very easy job it’s what that has got to be removed. Drain the coolant remove the throttle body few screws and bolts here and there.. I’d say over a hour for a garage. The glow plugs in those models are known to snap if not wine and dined first and talked to like a queen.

#17 ZahMaster

ZahMaster

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4
  • Name:Zachar

Posted 14 November 2020 - 10:16 PM

Did you solve the problem? I have literally the same problem as you described in the first post. However, my engine is 2.2L Q4BA. I replaced the candles a long time ago and it did not help. I have been looking for a solution for a long time and I am focusing on 3 things now:
2) starter
3) egr
The weird thing is that I don't have any bugs. This most likely indicates a problem with the starter. There is not enough power to start the engine.

Edited by ZahMaster, 14 November 2020 - 10:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users