P2336 again - Page 7 - Diesel Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

P2336 again

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2042 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo, TDCI

Posted 29 October 2020 - 02:34 PM

An update following re-coding with the TunnelRat toy.

Did a leak-off test today, 2 mins idle / 30 seconds @ 3800 rpm / 30 seconds idle x 3.  This is the result:

Leak-off2.jpg

Does not look good!  According to the info I have, good injectors should leak around 25ml.

So removed the fuel filter and emptied the contents to check for any metal 'dust.'  The filter is not the E version and has almost 20k since last replacing.  I also removed the HP supply hose and flushed it.  Since replacing the HP pump at around 120k, I have been paranoid about the pump breaking down so have magnets everywhere to hopefully, collect any 'dust' as it passes and therefore, protect the injectors.  Have a few on the filter and in two locations on the supply pump supply hose.

Unfortunately, this is the contents of the filter and hose:

Filter Residue (Large).jpg

The black 'stuff' is magnetic!  So at 80k, I can only conclude that the HP pump is wearing again and will need replacing, along with the injectors.  And I though I was good to go for a lot longer.  May be refurbed pumps are not all they are cracked up to be?

DSCF3060 (Medium).JPG

However, all the error codes have cleared and there is nothing coming up regarding the injectors or pump (yet!)  Guess that is only a question of time.

If there is an upside, I have done it before and have the timing chain locking tool, which I thought I would never have to use again.  How wrong can I be?  My wife know the answer; always!

Edited by Rekusu, 29 October 2020 - 02:37 PM.

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

#62 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4132 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:49 PM

Hmm, the black dust can't be from the pump 'cos inside the pump it's silvery grey coloured. Maybe it's from the filling stations' tanks...🤔
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#63 DavieWeegie

DavieWeegie

Mondeo Lover

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST TDCI 2005
  • Name:David

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:57 PM

to be honest I wouldnt worry so much about that amount of debris in the filter, it couldve come from filling or a corroded filler neck or something, plus with having the filter on for 20k it looks actually pretty clean, I've seen some MK3 filter that are 10x as much debris as that after only 10k, its good that you have magnets placed about to help it not get to the injectors but I'd worry that they could be holding quite a bit of swarf in the pipes and if you ever took them off that will go right through the system.

Performance Blue Mondeo ST TDCI 2005

#64 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 2042 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo, TDCI

Posted 03 November 2020 - 01:59 PM

Since I only had half a tank of fuel, I used a full bottle of that Redex injector cleaner and have been poodling around.

I always try to 'clean' the engine pre-MOT, which is next week.  At the moment, under full pedal to the metal acceleration, there is no smoke and apart from a brief pause in 3rd, then the turbo kicks in, she is pulling as well as can be expected.

I will do another leak-off soon and see if the cleaner has done anything to the injectors.

What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users