Steering wheel controls problem - Android Navigation - In-Car Entertainment (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

Photo

Steering wheel controls problem - Android Navigation

steering wheel controls steering wheel android navigation steering wheel controls wheel controls problem canbus software

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 andreitc

andreitc

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo mk4
  • Name:Tudor Andrei

Posted 16 October 2020 - 02:22 PM

Hello all,

I've installed in my car (2007 Ford Mondeo MK4) an aftermarket navigation unit running Android 8.1. I've installed it correctly, connecting also the CANBUS decoder thing which came in the navigation package. The problem is that the steering wheel controls don't work. The navigation cannot read the steering wheel buttons commands.

In the navigation software there is included a steering wheel button mapping software, but, when I try to map a button, I get an error and it does not work. 

Photo with the error when I try to map a button:

Screenshot_20201016-152825.th.png

I've searched for this problem and the thing is that this navigation includes a system for setting the CANBUS software version, basically this has a bunch of "manufacturers" from what I could see, each with a bunch of automakers, including Ford, and in Ford there is another section where I can choose my car model from. I've selected the apparent correct model of my vehicle, but the commands don't work. I've also tried with more models from that list, but none of them works. I've also restarted the system after each modification, because this is what I've seen where I've searched for this issue. 

The model I've selected: 
Screenshot_20201016-152914.th.png

8F4FC094-E0E0-4122-B707-962DCE33E1E3.th.

00CCCCBA-DA30-4EA5-8B99-695F1000A679.th.

Photos with some of the CANBUS manufactures that I can choose from:
6D6D256C-63F5-44FD-8F7D-41D8A824B0D6.th.

26E8B995-2BD0-4A8D-9A25-27F5DA39C76B.th.

The question is:
Does anyone has any idea how can i solve it, if they bumped into this error when installing this type of Android navigation? 
What CANBUS product / model should I choose from the list in order for the steering wheel commands to work?

Complete information about my navigation system:
Screenshot_20201016-153928.th.png

I've attached a lot of pictures in order to better understand my problem

Thanks in advance!

#2 Automatic1

Automatic1

Likes to chat

• Gold Member
  • 286 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo 240PS

Posted 16 October 2020 - 05:45 PM

it seems like a really old unit, according to specs Etc.

modern android units dont have such an issue and if you can, contact the company you bought it from.

I can tell you that from my experience, i had a real android system 4 years ago, everything worked with the decoder back then.

But, it was an EONON unit.

Today, i have a modern unit with real android 9, everything works straight out of the box. 

For your question, just try everything there is, one by one, there is no solution or magic in it. 

#3 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1201 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4 Mondeo 2.5t
  • Name:Mark

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:21 PM

Ah, the joys of a regular head unit, you plug it in and it works. No updating, no reconfiguring, no button remapping it just works 😎

RamAir Pod Filter   -   Elevate FST225 Top Pipe   -   Airtec FMIC   -   Scorpion Downpipe   -    Scorpion Cat Back Exhaust   -   ECV Valve   -   RS DMF + Clutch Kit   -   Bluefin Stage 2

Bluetooth + USB mod   -   Convers Mod   -   NX Mod

Sports Rear Diffuser   -   Sports Top Front Grill   -   Sports Bottom Front Grill   -   Sports Fog Lights   -   Sport Pedal Covers   -   Dark Ice Designs Auto Lift Boot Struts   -   Dark Ice Designs Bonnet Rams   -   Dark Ice Designs Short Shift Kit   -   Auto Mirror Mod   -   Interior LED Conversion   -   Nextbase 402 and 512 Dashcams

295bhp & 450nm of fun, but can still give 38mpg  :driving: 

#4 Automatic1

Automatic1

Likes to chat

• Gold Member
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:05 PM

Yes, the joys of regular android unit that you buy from a good source meant for mondeo.

The android unit he bought, is old, bad canbus decoder and need to configure it.

You can enjoy your old useless unit, for sure.

#5 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1201 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4 Mondeo 2.5t
  • Name:Mark

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:10 PM

LMAO!!!! My less than a year old unit does all I need it to.

RamAir Pod Filter   -   Elevate FST225 Top Pipe   -   Airtec FMIC   -   Scorpion Downpipe   -    Scorpion Cat Back Exhaust   -   ECV Valve   -   RS DMF + Clutch Kit   -   Bluefin Stage 2

Bluetooth + USB mod   -   Convers Mod   -   NX Mod

Sports Rear Diffuser   -   Sports Top Front Grill   -   Sports Bottom Front Grill   -   Sports Fog Lights   -   Sport Pedal Covers   -   Dark Ice Designs Auto Lift Boot Struts   -   Dark Ice Designs Bonnet Rams   -   Dark Ice Designs Short Shift Kit   -   Auto Mirror Mod   -   Interior LED Conversion   -   Nextbase 402 and 512 Dashcams

295bhp & 450nm of fun, but can still give 38mpg  :driving: 

#6 andreitc

andreitc

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo mk4
  • Name:Tudor Andrei

Posted 17 October 2020 - 02:07 PM

Yes, the joys of regular android unit that you buy from a good source meant for mondeo.

The android unit he bought, is old, bad canbus decoder and need to configure it.

You can enjoy your old useless unit, for sure.

OK, thanks for answers, I really wanted a cheap unit with android so that I can use waze and spotify without using my phone and looking at it for waze and stuffs. I thing I bought the cheapest unit, I didn't want to invest a lot in such a unit for this car, as it's price is not that big, and it does not feel like a good investment. 

So, please tell me if you have any idea how to configure it so that the commands will work.

Thanks!

Edited by andreitc, 17 October 2020 - 02:08 PM.

#7 Automatic1

Automatic1

Likes to chat

• Gold Member
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:50 PM

Yes, we told you already, go one by one option until it finally works.

There is no magic here, unless you will be waiting for years for someone with a unit like your to come and comment.

Take your time, go one by one option, try them all.

Question: the basic left wheel functions are working? if they do, stop playing and trying to configure it. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: steering, wheel, controls, steering wheel, android, navigation, steering wheel controls, wheel controls problem, canbus, software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users