Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Problem with filling up

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  PURPLE_2L_LX 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Right, fairly certain I know what the issue is but I'd like a 2nd opinion from anyone that's willing.

For a while now when trying to fill the fuel tank I've had issues with the pump switching off and, more annoyingly, a substantial quantity of fuel blowing back out the filler port.

I've just been out and pulled the pipe going from the fuel tank to the vapour canister (charcoal canister?) and then put some pressurised air in the tank. Not a lot, but it was enough to find a good strong airflow out of the hose. I reconnected the hose to the canister and unplugged the hose going up to the engine and repeated the test. Again, I had a good strong airflow coming out of the canister, and subsequently out the pipe in the engine bay that plugs on to the solenoid. I know the solenoid is working as I replaced it a few months ago thinking it was the cause of this problem.

Now, the last hose from the canister is the one that just goes to the atmosphere. Again, unplugged it and put some air in the tank. But this time the air coming out the canister was almost nonexistent.

So, my thoughts are the vapour canister is saturated and not letting the air vent from the tank meaning I need a new canister. Is this a reasonable assumption? I'm fairly certain the canister can't be cleaned out and it has no solenoid in it as there is no wiring to it.

Anyone before I chuck £100+ at this??? ????‍♀

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi

Not sure which model of Ford was affected, but I recall some members on this site having to drop tanks and replace vent pipes sandwiched between top of tank and floor of car.

Peter

#3 ·
That was my first worry, but having put some air in the fuel tank the vent pipe that goes to the canister is flowing freely.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Yeah, that's a diesel layout.

The Petrol setup has that vent pipe going to the vapour canister for emissions control.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Well having bit the bullet I have a brand new canister here.

Wood Bumper Table Gas Plant

Having got it here I tried blowing through the fuel tank vent port which resulted in a good gush of air out of the port that goes back to the engine. This matches the old cannister so I tried again but this time with the engine return port capped and got a very reassuring gush of air out of the atmospheric vent port, something I didn't get from the old tank.

So atm, it's fitted and looks like it might now be fixed, will only find out for 100% certain when I go to fill up the tank.

Attachments

Reactions: tellmah
#8 ·
Just to bring this to a close, it seems to be fixed. I can now fill the tank up in one go rather than having to stop after every £5-£7 or get covered in petrol.

Reactions: tellmah and TreborB
#9 ·
I didn't think such a part existed and why it is needed, but there you go. :)

#10 ·
It's purely for emissions, a lot of petrol cars also have a solenoid on the vent pipe which can fail closed causing the same fault I had, air can't leave the tank through the vent so it blows back out the filler along with the petrol your putting in.

From what I've found on t'internet though the charcoal filling only has a life span of 10-15years before it falls apart and clogs everything up. As mines 12.5years old that seems pretty accurate lol

#11 ·
When they mentioned the canisters I originally thought something the size of

an oil or fuel filter. Then see the size of the unit and thought where did they

hide that.

All part of 1/10th of a teaspoon of your petrol evaporating and escaping to the

atmosphere. Seems thats deadly and killing us all?

So vapour cannot escape but then the safety lobby said no fuel should escape

if you turn the car upside down also.

Smaller 3 cylinder engines size of an A4 sheet of paper did they say for the 1L?

Yet you find parts like that on the car. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.