Ford Automobiles Forum banner

2.3l Pet Auto wont start after moving vehicle onto road

512 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  PaulSt 
#1 ·
Hi , can anyone point me in the direction of the thread for this. I understand its quite common where you start the vehicle move a few yards and switch off. You try to start again but it wont catch and a sensor seems to tell the engine its flooded. I know to start the vehicle and leave it to go through its starting process but someone else in the family dosent and its happened again.

RAC came ou the only time its happened and tried to sell me a battery but upon further examination of the fault codes it seemed to be fuel related but for the life of me I cant remember what the fix was.

Was it disconnect battery......leave for 20mins reconnect then start.....I just cant remember

Ive tried to research but there is no clear fix

So far

Turnover and leave turning over for 45 secs to a min without depressing accelerator

Turnover with accelator fully depressed

Turnover slowly depressing acelerator

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,

Paul.

See less See more
#2 ·
As you know doing what was done is well known to give many vehs a problem.
Providing the battery is in tip top condition I normally find that giving it full wide open throttle and then turning the key and keep cranking until it fires up does the job.
Alternatively remove clean and dry out fuel soaked spark plugs

#3 ·
Turning over for 45 seconds? Do you mean cranking? Your likely to cause issues

doing that. Battery wont like it and you could buckle the plates internally.

The starter motor wont like it, you can cook it in half that time.

After being parked for a few hours it should clear if flooded, as per the previous

comment removing the plugs to dry them would be a better option.

My first instance of this issue was a Rover 800 with the 2.5L Honda engine. Exactly as

you said start and drive just a few feet and turn off and it didnt want to restart.

Little trick with that, you could reach the fuel cutoff and operate it manually, I used to use

that as an anti theft device. :)

When it would not restart i would disable the fuel pump by tripping the cutoff switch and

then crank for 5 seconds or so. Leave a minute or two and repeat. After 3 or 4 goes with

the cutoff active tripped i would reset it and it would always start.

Made sure to leave it running for a minute or so after that and not start and shut

it off instantly.

#4 ·
The correct way is to remove and clean/dry the spark plugs.
However my female neighbour moves her Focus petrol veh a couple of feet on average about once a month and it ends up a no goer.
After I told her what to do she now always used the full throttle and keep cranking method.

This has been going on for two years now and still no probs with starter or battery

#5 ·
Hi All, thank you for taking the time to reply and give me the benefit of your advice.

I left it overnight until midday then cranked with left foot on brake, right on accelerator full open and started within a second or 2.

I love my Mondeo and disowned the family member that moved it for lack of respect!

Thanks All!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.