Battery light - Electrical (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Battery light

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Poe1977

Poe1977

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ghia 25t
  • Name:paul h

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:33 AM

Hi new here, got a mondeo 2.5t petrol 2007, not had long, after 1 min of starting car battery light comes on and stays on,at first display played up, garage sent instrument cluster off and said wires behind amhad been messed with useally to hide somit, theu repaired the cluster put it right sent it back to garage or put it back together since battery light problem started,now ook it back garage they tested battery it was charged they said it was also charging so they say it is not the alternator, they then called in auto electrician who as responded with not worth doing cost to much, can any help, I know they say the battery is charged and is charging, but surley theres a answer to light staying on not just it will cost to much?

#2 mike4369

mike4369

Big Megger

• Members
  • 2995 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2014 C Max 1.6TDCi
  • Name:Mike

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:04 AM

You need to test voltages to fully prove the battery is getting charged properly.

Use a multi meter connected across battery terminals

With engine off meter should read 12.5 volts at least if battery is charged. Start engine and voltage shoud go up to 13+ volts, now switch on lights and heated screen and if alternator is good it should keep voltage above 12. The alternator is controlled by the engine control module and it send signal via the wires in small plug on alternator. You will need an auto electrician who knows his stuff.

As in this diagram

smart_charge.jpg

#3 TheAntman

TheAntman

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Sport
  • Name:Tony Ford

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:50 PM

POPULAR

Scan (or have your car scanned) for codes.

I occasionally get the battery light coming on, but it does so to indicate that there has been a problem detected in the Smart charge system. Seems to be a reasonably common issue too.

• Poe1977 likes this

#4 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 28556 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:01 PM

POPULAR

Do you have a test meter even a cheap sub £3 one or an OBD reader?

If so can you do this test    http://www.talkford....test-procedure/

Post the results for each step in this thread. 

Things to look at also, any mods to the car?  Additional lights, or lights changed to LED or a

towbar added, stereo changed etc.

• Poe1977 likes this

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#5 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1201 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4 Mondeo 2.5t
  • Name:Mark

Posted 25 September 2020 - 08:35 PM

POPULAR

I occasionally get the battery light coming on, but it does so to indicate that there has been a problem detected in the Smart charge system. Seems to be a reasonably common issue too.

As I found out a little while ago, the 2.5t doesn't use smart charge at all.
  • tellmah and Poe1977 like this

RamAir Pod Filter   -   Elevate FST225 Top Pipe   -   Airtec FMIC   -   Scorpion Downpipe   -    Scorpion Cat Back Exhaust   -   ECV Valve   -   RS DMF + Clutch Kit   -   Bluefin Stage 2

Bluetooth + USB mod   -   Convers Mod   -   NX Mod

Sports Rear Diffuser   -   Sports Top Front Grill   -   Sports Bottom Front Grill   -   Sports Fog Lights   -   Sport Pedal Covers   -   Dark Ice Designs Auto Lift Boot Struts   -   Dark Ice Designs Bonnet Rams   -   Dark Ice Designs Short Shift Kit   -   Auto Mirror Mod   -   Interior LED Conversion   -   Nextbase 402 and 512 Dashcams

295bhp & 450nm of fun, but can still give 38mpg  :driving: 

#6 TheAntman

TheAntman

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Sport
  • Name:Tony Ford

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:56 PM

POPULAR

As I found out a little while ago, the 2.5t doesn't use smart charge at all.

I was not aware of that, however, I would always scan for codes in the first instance.

Vehicles for the European market have been fitted with EOBD since 2001 (for Petrol, 2003 for Diesels). This is a standardised On-Board diagnostic system that is designed to help identify faults. I am still surprised at how many people still won't use the tools given to them.

It's not just here either. I also have a 1996 Pontiac Firebird. They've had On-Board diags for a lot longer than we have over here. In 1996, OBD2 became the mandatory standard (which is what EOBD is based on). Prior to that was OBD (or OBD1) which was a little more manufacturer specific.

I still see people in the States asking for help identifying a problem, either by describing it or posting a video when they'd find it a lot more useful plugging a code reader in.

They're pretty inexpensive these days too.

• Poe1977 likes this

#7 Poe1977

Poe1977

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:39 PM

Hi new here, got a mondeo 2.5t petrol 2007, not had long, after 1 min of starting car battery light comes on and stays on,at first display played up, garage sent instrument cluster off and said wires behind amhad been messed with useally to hide somit, theu repaired the cluster put it right sent it back to garage or put it back together since battery light problem started,now ook it back garage they tested battery it was charged they said it was also charging so they say it is not the alternator, they then called in auto electrician who as responded with not worth doing cost to much, can any help, I know they say the battery is charged and is charging, but surley theres a answer to light staying on not just it will cost to much?

#8 Poe1977

Poe1977

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:43 PM

HI, thankyou all for the reply, Mark who commented was correct no smart charge,there was though a blue wire going into a small socket near alternator a single blue wire, which was frayed, soon as this was cut and reconnected everything worked fine.I was looking at smart charge problems until I read no smart charge in this model.thanks everyone for replys

#9 Mark M

Mark M

TF regular

• Members
  • 1201 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4 Mondeo 2.5t
  • Name:Mark

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:35 AM

POPULAR

Love a simple fix, thanks for letting us know what the problem was 👍
  • mike4369 and stonekeeper like this

RamAir Pod Filter   -   Elevate FST225 Top Pipe   -   Airtec FMIC   -   Scorpion Downpipe   -    Scorpion Cat Back Exhaust   -   ECV Valve   -   RS DMF + Clutch Kit   -   Bluefin Stage 2

Bluetooth + USB mod   -   Convers Mod   -   NX Mod

Sports Rear Diffuser   -   Sports Top Front Grill   -   Sports Bottom Front Grill   -   Sports Fog Lights   -   Sport Pedal Covers   -   Dark Ice Designs Auto Lift Boot Struts   -   Dark Ice Designs Bonnet Rams   -   Dark Ice Designs Short Shift Kit   -   Auto Mirror Mod   -   Interior LED Conversion   -   Nextbase 402 and 512 Dashcams

295bhp & 450nm of fun, but can still give 38mpg  :driving: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users