Titanium X 2010 MK4 Electrical problem - Electrical (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Titanium X 2010 MK4 Electrical problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Maisie

Maisie

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Titanium X
  • Name:Maisie

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:24 PM

Hello
I have a Titanium X MK4 only had 47,500 when I bought it just over a month ago. We began having starting issues its keyless and after pressing the button to start ignition would come on but throw up all sorts of errors engine malfunction transmission malfunction, ESP Off and immobiliser active. Taking the battery off would reset but not the best solution had to do this a 3 times in the space of 3 weeks. The 4th time the car wouldn't start at all not even the battery reset helped. A friend out a code reader on there it said the car was not communicating with the ECU. We cleaned all the earth points on the car and this seemed to resolve the issue Ford removed all fault codes so only relevant new ones would be present. Car ran faultless for just over a week. Then my partner was driving home and the car stopped came up engine malfunction same issue not starting again. We are really loosing it with this car Ford say they cannot diagnose the issue unless its doing it at the time but without me being stranded and waiting 1 week to get the car in I am at a lose. Has anyone else had any issue like this previously would appreciate any advice.
Also just to mention battery was also replaced with a silver calcium genuine ford one when it first happened. Also ECU connections cleaned.
Thanks

#2 TreborB

TreborB

Powershifts Forever

• Members
  • 5066 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:30 PM

Hi,

I have asked the moderator to move this into the correct place - Mondeo Mk4 Electrical Section

More chance of an answer if in the correct section

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

#3 Speedlimit

Speedlimit

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2011 LX TDCi
  • Name:Reg Griffiths

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:19 AM

A bad connection to the GEM?

Or within the GEM itself?

The GEM can be tested  but it needs to be not working to fault it.

Heat and vibration might make an existing electrical fault to show only at times.

Maybe disconnect the battery and remove inspect the connectors to the GEM?

#4 Maisie

Maisie

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:48 PM

Hello

Thank you for your reply its funny you mention heat, it only seems to have these issues when it has been hot and sat in the heat all day.

My partner will take a look at this over the weekend.
Thank you again for your reply really appreciate it

Maisie

#5 TheAntman

TheAntman

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Sport
  • Name:Tony Ford

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:59 PM

Sounds to me like you're having intermittent connectivity between numerous modules which would perhaps indicate a possible wiring fault. Possibly corroding terminals. I've noticed a number of connectors on my car that have suffered with corrosion, such as the rear offside taillight on the hatch and the offside headlight.

#6 Maisie

Maisie

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:31 PM

Hello

Thanks for your responses we have checked numerous connections to sensors/earths and control units and have found no further corrosion. (Well as far as we can see) I have got some DTC codes but again these are all no comms and invalid data codes nothing obvious. At this point we are looking to talk to an auto electrician as the car will not drive for any amount of time now. The only other thing I was thinking was the instrument cluster I did read this can cause the same issues and was a common one but I thought it was early 2010 models.
Thanks
Maisie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users