2.0 TDCi: reluctant cold starting in mild weather - Ford Galaxy Forum - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

2.0 TDCi: reluctant cold starting in mild weather

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jonny

jonny

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Galaxy
  • Name:Jonny

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:37 PM

Hi all.

I bought my 2010 Galaxy 2.0 TDCi a few weeks ago. It's spent the past couple of weeks sitting mostly unused with an Oximiser automatic trickle charger connected, as we've had COVID symptoms in the house and been isolating whilst waiting to get tested (negative, fortunately). It's been started a couple of times in between (mostly moving it on/off the driveway so I could wash it!), but hasn't been driven anywhere.

I went to fire it up this afternoon to move it out of the way of another car and it wasn't keen to start. It took a few seconds of cranking to get started, and it chugged to life in a rather lumpy and reluctant fashion. Once running it seemed fine. 

Just wondering if there are any common issues with the Galaxy that can cause this? Seems odd given that the weather has been fairly mild, about 14 or 15 degrees C today, and that the battery has been on the trickle charger.

My first suspicion is the battery itself being weak (e.g. high internal resistance) - although the battery itself is only a year or so old. I connected a multimeter across the battery, set it to record minimum voltage and cranked the engine again. The voltage dropped from 12.5V down to a minimum of 9.3V, then back up to around 14V once running and charging via the alternator. 9.3V under cranking doesn't seem THAT low to me, but then I tend to think in terms of old cars with no electronics - my Capri, for example, would be perfectly happy with 9V under cranking as it has next to no electrical gubbins!

I've disconnected the battery from the car and put a smart charger on it in "repair" mode, where it pulse charges the battery to try and restore some of its performance. I'm hoping that this will be enough to improve the starting, but if not then I'm not entirely sure what my next steps should be...

As always any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users