MTX75 gearbox - Drivetrain (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

MTX75 gearbox

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 st tdci

st tdci

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2.0 Mk4.5 2011 Tit X
  • Name:Rob

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:07 PM

Hi,

2011 2.0 petrol with 5 speed MTX75 gearbox. 67k miles.

it’s quite difficult to get into 1st/reverse from cold, but the box quickly warms up and changes from then on in are very good.

I had the gearbox oil changed and the garage diagnosed that the gear change cables needed changing. So it was booked in for today and they changed their mind when stripping it down - saying that the cables were fine. So that saved a load of money.

The clutch bite point is quite high, so I’m now torn between changing the gearbox and replacing the clutch at the same time. 

Any thoughts / comments please?

Thanks - Rob

#2 stonekeeper

stonekeeper

TF regular

• Members
  • 664 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo titanium x
  • Name:Mark

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:24 PM

What happens if you put it in first or reverse and hold the clutch down before starting the engine?

(make sure nothing in front of car)

Edited by stonekeeper, 22 September 2020 - 06:33 PM.

#3 st tdci

st tdci

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:58 PM

The clutch has to be down to start the engine anyway, but I get your point ........

thanks

#4 TheAntman

TheAntman

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Sport
  • Name:Tony Ford

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:05 PM

Sounds to me like your clutch is not fully disengaging when you're putting your foot on the pedal so I would suggest that it could be a hydraulic issue - brake and clutch fluid.

Do you know when the brake / clutch fluid on your car was last changed?

Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time, which reduces its efficiency. I would suggest that you have yours checked.

(You can either have this done by a garage or you can pick up a fairly cheap tool to check it yourself).

I changed my fluid about a year ago when I replaced my brake hoses with braided lines and upgraded the brake discs.

#5 Communist

Communist

Mk3 4 LYFE

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2005 Mondeo 1.8
  • Name:Karl Marx

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:57 PM

My MTX75 box used to be a bit like this but changing the oil really helped, and mine had a similar mileage to yours. Now it shifts as nicely cold as it used to when warm, and when warm it's slicker than most new cars I've driven. All that sudden shock when letting up the clutch is gone too, which suprised me.

Do you know which oil they used? I used the genuine ford stuff. At £20 for 2l it wasn't super cheap, but it was worth it really. MTX75s can be a bit fussy with oil so I'm told, so I went with what I knew at least wouldn't do any harm.

Have you tried lubricating the cables?

On the Mk3 you can pull of the leather gaiter surround quite easilly and get access to the interior end of the shift cables. I'd be surprised if Mk4 wasn't similar. If you can spray some silicone lubricant down the cables and around the ball at the base of the shift lever that might help a bit. Probably wont be a complete cure but it's worth doing now and again. I do it every couple of years or so when I can remember or it starts feeling a bit rough.

Above is good advice too, if brake fluid hasn't been done in a long time then it's worth changing anyway even if it ends up making no difference to the clutch. It's not expensive and you dont need much of it. A £10 bottle will be enough.

Edited by Communist, 23 September 2020 - 05:57 PM.

#6 st tdci

st tdci

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I had the brake fluid changed as soon as I got the car - 3 months ago. Is the clutch fluid in the same system as the brake fluid? If so then it will have been changed also. I also had the gearbox oil changed at the same time, with no effect.

However, after a bit of Googling I came up with a mobile clutch guy who seems to know the MTX75 very well and was quite amenable to discussing the symptoms with me. His diagnosis was that it was the clutch on the way out - and gave me a nice easy way to prove it. Basically, with the engine off, just put it into 1st & reverse. It slipped in as easy as anything - his logic being that then proves the gearbox and cables are ok. The garage actually stopped doing a cable swap yesterday as they said the cables moved freely when disconnected from the box - so promptly put them back on - saving a lot of time and the cost of new cables. They only charged me for 1/2 an hour of labour.

He also suggested starting the car in gear (foot on clutch obviously) and/or selecting 3/4 initially and then moving to 1/R which will line things up a bit.

I think at the end of the day I’m faced with getting a new clutch fitted. It’s a 4 or 5 hour job - so I think I’m just going to have to stump up and take the hit.

He also said that it could last quite a while and would start slipping at some point - although the bite point is high and the overall operation of the clutch pedal is quite heavy. MUCH heavier than my XC60 manual which is my other car.

My mileage isn’t that great, so I’ll probably look to get it done in a month or so when funds permit. The irony is that the change 2/3/4/5 is excellent - as was putting it into 1/R with the engine off.

Ill keep you posted.

Cheers - Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users