How loud is the moosing noise? - Page 2 - V6 'Duratec' Petrol Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

How loud is the moosing noise?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 ancienttyres

ancienttyres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk3 v6 petrol

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:52 PM

POPULAR

Maybe I'm wrong then but it just seems illogical to me that the gasket can cause the noise at all because if the gasket was leaking that bad the air would be being sucked in through it and you'd probably hear a noise but it would surly be more like a vacuum leak as I said before, because the air entering the engine isn't passing through the actual valve and it's already established that the valve malfunctioning is what causes the noise.

I think a more likely explanation is whoever claimed the new gasket cured their moosing problem has cleaned their IACV once which didn't cure the problem, put it back on with the old gasket and found it still moosed, so took it off again, cleaned it a second time which did cure the problem but also replaced the gasket with a new one and when they found the moosing was gone, they assumed it was because of the new gasket and not because a second clean actually did the trick.

• Macmondy3L likes this

#12 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 3957 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.5l v6 2002
  • Name:Harry

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:22 PM

POPULAR

My genuine Ford icv valve never came with a new gasket,i used the old one

with a thin film off silicone on both sides of the gasket,been on 2yrs no problems.

• Macmondy3L likes this

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

#13 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12634 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:01 PM

POPULAR

Maybe I'm wrong then but it just seems illogical to me that the gasket can cause the noise at all because if the gasket was leaking that bad the air would be being sucked in through it and you'd probably hear a noise but it would surly be more like a vacuum leak as I said before, because the air entering the engine isn't passing through the actual valve and it's already established that the valve malfunctioning is what causes the noise.

I think a more likely explanation is whoever claimed the new gasket cured their moosing problem has cleaned their IACV once which didn't cure the problem, put it back on with the old gasket and found it still moosed, so took it off again, cleaned it a second time which did cure the problem but also replaced the gasket with a new one and when they found the moosing was gone, they assumed it was because of the new gasket and not because a second clean actually did the trick.

You may have not got what I typed :)

The IACV can be removed purely for painting or as part of a larger refurb. Re using the gasket can lead to moosing, which is then cured by fitting a new gasket.

The same applies for cleaning the IACV, it’s best to fit a new gasket.

When I refurbed my IACV the car was noisy until I fitted a new gasket........The refurb didn’t touch the inside, it was purely cosmetic.

E146B9D3-9AA2-4987-AAE7-A17F51C46E2E.jpeg

• Macmondy3L likes this
You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#14 ancienttyres

ancienttyres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk3 v6 petrol

Posted 29 September 2020 - 01:54 PM

POPULAR

I do get what you're saying. You say it was noisy, you replaced the gasket, the noise stopped. I'm just saying I don't see how the gasket alone cured your noise since the "woo woo woo woo" or a prolonged "wooooooo" noise at idle if it's really bad is the actual valve failing or failed. Then again I'm only speaking from experience of the Duratec 25, the ST220 obviously has a different air intake and inlet manifold design so manybe that has something to do with it

Fun fact as if it wasn't actually obvious from the nickname, but the noise is of course called moosing because it actually sounds like a bit like rutting moose:

https://www.youtube....h?v=x-2gCYaRvBo

Only the Duratec has a deeper voice apparently. Anyway not to worry I'm sure if the OP wants to try replacing the gasket first it'd be considerably cheaper than the valve so wouldn't hurt to try first.

• Macmondy3L likes this

#15 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12634 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 September 2020 - 03:27 PM

POPULAR

I do get what you're saying. You say it was noisy, you replaced the gasket, the noise stopped. I'm just saying I don't see how the gasket alone cured your noise since the "woo woo woo woo" or a prolonged "wooooooo" noise at idle if it's really bad is the actual valve failing or failed. Then again I'm only speaking from experience of the Duratec 25, the ST220 obviously has a different air intake and inlet manifold design so manybe that has something to do with it

Fun fact as if it wasn't actually obvious from the nickname, but the noise is of course called moosing because it actually sounds like a bit like rutting moose:

https://www.youtube....h?v=x-2gCYaRvBo

Only the Duratec has a deeper voice apparently. Anyway not to worry I'm sure if the OP wants to try replacing the gasket first it'd be considerably cheaper than the valve so wouldn't hurt to try first.

No, I wasn’t saying that :)

Im saying it wasn’t noisy. I removed and refitted the IACV as part of a refurb, but used the same gasket. It was then noisy. I fitted a new gasket and it was back to normal.

For various reasons lots of people remove the IACV and then suffer moosing.

This can be purely as part of a spruce up, to tart up or polish the UIM or to remove the UIM in order to change the plugs. 

• Macmondy3L likes this
You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#16 Steve_v6

Steve_v6

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 mondeo 2.5L v6
  • Name:Steve

Posted 02 October 2020 - 11:31 PM

POPULAR

My old 2001 2.5 used to suffer from moosing, the warbling kind and the funny looks I got from people was amusing ha ha.

I never bothered replacing any parts and just used to pull the iacv and blast it with carb cleaner and it would behave for a few months before needing it again.

My current 2002 2.5 has never done it, don't know if it will as the miles increase but its still only on 73,200 so fingers crossed it will behave for a bit more :)
  • Macmondy3L likes this

#17 markomate

markomate

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Titanium X
  • Name:Mark D

Posted 23 October 2020 - 09:58 AM

POPULAR

Thanks for all the advice!

Ive got a new ICV, fitting it this weekend, should sort it!

Ill make sure the gasket is ok or just make a new one.

The cars got all kinds of other issues, like probably running on 4 cylinders, very loose front suspension etc etc!

So I may be back for more help!

• raynkar and mondy zetecs like this

#18 markomate

markomate

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Titanium X
  • Name:Mark D

Posted 28 October 2020 - 06:25 AM

POPULAR

Quick update

New ICV fitted , the Moose has left the building!

Very happy owner, she had been told all sorts of things like, "they all do it", "Its because its cold" etc!

Thanks for the help!

• raynkar and mondy zetecs like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users