private/irish plate removal? how to? and what cost? - Page 2 - General Car Talk - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

private/irish plate removal? how to? and what cost?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 stonekeeper

stonekeeper

TF regular

• Members
  • 648 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo titanium x
  • Name:Mark

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:19 PM

POPULAR

If they have only just done the purchase they will only have the V5C so might have to wait for the Document to come back in their name before sorting it out.

DVLA phone system is still affected by Covid secure offices I think, and it was always difficult before that.

What about Webchat?

They could try talking to the Insurance company and pre warn them that the number is temporary and will change within a month. If they make a note on the file they may waive the second fee?

My company (Hastings) allowed that last time i changed my car then swapped my plate over.

• turbopete1 likes this

#12 stonekeeper

stonekeeper

TF regular

• Members
  • 648 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo titanium x
  • Name:Mark

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:23 PM

POPULAR

Found this now

New registrations fee

You’ll have to pay a fee of £55 if you’re registering and taxing a vehicle for the first time with DVLA.

You can pay by cheque or postal order. You cannot send cash. Damaged or altered cheques will not be accepted.

You do not have to pay for some vehicles, including:

• those first registered and licensed in the disabled exempt taxation class
  • historic vehicles previously registered with the old local authorities (late conversions)
  • vehicles previously registered in Northern Ireland
  • imported vehicles previously registered under the personal export scheme and new means of transport scheme
  • visiting forces vehicles
  • vehicles registered under the direct export scheme
  • vehicles registered for off-road use only
  • crown exempt vehicles

https://www.gov.uk/v...gistrations-fee

https://www.gov.uk/g...first-time-v555

Although that sounds cheaper it looks a lot more complicated because NI vehicles and registrations are perfectly legal and acceptable in England.

I will keep digging to check it would be allocated an "English" number.

i believe its been taxed here before in some form or other (possibly disabled tax) but not on a mainland UK plate. not sure if that makes a difference? ive seen that page but thats the confusing part

Personally if i had the V5 back in my name and address i would ring swansea and ask what kind of number would be allocated then do the £80 putting it on retention option on-line and see what happened with the allocation of a new number.

Then put the retention certificate  up for sale to see how much of my £80 i could get back off someone who wanted to hide the age of their car. If it's a 2017 reg though i think it has to go on a car that age or newer.

its a 2017 reg they WANT. they want rid of the WUI xxxx plate thats on the car now. as regards V5, the deal was just done earlier today, car isnt collected until monday. you would think Garage wuld be able to sort it out, even if they charged a small fee, but apparently not. im told they have said they MIGHT be able to HELP, but cant guarantee it!

I think the W refers to age or a series of vehicles W1 to W9999 Oct 2016 to Aug 2018 then they changed to X  the UI is Derry which goes between the W and the number

Edited by stonekeeper, 15 September 2020 - 08:38 PM.

• turbopete1 likes this

#13 turbopete1

turbopete1

TF regular

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mk4 mondeo zetec
  • Name:Peter

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:36 PM

POPULAR

If they have only just done the purchase they will only have the V5C so might have to wait for the Document to come back in their name before sorting it out.

DVLA phone system is still affected by Covid secure offices I think, and it was always difficult before that.

What about Webchat?

They could try talking to the Insurance company and pre warn them that the number is temporary and will change within a month. If they make a note on the file they may waive the second fee?

My company (Hastings) allowed that last time i changed my car then swapped my plate over.

have already pre warned insurance (also hastings i believe) who said they will change for free within 6 weeks, after that they charge. it could take more than 6 weeks to get full v5 back. ill try phone/webchat tomorrow. i prefer not using webchat purely because they tend to just hand out generic replies in a cut/paste manner rather than dedicated advice but i will give it a try also.

• stonekeeper likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users