ECU compatibility and interchangeability - Electrical (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

ECU compatibility and interchangeability

ecu 8awa 8awb 8awc

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kacey

kacey

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:32 PM

(please only reply if you are certain)

My early 2005 Mondeo 2lt petrol Duratec has an ECU with the codes

8awB, 4S71-12A650-RΒ and LBO-113

on other identical Mondeo mk3 2lt petrol you can find ECU with codes 8awA and 4S71-12A650-RA, or 8awC and 4S71-12A650-RC, but all of these have LBO-113 on them. other ECUs with the first two codes totally different, also have a different LBO-xxx.

Does anyone know for sure if the 8awA/B/C (and 4S71-12A650-RA/B/C) are interchangeable between them, or if maybe the "C" one is backwards compatible?

From what i understand, they are since the LBO-113 is the same. The last letter changing supposedly is different batches. I have seen the exact same thing in my fuel pump, used to have "B" and now have "C".

Attached Thumbnails

• mondeo ecu.jpg

#2 kacey

kacey

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:59 PM

Anyone, please?

#3 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12597 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:00 PM

When you say identical do you mean exact same year of manufacture, engine type, body shape  and trim level?

As a simple example, a 2006 ECU may support voice commands and variable intermittent screen wiping, whereas a 2004 ECU wouldn’t.

Or, a saloon ECU wouldn’t support a rear screen wiper, but hatch and estate ECU’s would do.

It might help you to google ‘Ford engineering numbers’ to help you decode what each letter or number in the engineering number means.

Edited by raynkar, 21 September 2020 - 05:00 PM.

You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#4 kacey

kacey

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:26 PM

I get what you say, but I am pretty sure that the engine ECU I am talking about, does not control these functions (probably controlled by the GEM). But no, not identical in every way, I mean two 2lt petrol Mondeos of 2005 manufacture.

I got an answer from a UK dismantler selling these that it would be backwards compatible. He is actually selling an RB ecu and saying that it fits cars with RA, so I asked him a question about RC ---> RB and/or RA.

#5 Communist

Communist

Mk3 4 LYFE

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2005 Mondeo 1.8
  • Name:Karl Marx

Posted 23 September 2020 - 07:04 PM

I don't have access to the ford internal doccumentation on these, but you can access a lot of this stuff on ETIS, but you've got to pay for it and it's a bit dear. Some day I intend to grab what I can off there.

The last letters in the engineering number are (allegedly) minor revisions. Usually the point of revisions are that they shouldn't break compatibility. Otherwise it deserves a different part number. The first digit is the year of introduction (in this case 2004, and the second two are the model, where S7 = Mondeo.

I'd try it, especially if you can't find any alternatives that are closer. I can't see it being so different that it wouldn't at least run. Plenty of people run 2l engines on 1.8 ECUs, so from that point of view you should be ok.

If you can find the vin of your car and the vin of the donor, then that would be useful, could try and work out any parts differences that occured between the build dates.

Edited by Communist, 23 September 2020 - 07:06 PM.

#6 kacey

kacey

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 03:49 PM

I have both VINs, apparently the donor car came with "manual" aircon whereas mine came with "electronic". Didn't know that post-2004 Mondeos had a manual aircon. That being that, I still think that aircon is controlled by different ecu (GEM instead of engine ecu). so don't know if that would be a problem.

#7 kacey

kacey

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 04:03 PM

And even if my aircon doesn't work with the ECU from a manual aircon car, would the rest of the car (ie the engine, the actual driving of the car) work?

I am looking for a replacement ECU to rule out or confirm the ECU's culpability for an intermittent "lean fuel micture fault" that persists for years now, so I am willing to buy the cheap later ECU to test this, even if for a few days I don't have aircon or other "cabin" functions.

#8 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 28556 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:55 PM

Unlikely for the ECU to cause a lean mixture. It will only react to the input from the

various sensors.

You need to check the lambda readings are they reporting a lean mixture?  Are they

always lean or rich at a cold start that leans out when the engine gets hotter?

Sudden switch from rich to lean or a gradual fade?

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#9 kacey

kacey

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:36 PM

Lambdas, fuel pump, injectors, EGR, fuel filter, MAP sensor, TPS sensor, all changed with new and genuine items. Lambda sens. works as it should, going from 0.1 to 0.9 in a square wave form in Forscan. No change.

My own ECU was repaired a few years back due to a high idle AND because it was reading the MAP sensor wrong, causing the car to be undriveable due to wrong mixture.

Shortly after that the lean mixture problem appeared. It happens erratically (not in specific conditions but whenever it feels like it, so cannot monitor and figure out if something specific is causing it) but certainly everytime I drive the car. More than once, in the motorway the car suddenly wont pull past 90, and two miles later it will happily pull to its max vel. of 125+ mph, just like that.

Edited by kacey, 01 October 2020 - 12:37 PM.

#10 Communist

Communist

Mk3 4 LYFE

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2005 Mondeo 1.8
  • Name:Karl Marx

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:40 PM

Your climate control will not be affected.

My car originally had the manual controls the same as the donor car would have done. It now has full climate control. All I needed to do was swap the controls in the centre console, add the fan/sensor thing in the bottom of the dash, and the sun load sensor in the top. All the wiring is already in place for these things. No need to touch the ECU or GEM. Just like how there is wiring for footwell lights even if the car left the factory with no bulbs in there!

The "Manual" air con that ford are refering to isn't the 3 dials type like the early cars. On the facelift cars it's a module that looks just like the climate control one, but it won't set maintain a tempreture for you. Instead you control the fan speed and level of heat by holding down buttons. It's very anonying to use because if you need to go between hot and cold you have to hold the button down for about 10 seconds.

The way to tell them apart is manual controls have an ON button, while automatic climate control has AUTO instead.

Edited by Communist, 01 October 2020 - 10:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users