Installed new heater blower resistor on MK1 focus but air from fan smells of fumes - Electrical (Focus Mk1) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Installed new heater blower resistor on MK1 focus but air from fan smells of fumes

heat fan mk1 resistor blower fumes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mixer28

mixer28

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus 1.6

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:21 PM

I replaced the motor blower heat resistor on my focus mk1 focus last week.

This got the fan working again on all its settings, and the AC button lit up again.

I replaced the pollen/ cabin filter too.

I thought all was good  - however, now on the lower fan settings there is a fume-like burning smell coming through the heater vents a few minutes after the fan is on. 

But if I switch it to the max/ top setting it seems to stop the burning smell (I'm assuming that is a different circuit as the max setting always worked before the resistor was replaced).

The air con probably is empty, but that shouldn't give off a burning smell when its not engaged right?

Any idea what the issue might be?

Thanks!

Edited by mixer28, 10 September 2020 - 09:25 PM.

#2 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 3918 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.5l v6 2002
  • Name:Harry

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:21 PM

POPULAR

Had similar on 2002 Focus 1.6,could be the new resistor heating up and probably 

smell will stop after using it a few times.

Also after a year or so of using new resistor i had sizzling and burnt electrical smoke

coming from passenger vent,never happened again next time i used it and all 4 settings

worked fine. 

• mixer28 likes this

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

#3 mixer28

mixer28

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus 1.6

Posted 11 September 2020 - 11:35 PM

Thanks.

The smell is a bit toxic - so just wondered if there was anything else it could be?

I didn't want to burn it out after just putting it in  :biggrin:  

Had similar on 2002 Focus 1.6,could be the new resistor heating up and probably 

smell will stop after using it a few times.

Also after a year or so of using new resistor i had sizzling and burnt electrical smoke

coming from passenger vent,never happened again next time i used it and all 4 settings

worked fine. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heat, fan, mk1, resistor, blower, fumes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users