Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Duratec Swirl Flaps

809 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Communist 
#1 ·
Currently in the market for a 2.0 petrol MK4 Mondeo and would be keen to hear from more knowledgeable people than I am about how much of an issue the swirl flaps can be? Is there a model year when the engine had these sorted out and are not an issue? Looking to potentially buy one from around 2011 are these engines still prone to issues in this model year? If I went for an end of line 2014 model is that assured that the issue is no longer a risk?

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
It was more of an issue on the Mk3, especially before 2003. They kept changing the design afterwards and it became less and less of a problem. It's not a common issue on the Mk4, but there aren't many petrol Mk4s around, as I'm sure you've noticed.

On a Mk4 I wouldn't worry too much unless it's high mileage or you can hear something rattling. I removed the flaps on my 2005 Mk3 at 70,000 miles just because I had the manifold off, and there was no wear noticable at all. I could have put them back in, but the car runs just fine without them, and "If they're not on the menu, they can't be eaten".

Removing them was quite an straightforward job on the Mk3. I wouldnt have thought the Mk4 would be much harder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.