Help please! So many error codes:( - Diesel Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Help please! So many error codes:(

ecu codes body control module esp

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 moondeo1

moondeo1

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo mk 4
  • Name:Moondeo man

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:19 AM

Hi.
Please help, and thankyou for reading.
Quick overview: I bought a 2010/2011 Tdci 2.0l mondeo in Australia. I've only done about 2000km and it's given nothing but issues.
Please help give thoughts what could be the actual cause:
I have multiple dash lights, and using forscan, multiple error codes i will cover below. I am almost inclined to think either many small issues, a wiring issue/issues, or, bad electronics as if it got driven into water and fried some electrics. :(

Straight after i bought it i got all brakes done straight away (rotors and disks).  Then, within small amount of km, i got occasional ESP warning light and shunting loss of power/car jerks as if traction control kicks in, car tire mark dash light.
Turning Car off/On would seemingly fix it. Came and went for about 500km.

Then at about 1400km dash warning light came and went.
Got forscan...codes....
Incorrect conditions for DPF regeneration
Lost communication with body control module

(Occasional error message) relating to communications to steering wheel sensor angle

And occasional error message relating to ABS module/sensor.

And, a fuel pressure High warning error.

Car also becoming harder to start (taking longer to crank).

Then dash check engine light came on, and major loss of power all the time.

I read up on the DPF, and read about blockages, the car has done 180,000km, and issues with DPF vaporizer. Forscan showed soot/loading levels around 250%.

So i booked to garage, asked they do fuel filter, oil change/filter, and a dpf static regen. They said all done.

3km from leaving garage, check engine light, major loss of power.

(Maybe) solved so far:
It seems the check engine light mainly came on for the DPF soot accumulation, and forced limp mode hence loss of power.

I removed dpf vaporizer, all looks good, and cleaned DPF. Soot and load levels down to about 170%.

Now, i also get Low fuel pressure error, and fuel leak at the back of car from the fuel filter from where the shop maybe did a poor job.
Also, much harder to start, likely due to air in fuel line due to fuel leak at filter due to filter change done poorly by shop..

Where i am at now:  
I intend to change fuel filter housing with one from a wrecker, hopefully fix fuel leak at filter housing. And, change out ABS wheel sensors on each wheel.

One concern, on two test runs, engine check light came on, and slowly engine just ran down and died. Starting up started okay and seems mostly okay. I think maybe due to loss of fuel pressure due to the leak.

I wish i knew what was happening with the electrics, especially the ABS/ESP light, having it cut power and basically jerk the car is a massive safety issue such as if crossing traffic. 

Please give any thoughts, seems like never ending issues 1 after the other, wish i never bought this car, i have never experienced so many individual faults.

Thanks

#2 mike4369

mike4369

Big Megger

• Members
  • 2981 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2014 C Max 1.6TDCi
  • Name:Mike

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:46 AM

One concern, on two test runs, engine check light came on, and slowly engine just ran down and died.

At which point I would have walked away. Sounds like whoever sold it was glad to get shot of it - a true lemon. I'm afraid you are in for an expensive time. You could try the standard system reset by disconnedcting the battery negative lead for 10mins.  Best of luck.

Edited by mike4369, 31 July 2020 - 10:49 AM.

#3 moondeo1

moondeo1

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:08 AM

One concern, on two test runs, engine check light came on, and slowly engine just ran down and died.

At which point I would have walked away. Sounds like whoever sold it was glad to get shot of it - a true lemon. I'm afraid you are in for an expensive time. You could try the standard system reset by disconnedcting the battery negative lead for 10mins.  Best of luck.

I actually have done about 1500km before getting it serviced where they did the fuel filter/oil change, and dpf static regen. And it's leaking diesel at the fuel filter since then.
Before taking it to the mechanic, i never had the engine shut down issue, so i'm genuinely hoping it's related to a fuel pressure issue from the fuel leak, since i've only done about 50km since and had the engine shutdown issue twice.
I'm going to try changing the fuel filter housing as i read they can crack over time and start to leak.
From what i can tell, until i got the DPF blockage issue, really the only identifiable problem was this occasional ESP traction problem, which whilst frustrating, didn't seem to be a massive issue, and more of an gross inconvenience.

#4 Rekusu

Rekusu

Megger

• Members
  • 1924 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo, TDCI

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:54 AM

POPULAR

How can a DPF have a 250% or even 170% soot level load?  Surely 100% is full; any more and it still full.

• mike4369 likes this
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what it's all about?

#5 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 28478 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:09 PM

How can a DPF have a 250% or even 170% soot level load?  Surely 100% is full; any more and it still full.

You would think so but using Forscan the max is 300%   ???

Maybe there is a reason why the app designer didnt just give a  soot load = soot / 3  ?

Mine only attempts its first regen at 80% which wouldn't leave much headroom for failed

regens. Shorter regens at 50% would be better and leaving plenty of headroom for those

journeys where a regen is not possible.

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#6 Speedlimit

Speedlimit

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2011 LX TDCi
  • Name:Reg Griffiths

Posted 03 August 2020 - 12:10 AM

300% would be 3 times a normal acceptable value which is called 100%.

In other words the acceptable value may be only 5% full. 5% would then be considered 100% of allowable loading.

Of course the acceptable value could not be 100% blocked.

There are two values calculated, the closed loop value and the open loop value.

The open loop value is calculated using data such as operating time, engine load etc.

The closed loop value is calculated from the differential pessure sensor readings.

Too great a disparity between these values would indicate a problem with the system.

#7 moondeo1

moondeo1

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 05:33 AM

Either way, i think loosely i have ruled out, or temporarily solved the DPF issue.
I did another short easy run around the block, and got no check engine like or ESP faults. I ran datalogger mode on abs sensors, steering angle sensor and wheel speed. All 4 wheel speed sensors stayed uniform, no variation, and the steering angle sensor looked pretty happy.
The more i think about it, i often got the ESP light under moderate acceleration.
I will swap out the diesel fuel filter housing to fix the clear leaking issue, then hopefully reassess. I'm starting to think the esp light is an engine fault rather than with the ABS, and unless i can get the esp light to come on whilst doing data logging i am leaning towards that the esp light is not triggered by a wheel speed sensor.
Other options that seem relevant for the esp light are crank angle sensor, and MAF sensor, but i am not sure how to diagnose those with a datalogger for what i would be really looking for.

#8 SteveyG

SteveyG

Clever cloggs

• Members
  • 1544 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk4.5 TXS 2.2
  • Name:Steve

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:34 AM

POPULAR

Just sort one issue at a time. From what I'm reading, fuel starvation and aeration of the fuel is the main issue here. This will also cause unsuccessful DPF regens because it won't be possible to maintain the DPF temperature correctly.

ESP light may be related to an ABS sensor, but I would look at this once everything else is sorted. Don't be overwhelmed by the error codes - generally many will occur as a result of a common failure.

First step, sort the fuel filter and vacuum bleed the fuel system.

• Bandit51 likes this

#9 Bandit51

Bandit51

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ford
  • Name:Steven

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:04 PM

POPULAR

Hi, bang on Mr G I think from reading the thread the original problem was a blocked filter but the garage has managed to turn that into a low pressure problem and as you pointed out any fuel/air problem will inhibit the cars ability to regenerate.

With regard to the ESP this normally comes on when the car is struggling or about to go into limp mode, this is a failsafe strategy to limit the strain on an already power starved engine by not applying the brakes during cornering etc, this should cure itself once you have solved the fuel issue.

The rear mounted fuel filter has always been a problem as it is to close to the tank and sucks in crud from the tank so the filters tend to block more quickly, Ford also noticed this which is why they moved the filter housing to the front of the engine, if you think about it why spend more money on a nice aluminium filter housing if the cheap and nasty rear mounted plastic housing wasn't a problem.

• SteveyG likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ecu codes, body control module, esp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users