Splitter - Interior / Exterior (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Splitter

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 jack s

jack s

Mosquito

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.2 tdci
  • Name:Jack

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:27 AM

Have now attached the triple r splitter to my ghia x, giving it a 3 to 6 degree downward angle from the horizontal. (Some fettling involved !).

It will be colour coded and then a grill will be attached to the opening.

It’s a waste of effort if you allow the air to flow through the opening when it should be closed. Being closed helps to create a high pressure zone, that aids the downward pressure of the splitter.

On this point, I am going to compromise .The air will be deflected upwards and help cool the engine bay and still help the downward pressure.

Hope this makes sense, it’s been a long day and I’ve had a few deserved drinks !

#2 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 28192 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:02 AM

POPULAR

The problem with nature and especially the wind, it has its own ideas on which direction

it wishes to go.  :)

When I was younger and reading Vizards tuning the A series engine it was mind blowing

when he said an exhaust can produce more power than a straight open pipe. But exhausts

were restrictive bottlenecks that wasted power.

Reducing the inlet tract can increase torque and give better fuel economy with zero

power loss. You just needed the correct radius on the inlet.  But bigger is better

is it not?

Much too lazy for all that tinkering now, just want to get in and drive it. Real shame the

MK3 missed out on the aftermarket products to a large extent.

Didnt stop quite a few members on here modifying stuff from other vehicles. Laguna

spoilers and sunshades?  Bumper trims from Honda's?

Replace the drivers grab handle with a sunglasses holder from a C-Max?

Been a while, I have forgotten a lot of the stuff that went on here over the years.

• Macmondy3L likes this

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#3 Macmondy3L

Macmondy3L

TF regular

• Members
  • 1317 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:34 AM

The problem with nature and especially the wind, it has its own ideas on which direction
it wishes to go. :)

When I was younger and reading Vizards tuning the A series engine it was mind blowing
when he said an exhaust can produce more power than a straight open pipe. But exhausts
were restrictive bottlenecks that wasted power.

Reducing the inlet tract can increase torque and give better fuel economy with zero
power loss. You just needed the correct radius on the inlet. But bigger is better
is it not?

Much too lazy for all that tinkering now, just want to get in and drive it. Real shame the
MK3 missed out on the aftermarket products to a large extent.

Didnt stop quite a few members on here modifying stuff from other vehicles. Laguna
spoilers and sunshades? Bumper trims from Honda's?

Replace the drivers grab handle with a sunglasses holder from a C-Max?

Been a while, I have forgotten a lot of the stuff that went on here over the years.

Im going to fit an ironing board to the de-laquared boot shelf on my rover 400,hoping to get 70mpg and 150+mph,been told i'm a good old w**k*r..

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

#4 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12375 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:06 AM

Have now attached the triple r splitter to my ghia x, giving it a 3 to 6 degree downward angle from the horizontal. (Some fettling involved !).

It will be colour coded and then a grill will be attached to the opening.

It’s a waste of effort if you allow the air to flow through the opening when it should be closed. Being closed helps to create a high pressure zone, that aids the downward pressure of the splitter.

On this point, I am going to compromise .The air will be deflected upwards and help cool the engine bay and still help the downward pressure.

Hope this makes sense, it’s been a long day and I’ve had a few deserved drinks !

To take the subject seriously :)

It’s good that you have managed to get the splitter to face downwards. Be sure to give the front bumper some extra fixings to give it extra rigidity.

I wouldn’t worry too much about what effect the spoiler will have on increased pressure or reduced pressure as you won’t be able to test the results.

You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#5 jack s

jack s

Mosquito

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:17 AM

POPULAR

Hi w**k*r..

I think your ironing board idea is a good one.

Keep at it.

My advice regarding the de- lacquered ( spelt correctly to help you improve your use of the English language)
boot shelf is to re-lacquer it, to improve air flow.

Hope this helps you old w**k*r

Best regards.
  • Macmondy3L likes this

#6 Macmondy3L

Macmondy3L

TF regular

• Members
  • 1317 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:45 PM

Sorry for the previous post,it was selfish and unthinking of me..but to be honest i've seen some right abortions when it come's to modding the mk3...(ryancar .. being the exception:-, )
The only mod or item i thought was geniunley missing from my mk3...a little boot lip spoiler that came standard on the st220...that's it...Very good looking car to begin with..
If i needed to replace my mk3,i would probably get another mk3..a totally standard,unmolested grandad example,
Not to many left now..
I have spotted about half a dozen mk3s on the wirral,2 are silver the other's all black,of the black one's 1 lx..1 ghia...and 2 black diesel st mondog's...both had been modded untastefully and the one fitted with the splitter looked the worse off..seemingly being run into the ground by it's present owner..such a waste..
If our road's were'nt the pot holed old pony and cart track's that they are i would maybe of considered lowering the mondog,not as low as the st but say 20mm,and that would be that...but i've now got attached to it's slightly rakish look on it's standard set up...
The mk3 is still very competant, if i'm right is it now actually 20 year's old..the earliest one i've seen is a tddi on a y plate,sure it was the tddi..bullet proof engine...
Anyhow enough of my rambling, hope your are all ok fella's during this extremley BOGUS time....
Des...

#7 Macmondy3L

Macmondy3L

TF regular

• Members
  • 1317 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:50 PM

Oh yes..you will have to forgive me for my awful grammer....you see i'm fresh in off the boat man, me only talk Pidgeon, which i have probably mispppelt ..
Have a good one fella...

#8 jack s

jack s

Mosquito

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:36 PM

POPULAR

Hi des,

No worries mate.

With all that’s going etc, just wanted to keep busy and do something.

The Mondy has an absolute brilliant work horse for me and decided it was time to give it some pay back in kind.

Started refurbishing the wheels, tidying up the body etc and it became kind of a project.

Started to read forums and was in awe at what other people were doing and their knowledge, people like Raynkar, Purple and ST to name but a few.

I’m going to keep the Mondy and slowly refurb it, hopefully tastefully, not with stripes, bulging wheel arches etc.

Just with a few mods that actually do something, refurb the chassis, the list goes on.

Hopefully, with people like us, the Mondeo mk3 will live on a few more years...

Jack.
  • Macmondy3L likes this

#9 jack s

jack s

Mosquito

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:30 PM

POPULAR

Blimey Purple, your going back a bit !

I cut my teeth on the A series, brilliant engine. Spent many an hour grinding in valves and having a go at porting, not really knowing what I was really doing, but recognising the advantages and the efficiency of gas flowing.

I could go on and bore you, but I won’t !
  • Macmondy3L likes this

#10 Macmondy3L

Macmondy3L

TF regular

• Members
  • 1317 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:00 PM

How old are we Purple...dont say fella..
My first 'honest to god's' car...1981..a xmass gift of my dad..used to use the old,'semi derelict at the time' Birkenhead dockland,all the little road's and entry way's were cobbled and very intresting in the wet.
998cc i think..lively little motor and easy to work on,i even had lw&mw radio that had ivory coloured switches&knobs..ha knobs..
Ended up owning 3 by the 90's..
Great little engine..6574e6b988c2fd275e5ac165194eeb5e.jpg

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users