Advice updating 2ltr Estate - Page 4 - Mondeo Mk4 General Discussion - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Advice updating 2ltr Estate

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 TheAntman

TheAntman

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Sport
  • Name:Tony Ford

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:31 AM

Did notice all references I have seen to 2Ltr Ecoboost seem to be Autobox which is not a preference, will check Autotrader and couple of Auction sites, but choice has to be Titanium as minimum.

Did look at parkers site last night but had give up due to kept nodding off.

What is it with people not liking Autos?  :o

My 'other' car, a yank, that I've owned for 18 years now, has a proper, conventional automatic gearbox and I absolutely love it. It was my first auto, but I much prefer it over a manual now - and before anyone comments on my driving skill and experience, I passed my IAM advanced driving test in 1996.

My dad, a retired Ford employee, was still getting a company car up until very recently when he decided he no longer wanted it, as he has now gone Hybrid and bought my Brothers Prius from him.

My Dad has been having powershift transmissions for years and I've driven most of them and I have to say, they're a very nice transmission. I had a Toyota Yaris for a while, that I inherited, that had one of these semi auto transmissions (actually, was more like a manual box with automatic actuators) and that was bloody awful. When cold, it behaved as if a learner driver was behind the wheel, or, as I liked to describe it, Kangaroo mode. Very jerky shifts, but the Ford units are incredibly smooth.

I think that a lot of people are in for a massive reality check when petrol and diesel vehicles are eventually replaced with electric vehicles, as they have no transmissions.

I remember years ago, before I got the Firebird, when I had a Ford Probe, my daily commute to Watford was awful, sitting in traffic on the M25 and getting plenty of left leg exercise up and down on the clutch. Not a problem in an automatic.

Don't hate on Autos.  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin: 

Maybe consider taking a test drive in one before dismissing it outright. 

#32 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 29176 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 26 January 2021 - 06:02 PM

No problems when they are new and under warranty, its what happens when they

are 5 or 10 years old and they used plastic carriers which are starting to break up.

Thats when people tend to shy away from them, who wants to spend £2000 or £3000

repairing a gearbox on a car that cost around that to buy?

Its not about not liking auto's its about some that have problems that manifest themselves

at certain ages or mileages, especially if thats the age/mileage that you buy cars at.

If new and you sell at 3 years old or when the warranty runs out then your unlikely to

see any problems.

Had manuals and auto's and yeah an auto is more relaxing to drive, sitting in heavy traffic

every day did have me thinking should I swap for an auto.

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#33 almond

almond

• Members
  • 695 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.0 Estate
  • Name:Alan

Posted 27 January 2021 - 02:42 PM

My experience is with caravanning with a BMW 5 series which never seemed to be in the right gear on hills

2010 (59) Mondeo Titanium Estate 2.0 Petrol Chill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users