£550 2.0 petrol Ghia X Saloon - Car Diaries - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

£550 2.0 petrol Ghia X Saloon

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ffoy

ffoy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mistral 2004
  • Name:Graham Foy

Posted 19 May 2020 - 09:30 PM

POPULAR

I really shouldn't start another Car Diary lol but hey I can't really post about the 2.0 on the Mistral thread so here goes...

I'll mb explain later but basically today I replaced a snapped rear spring on it and learned 2 things on the way:

• you can't replace the rear-leg if the other wheel is on the ground as the anti-roll bar will be under too much tension to connect the drop-link on the dismantled side
  • best way to get spring back on (with my compressor) is to sit the strut on the spring-platform, not the (lower) bracket 

eM7QoOf.jpg

Z5SIB15.jpg

O/S/R leg removed to replace snapped spring 

1zxUJ7D.jpg

fkO9ozD.jpg

1st attempt with strut-bracket facing inwards rod is too kinked to go through spring

dPNJ95E.jpg

strut turned 90 degrees to see if any better 

9fy92yI.jpg

same issue 

YnAYZnK.jpg

eInfIJb.jpg

3rd attempt not really safe as unable to put on clamp to secure leg to compressor

8PO42x4.jpg

but it worked much better

gT4XrZT.jpg

job done  

• mondy zetecs and Macmondy3L like this

#2 ffoy

ffoy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:06 PM

Ok. So anyone who has read my other thread in Car Diaries will be familiar with the flavour of it.

This car is pretty good so far but there are a few things doing my tits in about it and MOT time in November will be here before I know it so it's time to sort them.

I bought the car off a mate who only had it for a short time (looong story) and he'd treated it to a pair of used Continental tires up-front. He got wrong size (205/55/17 instead of 205/50/17) but that's not the problem. One is almost bald/illegal on the outer edge already and it's probably because there is a bad wobble on that side. Can't feel where it is coming from when I jacked car up and took wheel off but it may be due to a worn CV joint as that is clicking badly under full-lock .

Anyway I'm sure I read there are several different driveshafts used on the Mondeo and some are hollow and some aren't and it's all a bit of a pain so I'm hoping to just change to offending joint(s) as I have a used shaft that I bought about 5 years ago.

So today I took the joints off it. I've done this before on various cars and came across different types of retaining systems but this was the simple type where you can knock the joint off over a clip that sits on the shaft.

The inner spider is a better design than others I've seen as the needle-bearings on the 3 'wheels' are sealed so the things don't fall apart when you disturb them. You also don't need to remove the tripod from the shaft to get the wheels. They just lift off but it's prob best to keep them on the original bits due to the engineering practise of well you know what I mean with pistons and that

2nd thing doing my nut in is that the glass on the driver's mirror is sort of hanging off.

3rd thing is a leaking rim so am constantly pumping up the O/S/F tire - which is the one that's going bald.

gBtvFeN.jpg

boot disconnected from outer CV joint shows no circlip above so...

1PqfYXR.jpg

... simply knock joint off shaft with large hammer and block of hardwood

E0Xg1sr.jpg

V1zz68q.jpg

disconnecting boot from inner joint it comes apart straight away 

sEvWwO3.jpg

'wheels' lift off tripod journals and are also sealed so will not fall apart as with some types of spider bearings

#3 ffoy

ffoy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:29 PM

still not had time to do the repairs on the car (CV joint etc) but have 2 new front tyres (Landsail) and 2 rear shocks ordered.

However... am thinking am in for another few years of torture (like with the 1.8 Mistral) as the car had developed a crazy fault where in windy weather it really struggles then the idle goes nuts (needled jumping up and down) and it sorts itself if you turn the car off and re-start but in last few days this isn't working and it's becoming a pig to drive.

Have no idea what it could be  -_-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users