Cold air induction - Exhausts / Induction (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Cold air induction

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jack s

jack s

Mosquito

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.2 tdci
  • Name:Jack

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:28 PM

Hi,

Has anybody come up with ideas, improved on existing system or actually put into place their own designed system ?

I understand that under bonnet heat is undesirable and basically the colder the air the more dense it becomes giving more oxygen to the engine, which in turn gives more power.

I know about the short ram air systems which, although an improvement on the existing system, still draws air from under the bonnet.

I prefer the idea of sourcing the air from outside the bonnet, but this too has its problems. Rain ingress, routing pipework, air flow etc.

I located the source of air on the Mondy, right neat the grill, with a sort of deflector on it, obviously to help stop water getting in.

So I am left with thoughts, a few of these are ; plumbers waste pipe lagged with heat deflector tape, minimise bends, locations of cold air source using grills with suitable fittings for the pipes, air box modifications, air filters, research airflow from air box to inlet manifold etc.

If you think I am losing the plot, talking a load of rubbish, please tell me. I am getting older and sometimes think this is happening anyway !

I look forward to all your comments

Regards,
Jack

#2 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12924 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:44 PM

For what it’s worth.

The smooth walled, non conductive rigid piped and fully sealed cold air induction system the car left the factory with is very very good imho.

The air collection area is huge, funnelled and mostly sealed on all four sides, and situated in a really good place to catch airflow.

You have a diesel so the engine will always be cool running. It’s worth remembering that the induction system on the mk3 can supply the 3.0 NA petrol engine at 8000rpm, so supplying a 2.2 Turbo engine at 5000rpm is easy for the system :)

Edited by raynkar, 11 May 2020 - 09:47 PM.

You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#3 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12924 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:50 PM

I can’t comment on any power loss or gains from fitting cone filters etc on a diesel, but for the 3.0 petrol they tend to lead to a loss of about 2hp.

Is your 2.2 a five or six speed car?

If its a five speed there was a different air box Ford made that had a second air feed. Failing that, the 220 has a second air hole in the bottom of the air box even if it’s a six speed.

You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#4 jack s

jack s

Mosquito

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:32 PM

Hi raynkar

Mines a six speed and as you said air flow for my system is more than adequate, so I will put this idea on the back boiler.

Thank you for your reply.

#5 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 29158 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 12 May 2020 - 05:52 PM

Lots think the same adding a cold air feed. But the car already has one.

If you follow the airfilter pipework it goes down and through the wheelarch to a scoop

in the front grill area.

Large filter area that works whether its a 1.8 or a 3L, although the 3L does seem to have 2

inlet holes in the airbox.

Very little gain from messing with the airfilter/inlet side if any gains at all.

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#6 jack s

jack s

Mosquito

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:25 PM

Purple

Thank you for your comment.

I agree that the system works, so best to leave it alone.

I have an MGTF 160 in my garage with scoops on the sides. These are just for show and do nothing. I do intend to utilise them for cold air induction, or even just for extra cooling.

Regards
Jack

#7 Mondygeek

Mondygeek

dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and no money

• Members
  • 3191 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3 (54) tdci
  • Name:Ben

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:06 PM

Purple

I have an MGTF 160 in my garage with scoops on the sides. These are just for show and do nothing. I do intend to utilise them for cold air induction, or even just for extra cooling.

Regards
Jack

I had an MGtf for a short period of time and absolutely loved it. It was the only car I've been sad to sell. It was a limited edition in blue with part leather blue seats and blue hood etc.

A funny moment I remember well is coming upto an island with 2 lanes, I spotted the car coming next me with 2 women (starring) and hit the car in front of them

#8 jack s

jack s

Mosquito

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 01:09 AM

Get another one and have some more fun !

#9 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 29158 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 13 May 2020 - 03:40 AM

Purple

Regards
Jack

I had an MGtf for a short period of time and absolutely loved it. It was the only car I've been sad to sell. It was a limited edition in blue with part leather blue seats and blue hood etc.

A funny moment I remember well is coming upto an island with 2 lanes, I spotted the car coming next me with 2 women (starring) and hit the car in front of them

Are you saying they don't do that when your in your Mondeo?   You must have aged badly.   :D

Or get some tips from Ray about polishing your car.  :D

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#10 Mondygeek

Mondygeek

dont listen to me, you'll have horsepower and no money

• Members
  • 3191 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3 (54) tdci
  • Name:Ben

Posted 13 May 2020 - 05:44 AM

Purple

Regards
Jack

Are you saying they don't do that when your in your Mondeo? You must have aged badly. :D

Or get some tips from Ray about polishing your car. :D
Need some tips on polishing something 😂 with the straight through pipes I get looked at like an asbo rather than with sex appeal at 26 years old now I'm starting to think I had a rough paper round but cutting my own hair at the moment is definitely attracting unwanted attention... Need to start singing "I'm too sexy for my Ford"

Edited by Mondygeek, 13 May 2020 - 05:44 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users