LPG for ST? - V6 'Duratec' Petrol Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

LPG for ST?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 riber3

riber3

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ghia x estate tddi
  • Name:Paul Ribera

Posted 02 May 2020 - 10:26 AM

Hi everyone,

Just a curiosity post really as I was wondering if anyone had converted a V6 to run on LPG and was it worth it?? how much did it cost it you and are you happy with the results??

#2 frembrit

frembrit

MEG Corporal

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 2607 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4.5
  • Name:Dave

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:02 PM

POPULAR

Hi Paul,

I had my old W reg ST24 converted in 2006 and used it until it died (too many faults to fix) in 2013. For me it was worth it as I kept the car for a long time. Cost me £1666 fitted for a multi point injected system. I did about 70,000 miles and saved over £3700 against running it on petrol. The mileage would have been a bit higher except I changed jobs and didn't travel so far to work.

You need to break even first before you start saving money. The cost of LPG varies a bit depending on where you fill up; I had an account with Countrywide Farmers and they have their own unmanned sites dotted around. This was the cheapest option and petrol stations tend to be a bit dearer. Long journeys can be a challenge as you need to plan where you can fill up.

You still need petrol to start the car and when it's warmed up the system will automatically switch to LPG, you can manually switch between the two after that. Once on LPG the power is slightly down when compared to petrol as too is the economy, from memory I was getting 28 mpg on petrol and 20-25 mpg on LPG. I had a tank that fitted in to the spare wheel well, can't remember the capacity, but range was about 220 miles.

Running LPG also causes extra load on the ignition system, you may need to adjust the spark gap (info on the net somewhere), I found that I had to change my plugs more frequently and I did have a problem once with the coil pack (down to 5 cylinders firing), leads and plugs with a tracking issue.

Overall I was happy with it, but I wouldn't want to do it again due to the hassle of filling up more frequently and trying to find a place to fill up at. That's why I ended up with a diesel (god I miss the V6), I worked out that a diesel car needed to average at least 38 mpg (back in 2013) for me to be spending the same as I did on LPG and Petrol.

Attached Thumbnails

• LPG1.JPG
  • LPG2.JPG
  • LPG3.JPG
  • LPG4.JPG
  • LPG5.JPG

• riber3 likes this

Mondeo 2.2 TDCI Titanium X Sport (MK4.5), Panther Black | S-Max 2.5T front brake calipers and 316mm discs |  Fuel Log

Now Dead - Mondeo ST24, 2000 W reg, Amparo Blue | ST170 Calipers and Discs | Goodridge Hoses | GW Decat | K&N Panel Filter | Black eyes | LPG

Honda Hornet, 2004, Matt Blue.

#3 riber3

riber3

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 02:47 PM

Hi Paul,

I had my old W reg ST24 converted in 2006 and used it until it died (too many faults to fix) in 2013. For me it was worth it as I kept the car for a long time. Cost me £1666 fitted for a multi point injected system. I did about 70,000 miles and saved over £3700 against running it on petrol. The mileage would have been a bit higher except I changed jobs and didn't travel so far to work.

You need to break even first before you start saving money. The cost of LPG varies a bit depending on where you fill up; I had an account with Countrywide Farmers and they have their own unmanned sites dotted around. This was the cheapest option and petrol stations tend to be a bit dearer. Long journeys can be a challenge as you need to plan where you can fill up.

You still need petrol to start the car and when it's warmed up the system will automatically switch to LPG, you can manually switch between the two after that. Once on LPG the power is slightly down when compared to petrol as too is the economy, from memory I was getting 28 mpg on petrol and 20-25 mpg on LPG. I had a tank that fitted in to the spare wheel well, can't remember the capacity, but range was about 220 miles.

Running LPG also causes extra load on the ignition system, you may need to adjust the spark gap (info on the net somewhere), I found that I had to change my plugs more frequently and I did have a problem once with the coil pack (down to 5 cylinders firing), leads and plugs with a tracking issue.

Overall I was happy with it, but I wouldn't want to do it again due to the hassle of filling up more frequently and trying to find a place to fill up at. That's why I ended up with a diesel (god I miss the V6), I worked out that a diesel car needed to average at least 38 mpg (back in 2013) for me to be spending the same as I did on LPG and Petrol.

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for that as it was a fascinating read and I learnt a lot from it. Although Lpg maybe more available your way of keeping the cost down was brilliant. I think the pro's & con's of it now maybe more in favour of keeping one standard unless you buy one that has already been converted but from what you said on the cost of fuel saving, it was definitely worth it for you at that time.

At present I am just considering future options as like you I run a diesel and funnily enough in the same colour Amparo Blue!! I did have a late MK2 ST24 for while and did enjoy driving it. and it did have a nice punch when needed!! but I then had to move onto estates and its now becoming a choice between something I like (classic maybe) or something newer and cheap on fuel to keep the peace!! But then a again there is the argument of diesel,petrol or hybrid I know that I prefer the diesel for economy but will the future let me keep it and if so for how long!!

#4 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12924 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 May 2020 - 04:40 PM

POPULAR

While LPG is generally a good idea I’ve heard lots of negative stories of LPG conversions with the 3.0 Duratec engine.

There are threads on the subject you could look up to help you decide whether you think it’s worth doing with this one specific engine, as opposed to info on conversions generally. :)

• riber3 likes this
You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#5 riber3

riber3

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 05:25 PM

While LPG is generally a good idea I’ve heard lots of negative stories of LPG conversions with the 3.0 Duratec engine.

There are threads on the subject you could look up to help you decide whether you think it’s worth doing with this one specific engine, as opposed to info on conversions generally. :)

Thanks for the info I will have a search through the posts and see what I find. Do you think was a result in the development of the engine to increase BHP in the later models??

#6 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 29158 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 02 May 2020 - 05:44 PM

POPULAR

The money it costs to convert will pay for a lot of fuel.  Unless your doing really high miles

or intend on keeping the car forver it may never pay for itself.

When you come to resell it probably wont add any value.

A lot will depend on whether you get the LPG system serviced or just fit and forget until it

stops working.

Did it to a Range Rover, bought the kit myself from Tinley Tech? LR show at Donnington some

years back.  Only cost me £400 or so (carbs) but the tank was huge which it needed with that

V8.    As with fembrit would i do it again? The answer would be no.  Too much effort.

Doubt its about the engines increased power, but the way the kits are designed to integrate with the cars ECU.  The ECU will be looking for fuel pressure and air flow levels which may alter a fair bit on LPG. These figures maybe outside its standard range.

• riber3 likes this

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#7 raynkar

raynkar

• Members
  • 12924 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for the info I will have a search through the posts and see what I find. Do you think was a result in the development of the engine to increase BHP in the later models??

It’s a different engine in the later models.

You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

#8 riber3

riber3

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for that , as a former V8 owner I can see why you did it and the cost of the kit was pretty good but it does seem to have its downside. as for the duratec engine I see that what you said about the ECU and the LPG system may the reason why its has so many problems.

So far all I am learning from this unless I am going to do really high mileage and want the V6 I may as well stick with a diesel!! lol

Not that,  that is a bad thing and I am very grateful for everyone's  experiences and thoughts

#9 raynkar

raynkar

• Members
  • 12924 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:13 AM

POPULAR

The money it costs to convert will pay for a lot of fuel.  Unless your doing really high miles

or intend on keeping the car forver it may never pay for itself.

When you come to resell it probably wont add any value.

A lot will depend on whether you get the LPG system serviced or just fit and forget until it

stops working.

Did it to a Range Rover, bought the kit myself from Tinley Tech? LR show at Donnington some

years back.  Only cost me £400 or so (carbs) but the tank was huge which it needed with that

V8.    As with fembrit would i do it again? The answer would be no.  Too much effort.

Doubt its about the engines increased power, but the way the kits are designed to integrate with the cars ECU.  The ECU will be looking for fuel pressure and air flow levels which may alter a fair bit on LPG. These figures maybe outside its standard range.

Had the same on my Range Rover. It would never run on LPG from cold, and always had to be warmed up a bit first.

• riber3 likes this

#10 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 29158 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:14 PM

POPULAR

I had a prime button which injected some LPG into the intake and it did start and run on LPG.

But i was told it may need to run on petrol then switch, but mine always started fine on LPG. 

Later found out there wase a connector pipe between the carbs/manifolds and i may have

fitted the LPG block the wrong side of that or it needed blocking and drilling a new joiner. 

Something to do with it being before ot after the LPG block.

Long time and i forget what the issue was, but it ran fairly rich due to that. Sub 10mpg i think.

Little row of LEDs to act as a fuel gauge, USELESS.  Got my daughter to lean over the rear seats and

tell me what the gauge read.   :D

• riber3 likes this

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users