Which C-Max is best? - Ford C-Max Forum - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Which C-Max is best?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chrisland

chrisland

Little Megger

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo
  • Name:Christopher

Posted 18 April 2020 - 06:40 AM

I am considering selling my Mondeo and buying a C-Max in the future. The reasons are that the Mondeo is getting a bit long in the tooth unfortunately, and my wife wants something higher to drive as she is the main driver now. I will have around £5000 to spend and want to spend it wisely as the car will have to last at least 5 years ( i like to get my moneys worth). What could I expect for the money? I would possibly consider petrol but seeing as my wife does 1000 miles a month, then diesel would be possibly the more economic alternative. Having said that, I don`t want a 1.6 HDi as I am well aware of the problems they have. I work as a parts person and our company will not sell turbos for these due to warranty problems. Is the 1800 diesel any good? They used to be a bit agricultural years ago or is there a 2.0 diesel version preferably chain driven. So many questions but I do have a bit of spare time at the moment to come to some decisions. Any feed back on C-Max ownership as well would be helpful. Thanks and stay safe.

#2 turbopete1

turbopete1

TF regular

• Members
  • 561 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mk4 mondeo zetec
  • Name:Peter

Posted 18 April 2020 - 08:44 PM

my kids mother had a 1.6 (2011 model titanium) she had it around 3 years, put around 40k miles on it (taking it to around 70k when she sold it) never once had any issues.

the 1.8 diesel was a royal pain and had LOADS of issues, usually injectors, and is generally regarded as one of the worst engines in the range. the 2.0 diesel is the same as in the Mondeo. timing belt from crank to 1 cam, chain connecting the 2 cams. belts are due at 125k or 10 years according to ford (mine will be getting done soon at 9.5 years and just under 100k miles).

as for which is better, a Mondeo in, for example, Zetec trim is better equipped than a Cmax in Zetec trim. i personally rathe the Mondeo nicer to ride in, nicer to drive bigger boot, and generally a nicer car. The Cmax on the other hand is higher up (great if you need that)smaller (especially in the boot department which isnt bad but nowhere near Mondeo size if you need it).

I didnt spend much time with the Cmax but it seemed ok, although i would either live with a bit less grunt and get a 1.6 diesel OR go all out and get a 2.0 diesel (if you can find one as they seem rare in the Cmax) but ive had diesels for years. i would suggest avoiding the 1.8 diesel at all costs. petrol engines, theyre all fairly reliable but the 1.6 might be a bit short of power (i find the 1.6 petrol short of power even in the regular focus) but reliable.

it boils down to if its a car for you and the wife with occasional pasengers, or if you regularly carry 4 or 5 people and a boot full of luggage. if the latter, bigger engine might be better.

personally id stick with another Mondeo BUT finding them with sensible mileage is often hard compared to the Cmax. all i can say is the Cmax the kids mother had was replaced by a Nissan Joke, and she regrets that move every time she gets in the nissan. she HATED Fords before i met her, then i introduced her to the joys of a Puma (a proper one) a Focus eestate (mk1) then a Mondeo. then she crumbled and bought a cmax. when the Nissan goes, if budget allows it WILL be replaced by another Ford, but not sure which (she NEVER buys the same model twice. she has had a Cmax so will never own another. i think its mental! find something that suits what you need, and stick with them, i say. thats why ive always had fairly big cars!)

#3 chrisland

chrisland

Little Megger

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo
  • Name:Christopher

Posted 19 April 2020 - 12:23 PM

Thank you. So much to think about.

#4 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 28204 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:44 PM

When you check what the taxi drivers are using the 2L diesel engines are

probably most common.

Less stress compared to a smaller unit so usually capable of high miles with

the right servicing.

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#5 turbopete1

turbopete1

TF regular

• Members
  • 561 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mk4 mondeo zetec
  • Name:Peter

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:31 PM

When you check what the taxi drivers are using the 2L diesel engines are

probably most common.

Less stress compared to a smaller unit so usually capable of high miles with

the right servicing.

im just judging by the ones i see to sell online, especially in the Northeast where i live. ive seen very few 2.0 C-max to sell and 1.6's are common

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users