Ford Automobiles Forum banner

2.5T doing my own oil change

8K views 112 replies 12 participants last post by  eastmondy 
#1 ·
First time for everything!

I just dont know where to get a replacement sump plug washer from? All oil change guides say to change it.

#2 ·
#3 ·
It would not stop me from doing the job.
It is very rare that the washer needs replacing

Reactions: tellmah
#4 ·
I did mine last year and didn't replace the washer.
I haven't had any leaks from it.

Sent from my J8210 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TreborB
#6 ·
#7 ·
#8 ·
Just been browsing the forum and I saw an older post which said that 0W40 was the right oil for the 2.5T but all lookup sites seem to show 5W30?

Can i do better than this one for £27 per 4 litres?

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/castrol-magnatec-stop-start-a5-engine-oil-5w-30-4ltr-521773421
Have you tried eBay, there are a lot of sellers that sell the genuine Ford Castrol oil. 5-30w is the correct spec.
It should be WSS-M2C913-C or D which I think is for diesels.
If you Google the numbers it will tell what you need.

#9 ·
Thanks I did check ebay but prices seem higher than ECP with their discount codes, plus I can't collect it.

The Castrol Magnatec Stop Start meets the 913-c requirement according to its description.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Thanks I did check ebay but prices seem higher than ECP with their discount codes, plus I can't collect it.

The Castrol Magnatec Stop Start meets the 913-c requirement according to its description.
I got 3×5 ltr from Park motor group off eBay last year for £75. I'm sure it takes more than 5ltr to fill it, do it made sense to buy 3.
I guess it's pot luck when they put the products up though.

#12 ·
Do you need the stop start oil though if it's dearer. The 2.5 isn't stop start.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
ECP didnt do a standard magnatec in big sizes hence why i selected the stop start one.

Just would like a good brand don't mind which.

The choices on ECP are:

* Castrol Magnatec stop start

* Mobil super 3000

* Shell helix ultra

* Shell helix HX7

* Triple QX.

They are all fairly similar in price after the discount code - circa £40-50 for 2 packs.

#14 ·
Start stop oil is fine. It's the one it recommends on their website.

I use it without any problems (My car is not start/stop either but is diesel)

#16 ·
Just been out to have a look at the car. Good news is oil filter seems easy to access on these. Bad news is I was hoping to be able to reach the sump plug without jacking the car but don't think I can.

Anyway, worse news is that I have now spotted there is no undertray present. Arggghhh. I hate when these garages don't properly put things back together its so fking lazy.

Anyone know where I can get one from or will it be a trawl of the breakers yards? I'll also need the bolts.

Thanks

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
That ECP price is a rip off. It is £35 at Halfords and I have never paid anywhere near that.

The 5 30 stop start is spot on spec if you want Castrol.

I never pay anymore than £25 for it - it is very often only £18 at Tesco's for 4 litres (which I post up on here) but don't know if Tesco have the offer at moment. When it is on offer I get 3 cans, does 2 oil and filter changes.

Frembrit, because I post up the Tesco offer isn't it yourself that has a garage full of it, ha ha

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/8008816126?iid=401235042871&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=401235042871&targetid=879861090217&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006966&poi=&campaignid=9446166409&mkgroupid=99849179030&rlsatarget=pla-879861090217&abcId=1140486&merchantid=9918374&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu_XbuqK46AIV2vZRCh3kLAXCEAQYASABEgJfI_D_BwE

#19 ·
ECP price after discount code is £27, but i'll keep an eye on tesco thanks.

re the undertray, this has really annoyed me. Can anyone help with finding the part number and also whether this undertray will be common to all mk4s or whether I'll need one specific to this engine?

Thanks

#20 ·

re the undertray, this has really annoyed me. Can anyone help with finding the part number and also whether this undertray will be common to all mk4s or whether I'll need one specific to this engine?

Thanks
Have a look at catcar.info.
It should be there.

#21 ·
OK, in these "difficult times" I reckon I would go with £27 if you want the Castrol

#22 ·
That ECP price is a rip off. It is £35 at Halfords and I have never paid anywhere near that.

The 5 30 stop start is spot on spec if you want Castrol.

I never pay anymore than £25 for it - it is very often only £18 at Tesco's for 4 litres (which I post up on here) but don't know if Tesco have the offer at moment. When it is on offer I get 3 cans, does 2 oil and filter changes.

Frembrit, because I post up the Tesco offer isn't it yourself that has a garage full of it, ha ha
Yes mate...just been out to the shed and I have 3x4L and 2x2L bottles...haha :biggrin: Not quite enough for 3 changes so I might have to buy more, LOL

Reactions: TreborB
#23 ·

Thanks
It should be there.

Is this the right diagram, its hard to tell?

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l=bWFya2V0PT1ldXJvfHxjYXRfaWQ9PTExMDAyfHxjYWJicj09R0NBMnx8dGhrPT0zfHxzdD09NjB8fHN0cz09eyIyMCI6IkV1cm9wZSIsIjMwIjoiTW9uZGVvIENBMiAyMDA3LTIwMTQiLCI0MCI6IjUgQm9keSBBbmQgUGFpbnQiLCI1MCI6IjUwMTAyIEJvZHkgQW5kIFBhaW50LkZyb250IEJvZHkgU3lzdGVtIiwiNjAiOiI1MDEwMjE1IEFpciBEZWZsZWN0b3JzIn18fEVOPT1FTkhVMHx8QlM9PUJTSEEwfHxhbHBoYT09NXx8Z3JvdXA9PTUwMTAyfHxzZWN0PT01MDAxQUVIfHxzZXQ9PUEyNTAxMDJ8fGltZz09RzAxNjI4ODAwNXx8ZjEyPT0tOTk4MjE1NjgwKzEzNw%3D%3D

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
#26 ·

Thanks
It should be there.

Is this the right diagram, its hard to tell?

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l=bWFya2V0PT1ldXJvfHxjYXRfaWQ9PTExMDAyfHxjYWJicj09R0NBMnx8dGhrPT0zfHxzdD09NjB8fHN0cz09eyIyMCI6IkV1cm9wZSIsIjMwIjoiTW9uZGVvIENBMiAyMDA3LTIwMTQiLCI0MCI6IjUgQm9keSBBbmQgUGFpbnQiLCI1MCI6IjUwMTAyIEJvZHkgQW5kIFBhaW50LkZyb250IEJvZHkgU3lzdGVtIiwiNjAiOiI1MDEwMjE1IEFpciBEZWZsZWN0b3JzIn18fEVOPT1FTkhVMHx8QlM9PUJTSEEwfHxhbHBoYT09NXx8Z3JvdXA9PTUwMTAyfHxzZWN0PT01MDAxQUVIfHxzZXQ9PUEyNTAxMDJ8fGltZz09RzAxNjI4ODAwNXx8ZjEyPT0tOTk4MjE1NjgwKzEzNw%3D%3D
Right diagram,but which of the two parts I don't know. I'll look at mine later to see if I can tell.
You'll also need the front splitter 8310c if you haven't got it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.