Bio Petrol? Is your car too old? - Fuels / Oils / Additives / MPG - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

Photo

Bio Petrol? Is your car too old?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stonekeeper

stonekeeper

TF regular

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo titanium x
  • Name:Mark

Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:16 AM

A consultation that could see the greener E10 petrol replace the current standard unleaded at UK fuel pumps from next year is currently underway.

https://fleetworld.c...rade-from-2021/

#2 Communist

Communist

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2005 Mondeo 1.8
  • Name:Karl Marx

Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:39 AM

Boo.

While my Mondeo just about gets away with it, I'll still be avoiding it. I'd even avoid E5 if I could find E0 anywhere. Ethanol in the tank absorbs water. That water sinks to the bottom, which can't be good for the fuel pump. If you leave the car for a while so the bottom of the tank is full of water, that isn't going to help starting either.

If you have an older car with a metal fuel tank and/or carburettors (like I also have), then you've got even more problems. The bottom of the tank rusts, then you get rust particles jamming up the fuel system, as well as Ethanol not burning as well as petrol causing poor running, meaning carb jets have to be resized. Some older seals might not like it as well and could begin to leak.

#3 TreborB

TreborB

Powershifts Forever

• Members
  • 4795 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 07 March 2020 - 09:56 AM

POPULAR

If it actually does what it says in the article I am all for it.
Who wouldn't be?
It also states E5 will still be available, so why the concern.
Time these old vehs were dumped anyway.
We are way overdue on moving forward, time to actually do something meaningful
  • stonekeeper likes this

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

#4 stonekeeper

stonekeeper

TF regular

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo titanium x
  • Name:Mark

Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:19 AM

If it actually does what it says in the article I am all for it.
Who wouldn't be?
It also states E5 will still be available, so why the concern.
Time these old vehs were dumped anyway.
We are way overdue on moving forward, time to actually do something meaningful

I agree on the environment angle.

But have in mind that although I am now in a position to run a newer vehicle i remember as my children grew up i was running whatever i could buy at auction with a 12 mth mot for £300.

So it;s like a Tax on the less affluent?

So as long as help is available for young families to upgrade?

#5 twincarbs

twincarbs

I Love Diesel

• Members
  • 2137 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Mondeo 2.2 TDCi

Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:40 AM

POPULAR

I know this doesn't mention diesel, but according to the handbook, my Mondeo is already incompatible with the current B7 standard.

I'm doing my bit for the environment my making my car last as long as it possibly can.

• stonekeeper likes this

I asked a blind parachutist how he knew when he was about to hit the ground. He said that his dog lead went slack.

#6 TreborB

TreborB

Powershifts Forever

• Members
  • 4795 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 320i M Sport
  • Name:TrevorB

Posted 07 March 2020 - 02:40 PM

Most of the younger generation have already got late model cars - these days they just dive into a main dealer and get a new, or near new, vaux Corsa, Peugeot or similar on a no deposit 5 year stitch up deal or even even a low monthly payment 2 year Jobby and then hand the car back and walk away with nothing!
Stone keeper, help is already available to young families - it is called The Bank of Grandad and Grandma, ha ha

Edited by TreborB, 07 March 2020 - 02:43 PM.

BMW 320i M Sport 2019 Mineral Grey, Steptronic 8 speed ZF Auto

( Sorry but NO 2.3 Ecoboost 8 Speed Auto Mondeo's to be found!)

Focus 2018 Mk3.5, 1 Litre Ecoboost 140ps ST Line, SYNC3 Sat Nav, Parking Sensors, Colour Magnetic - Gifted to the Wife! Then Sold Aug 2019

Mondeo Mk5 Titanium 2L Ecoboost 240ps, X Pack, Body Kit, Rear Spoiler, 19" Alloys, LED Headlamps, Sony 12 Spkr Audio, Park Assist, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, Magnetic, Built Sept 2015,Sold Oct 2018.

Mondeo TitaniumX Sport 240ps 2L Ecoboost Powershift 2011 - Sold 2016 But Never Forgotten.

2007 - 2010, 4 New Focus ST225s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users